NHL/NFL/NBA/MLB Draft Discussion (3 People Needed to Help With Evaluation)

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I need 3 people to help out with the evaluation process. Please post in this thread or PM me if you're interested. Please see below for how we'll be evaluating hte teams.

Evaluating Teams Once They Have Been Drafted

- After the draft, every sport is randomly divided up into two divisions of 6 (random groups of people for every distinct sport)
- People rank the teams in their own division 1-5, not including their own team, based on how they think they'd perform in the regular season to determine seedings
- 1st and 2nd get first round byes, 3rd vs. 6th, 4th. vs. 5th (top seed vs. bottom seed matchups continue throughout the playoffs)
- People from division 1 will vote on all the matchups for division 2, and division 2 people will vote on all the matchups for division 1; once your team is eliminated, you can vote on any matchup
- Once we have two division winners, the 10 teams that have been eliminated vote on the Championship matchup
- All playoffs matchups would be to determine a winner in a 7 game series for the NHL, MLB and NBA, and a 1 game matchup for the NFL.
- Calling how many games the series would be won in is an added tiebreaker for the NHL, NBA and MLB, and calling the score for point differential would be an added tiebreaker for the NFL

Purpose

12 teams will draft in serpentine order to fill out full rosters for the NHL, NFL, NBA and MLB. A full list of what positions need to be drafted for each sport can be found here:

Roster Information

Drafting Rules

- Once you're on the clock (ie. the person ahead of you makes their pick) you have a set period of time to make a pick (12 hours).
- If you go past your time slot, people after you can rush in their picks if they want, but only in sequence
- You can jump in and make your pick at any time, even after people have made their picks
- If it gets back around to you for your next pick before you've jumped back in, the same time period rule applies before people can start drafting again
- Injuries are only taken into consideration if they are career-threatening (ie. Marc Savard and Chris Pronger)

Full Info: Drafting Rules

Trading Picks

- Basically all you need to know is that you can make trades around draft picks
- You can trade an equal number of picks (ie. Player A trades their 1st, 5th and 6th round picks for Player B's 2nd, 3rd and 10th picks)
- You can also trade an unequal number of picks (ie. Player A trades 1st round pick for Player B's 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks
- In the case of an unequal trade, picks will be made up at the end of the draft with compensatory selections

Full Info: Trading Rules

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People that have expressed interest:

Trap Jesus
Murray Bannerman
Bad News Bears
BigBenSF
Datsyuk Dangles*
CoachBadkitten
Habsfannick
Morozov**

* Might team up with Ben due to lack of knowledge about baseball/basketball
** Interested if there's no baseball

Overall looks like 6-8 teams so far. I'll wait a bit longer before trying to sort it all out, but I think this is something that could work well (and maybe even better) with not that many people participating anyways.

For the people that do want in this, just let me know what your preferences are on how you want things to work. Bad News Bears came up with this in the other thread:

Maybe it would be to fill out a standard line up for each sport.

C - PF - SF - SG - PG + 5 Bench players.

C - 1B - 2B - 3B - SS - LF - CF - RF - SP x 5 - RF x 5

WR - T - G - C - G - T - TE - WR - HB - QB - WR/HB
4 x DB - 3/4 x LB - 2 x DE - 1/2 x DT.

5 x W - 5 x C - 2 x F - 6 x D - 2 x G.

I pretty much agree with all this except I'd like to draft 7 bench players for the NBA and maybe not as many relievers for the MLB. Also, I'd like to be able to just draft 12 forwards for the NHL, regardless of position, but am not too picky about any of this.

Bad News Bears

All goalies be trash
May 22, 2009
Australia
I pretty much agree with all this except I'd like to draft 7 bench players for the NBA and maybe not as many relievers for the MLB. Also, I'd like to be able to just draft 12 forwards for the NHL, regardless of position, but am not too picky about any of this.

Feel free to play around with the player limits, it was just a quick estimate.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
I'd be interested if we just can finish it before January... so I'd prefer if we would just draft starting lineups.

EDIT: Of course my bench/depth players could just be autopicked if everyone else wants to have full lineups from each sport. Also, I'd like to have more sports (soccer etc.) and less players from each sport...

Last edited:

Aela*

I might be interested but I know next to nothing about baseball and NFL so would prefer to partner up with someone.

BigBenSF*

I'd be interested if we just can finish it before January... so I'd prefer if we would just draft starting lineups.

EDIT: Of course my bench/depth players could just be autopicked if everyone else wants to have full lineups from each sport. Also, I'd like to have more sports (soccer etc.) and less players from each sport...

I'd second this. Bench players aren't really needed, and it will slow this down a bit.

I would be up for adding soccer, but I'm not sure where everyone else stands on that.

Pajicz

Mar 22, 2011
If we can get everything sorted out quickly, could we try to start as soon as possible? Because I'd really like to be a part of this draft, but as I said earlier, I probably won't be able to contribute after New Year's Eve...

EDIT: Another suggestion; head coaches?

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I don't know much about soccer but would definitely be up for adding it in if a lot of people want that. I think I know enough to get by anyways.

I'd like to keep bench players in because I wanted to try to simulate real rosters rather than making this more of a fantasy sports-type thing.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Basically going to start reeling off suggestions here.

Autopick for people that don't want to pick depth players

Whenever people don't feel like participating anymore, you can just resort to a preset list of players. I'd suggest using sports video game player ratings (Madden 25, NHL 14, NBA 2K14, MLB 13: The Show, FIFA 14 if we use soccer). I think you can get player ratings online, so you don't actually need the games. They're all rated out of 99, and you can either just have someone (me, I guess) pick the top rated players across the board, or use discretion based on what sports/positions you're lacking. Before you go on autopick you can just let me know what sports you want to focus on, as well as positions, if you want.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Drafting rules to keep the pace of the draft up

Coles Notes:

- Once you're on the clock (ie. the person ahead of you makes their pick) you have a set period of time to make a pick (12 hours).
- If you go past your time slot, people after you can rush in their picks if they want, but only in sequence
- You can jump in and make your pick at any time, even after people have made their picks
- If it gets back around to you for your next pick before you've jumped back in, the same time period rule applies before people can start drafting again

Not sure how other draft games have worked, but I think this is something that could work and wouldn't even be that much of a detriment to people because there are so many different directions to go for drafting. You might miss your pick and still have your target there 10 picks later. I get people aren't going to be hanging around here 24/7 and might be gone long periods of time, so this is just something that could make it move more smoothly. You can also leave your suggested picks with someone to autopick for you if you know you're not gonna be on for a while.

Example:

- I have 2nd pick in a 10 team draft. Guy ahead of me picks Lebron at 6:30pm and I haven't made my pick by 6:30pm two days later.
- 3rd team has been sitting there waiting for Crosby, and finally gets to take him when 6:31pm hits. All they have to do is leave this note after the pick:

*Trap Jesus is still on the clock

- 4th team jumps in to take Cabrera at 8:00pm the same day, still leaving the "*Trap Jesus is still on the clock" note below their pick
- 5th team, Joe Blow, is slacking as well and doesn't make their pick by 8:00pm two days later
- 6th team takes Peyton Manning after Joe Blow's time period is up, now leaving the note:

*Trap Jesus is still on the clock
*Joe Blow is still on the clock

- Joe Blow wises up and takes Kershaw before the 7th Team can, and just leaves the "*Trap Jesus is still on the clock"
- Everything else goes off with out a hitch until my 2nd round pick, where I miss my time slot again
- The first team that took LeBron jumps in with his pick, now leaving the note:

*Trap Jesus is still on the clock X 2

Might all seem complicated but all you really have to do is worry about the post above you, as well as knowing who is drafting before you.

Last edited:

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Trading Picks

Just throwing this one out there. Don't want to make this too confusing, but I think it could add to the draft, and it's not something you have to do.

Coles Notes:

- Basically all you need to know is that you can make trades around draft picks
- You can trade an equal number of picks (ie. Player A trades their 1st, 5th and 6th round picks for Player B's 2nd, 3rd and 10th picks)
- You can also trade an unequal number of picks (ie. Player A trades 1st round pick for Player B's 3rd, 4th and 5th round picks
- In the case of an unequal trade, picks will be made up at the end of the draft with compensatory selections

Might seem confusing but I can cover all of this stuff without anyone having to worry about the logistics of it all. All you have to do is tell me your trade and I'll make up the compensatory draft selections for people to easily view. The key points are that:

1. There is a slight incentive to make a trade earlier than anyone else to get a higher pick in the compensatory draft
2. This incentive will be greatly reduced for people that want to try to make a lot of trades early to get the highest picks in the compensatory draft

I'll explain it here for anyone interested (IT IS NOT ESSENTIAL TO READ THIS AND WILL SOUND REALLY CONFUSING):

- Player A makes the first trade of the draft, trading their 1st round pick for Player B's 1st round pick, 2nd round pick, and 3rd round pick
-If Player A doesn't make any more trades over the course of the draft, they'll have an excess of two picks in the draft. In this case, their last two picks in the draft will simply be deleted, and people will draft as if those picks aren't there.
- If Player B doesn't make any more trades, they will be short 2 picks, so they'll need to make those picks up in a compensatory round/rounds at the end of the draft.
- Because they are 2 picks short, they'll get a pick in round 1 of the compensatory draft, and round 2. They will get the first pick in both round 1 and round 2.

- Assume Team B makes another trade (they trade their 10th and 11th round picks for someone's 9th round pick).
- This leaves them short an additional pick (3 total), but because it was the only compensatory pick needed in this specific trade, it'll be made up in round 1.
- Even if the trade was made before anyone else made one, this pick will be made up after every other team's first compensatory pick in round 1.

Example if these were the only trades made, in order:

1. Team B makes a trade that makes them 2 picks short
2. Team B makes a trade that makes them 1 pick short
3. Team F makes a trade that makes them 3 picks short
4. Team G makes a trade that makes them 1 pick short
5. Team G makes a trade that makes them 2 picks short
6. Team B makes a trade that makes them 1 pick short

Round 1

1. Team B
2. Team F
3. Team G
4. Team B
5. Team G
6. Team B

Round 2

1. Team B
2. Team F
3. Team G

Round 3

1. Team F

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Trap Jesus
Murray Bannerman
Bad News Bears
BigBenSF
Datsyuk Dangles*
CoachBadkitten
Habsfannick
Morozov**
Pajicz***
sunsoutgunsout
Nazem Bozak

* Might team up with Ben due to lack of knowledge about baseball/basketball
** Interested if there's no baseball
*** Dependent on the draft finishing this year

I'm good to start this up whenever. 8-11 teams seems like a good number for this. People are still definitely welcome to join before we get it all sorted out though.

BigBenSF*

I'm up for whenever as well. I think eight teams would be the easiest for a draft.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
I'm up for whenever as well. I think eight teams would be the easiest for a draft.

I really doubt Morozov is going to be in. He responded in the other thread but didn't really seem that committed. If you and Datsyuk team up, that's 9 if Pajicz is in, which would be good too.

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
Thoughts on injuries? I think they should only be taken into consideration if they're career-threatening like Savard or Pronger. If it's someone who's out a while like Stamkos, or out for the season like Julio Jones, or just coming back from injury like Percy Harvin, I think we should assume they're at full health.

Weylspin

The Swede
Sep 4, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I'd be interested but I would probably need to team up with someone because I have no knowledge on basketball and very little on Football. I know quite a bit on Baseball and Hockey though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad