NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB Draft Discussion (3 People Needed to Help With Evaluation)

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Thoughts on injuries? I think they should only be taken into consideration if they're career-threatening like Savard or Pronger. If it's someone who's out a while like Stamkos, or out for the season like Julio Jones, or just coming back from injury like Percy Harvin, I think we should assume they're at full health.

Yeah, I don't think current injuries should be taken into consideration. However, I think injury history and previous health issues should obviously be a factor, as it is in real life.

Let's get this draft moving...

Aela*

Trap Jesus
Murray Bannerman
Bad News Bears
BigBenSF
Datsyuk Dangles*
CoachBadkitten
Habsfannick
Morozov**
Pajicz***
sunsoutgunsout
Nazem Bozak

* Might team up with Ben due to lack of knowledge about baseball/basketball
** Interested if there's no baseball
*** Dependent on the draft finishing this year

I'm good to start this up whenever. 8-11 teams seems like a good number for this. People are still definitely welcome to join before we get it all sorted out though.

You forgot to put me in ;x

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
K, I'm going to close it off there.

Here's a final list of people that are in and can run a draft on their own:

Trap Jesus
Murray Bannerman
Bad News Bears
BigBenSF
CoachBadkitten
Habsfannick
Pajicz
sunsoutgunsout
Nazem Bozak
DemonsOnIce96
Aela
Watch for the Yeti

People that are going to team up with someone:

Datsyuk Dangles (doesn't know baseball or basketball)
Weylspin (doesn't know basketball or football)

So we need two people to take Datsyuk Dangles and Weylspin onto their teams, and we'll have a nice even 12 teams for the final draft number.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Now we just need to decide on what we're drafting and we'll be good to go. My recommendation:

NHL

12 F
6 D
2 G

NBA

1 PG
1 SG
1 SF
1 PF
1 C
7 Bench

NFL

Offense:

1 QB
1 RB
1 FB
3 WR
1 TE
2 T
2 G
1 C

Defense:

2 DE
1/2 DT
1/2 MLB
2 OLB
2 CB
1 SS
1 FS

Special Teams:

1 K
1 P
1 KR/PR

MLB

1 1B
1 2B
1 3B
1 SS
1 C
3 OF
5 SP
3 RP

One thing I should note is that I think you should be able to draft any player for any position, but you have to notify people what position you're drafting them as when you draft (ie. you're already loaded at center but Henrik Sedin is left on the board, so you draft him and convert him to LW; people would just have to take into consideration whether or not they think he would be effective in that position when we're evaluating the teams).

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
Now we just need to decide on what we're drafting and we'll be good to go. My recommendation:

----

One thing I should note is that I think you should be able to draft any player for any position, but you have to notify people what position you're drafting them as when you draft (ie. you're already loaded at center but Henrik Sedin is left on the board, so you draft him and convert him to LW; people would just have to take into consideration whether or not they think he would be effective in that position when we're evaluating the teams).

Sounds good to me. Maybe you should draw the draft order so we could possibly start trading picks...

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Sounds good to me. Maybe you should draw the draft order so we could possibly start trading picks...

Ya, I'll do that now. Just going to type up a couple options for how we evaluate the teams after.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Couple options for how we rate the teams. Only mentioning this now because it could change the way people draft.

Option 1: Regular Season

- Simple. There are 12 teams. All you have to do is rank the teams in every sport from 1-11, not including your own team. I could come up with some grading system and then a total score for all 4 sports or something.
- People would vote on how these teams would perform over the course of a season

Option 2: Playoffs

- After the draft, every sport is randomly divided up into two divisions of 6 (random groups of people for every distinct sport)
- People rank the teams in their own division 1-5, not including their own team, to determine seedings
- 1st and 2nd get first round byes, 3rd vs. 6th, 4th. vs. 5th
- People from division 1 will then vote on all the matchups for division 2, and division 2 people will vote on all the matchups for division 1; once your team is eliminated, you can vote on any matchup
- Once we have two division winners, everyone else votes on the Championship matchup
- This would be voting on 7 game series for NHL, MLB and NBA, and 1 game matchups for NFL.
- Calling how many games the series would be won in could be an added tiebreaker in case of ties as well

Playoffs adds the wrinkle of individual matchups being important (ie. this team's passing game is way too much for that team's weak pass defense to handle), which might change people's draft strategies. Not sure if people want that or not.

I personally prefer the playoffs. Ranking 11 teams accurately can be difficult, there isn't as much info to process, and a lot of the bias could be taken out of it.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Draft Order (done using a random number generator at random.org)

1. sunsoutgunsout
2. Bad News Bears
3. CoachBadKitten
4. Trap Jesus
5. Pajicz
6. BigBenSF
7. Murray Bannerman
8. Habsfannick
9. Nazem Bozak
10. Aela
11. Watch for the Yeti
12. DemonsOnIce 96

It'll be a serpentine draft, of course.

Datsyuk Dangles and Weylspin still need to join teams too.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
My first round pick is on the block, looking to trade down...

I personally prefer the playoffs. Ranking 11 teams accurately can be difficult, there isn't as much info to process, and a lot of the bias could be taken out of it.

Agreed, the playoffs could be interesting...

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Draft Order (done using a random number generator at random.org)

1. sunsoutgunsout
2. Bad News Bears
3. CoachBadKitten
4. Trap Jesus
5. Pajicz
6. BigBenSF
7. Murray Bannerman
8. Habsfannick
9. Nazem Bozak
10. Aela
11. Watch for the Yeti
12. DemonsOnIce 96

It'll be a serpentine draft, of course.

Datsyuk Dangles and Weylspin still need to join teams too.

YEAAAAAAH buddy. When can I make my pick?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
YEAAAAAAH buddy. When can I make my pick?

Just want to shore up if everyone's good with what we're drafting (post #31) and if they want to go with the playoff format or regular season format (post #33). Would also be good for Datsyuk Dangles and Weylspin to go on their teams before it really gets underway. I'm gonna PM people to let them know.

You don't have to keep your pick a secret or anything though. I don't think any of that stuff is going to affect your pick.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Just want to shore up if everyone's good with what we're drafting (post #31) and if they want to go with the playoff format or regular season format (post #33). Would also be good for Datsyuk Dangles and Weylspin to go on their teams before it really gets underway. I'm gonna PM people to let them know.

You don't have to keep your pick a secret or anything though. I don't think any of that stuff is going to affect your pick.

Alright, my pick is Lebron. (Shocking, I know)

EDIT: I'm fine with the rosters, and would prefer playoff format.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
K, sent PMs to everyone. I just noticed looking back through the thread that Aela said they would prefer to team up with someone, which I missed. I'm not sure if it's best for Aela to team up with both Datsyuk and Weylspin or if we can work something else out.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Playoff format looks good to me.

How is the draft going to work? Where will it take place?

Either just going to do it in this thread, or start a new one on this board. I'll keep the OP updated with rosters as they're picked.

As for individual picks, just state the player, the position you're picking him at, and the league, so:

Lebron James, SF, NBA

I think there should be a 48 hour time limit or something. If you miss your pick, the person after you can make their selection and just make a note after their pick that that person has been passed over. That person can jump back in and make their pick at any time though.

Aela*

Can we have a separate draft thread with this being discussion/trading/asking questions?

I'm thinking a 12 hr clock is fine, unless you want to have this run for AGES. Most of the mock drafts I've been in had 8-12 hour clocks and they were still slow as hell because there would always be someone who didn't pick.

I'm teaming up with Weyl, don't mind if DD comes along for the ride, but you'd want to ask him.

sunsoutgunsout

#redacted
Jan 14, 2013
Either just going to do it in this thread, or start a new one on this board. I'll keep the OP updated with rosters as they're picked.

As for individual picks, just state the player, the position you're picking him at, and the league, so:

Lebron James, SF, NBA

I think there should be a 48 hour time limit or something. If you miss your pick, the person after you can make their selection and just make a note after their pick that that person has been passed over. That person can jump back in and make their pick at any time though.

Sorry, in that case:

SOGO selects: Lebron James, PG/SG/SF/PF/C, NBA

:)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Can we have a separate draft thread with this being discussion/trading/asking questions?

I'm thinking a 12 hr clock is fine, unless you want to have this run for AGES. Most of the mock drafts I've been in had 8-12 hour clocks and they were still slow as hell because there would always be someone who didn't pick.

I'm teaming up with Weyl, don't mind if DD comes along for the ride, but you'd want to ask him.

Yeah, I'll make one up. Also needs a better name; I'm getting sick of typing out NHL/NFL/MLB/NBA.

I'm fine with a 12 hr clock, just want to see where other people are at though. I don't want it to be one of those drafts where everyone's missing their picks.

Also, Habsfannick is out. If we can't replace him, I can still try to work something out to go along with the playoff format (which everyone prefers so far).

Tony Romo

Sep 25, 2011
I'm down with the rules. am I the only one who would want regular season and playoffs?

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm down with the rules. am I the only one who would want regular season and playoffs?

I think ranking your own division's teams kind of acts as the regular season. We could always combine the two by everyone ranking the teams in both divisions, but I think it's a bit easier if you just rank your own. It also adds a bit more intrigue to the playoffs by a new set of people that had no input in the seedings getting to vote on it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad