NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

This feels like what the Thornton trade must've felt like to the rest of the NHL.

Like... there's no way in hell that was the best offer that could've possibly been out there. I like Panik and all, but it's like the Yotes just went right to Chicago and didn't shop around. So either Arizona management loves Panik or Dauphin (which seems kinda dumb) or Duclair got to dictate terms and wanted to go to Chicago (which is equally dumb sounding)

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
I'm most happy for Gilbert Brule. He may have flamed out in the NHL, but good on him for getting his life back together and going out and playing hockey on his terms

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Looks like Hedman may have injured his MCL and potentially his ACL (no tweets, etc., just visually looking at the slow mo of the knee movement).

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Was he the guy that retired to become a firefighter?

He retired because his career was floundering and because for most of his hockey-playing life up to that point he was under the thumb of his dad, who was by all accounts a GIGANTIC tool and a controlling asshat who took his money and didn't let Gilbert deal with some mental health issues he had when he was younger because he felt that there was the chance that drugs or treatment could interfere with his hockey. He did talk about retiring and becoming a firefighter, but it looks like that didn't last long before he ended up heading overseas and playing hockey. He has, however, basically severed all contact with his dad. To the point that recently a guy came into a local memorabilia store here and talked to the owner about how he bought a storage locker at an auction that had belonged to Brule's dad and he just decided to stop paying after Gilbert cut him off (or maybe he couldn't afford it anymore. I dunno) and found a bunch of old memorabilia in it (jerseys from back in youth hockey, milestone pucks, awards and the like)

Reactions: Sandisfan

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Looking at the standings, it is interesting that, in the east, there are 2 teams in a playoff slot that have a negative goal differential. None in the west, and looking beyond teams in playoff slots only 4 in the entire conference.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

VGK to 30 wins last night. 4 more to set win record for inaugural season.

It'll depend on the rules that they set for the expansion. If it's exactly the same as this round, even if they use the strategy of not sweating out the side deals and lose whoever, an expansion team can put together a competitive club. It just wouldn't surprise me if the league decided to let teams protect another player or two.

CJL182

Oct 9, 2008
No "Easter Eggs"? Old joke from the defunct Marek vs Wyshynski podcast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad