NHL News/Notes XVII

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
FTR: Carolina agreement to sell to Dundon signed. (Now to vet potential majority owner who will have option of purchasing all of team within three years). NHL allowing Seattle group to run ticket drive as potential of adding 32nd NHL team (expansion price $650m).

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
Sharks have 12+ contracts expiring this summer. Opportunities abound for UFAs to sign, or trade acquisitions, etc.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
I wouldn't get your hopes up and even if we land Tavares, what are we doing with the likes of Jumbo, Pavs, and Couture?

The Sharks have 6 mil in cap space with what they have now. If the cap goes up by 7 mil, that's more than enough to offer a 9-9.5 AAV contract to Johnny T.

Thornton and Pavs aren't gonna get pay raises at their age. Thornton is the only upcoming UFA this offseason of the three. Hertl is due too but hasn't done enough to warrant much of a raise either. Couture shouldn't get more than 7.5 mil AAV max.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
The Sharks have 6 mil in cap space with what they have now. If the cap goes up by 7 mil, that's more than enough to offer a 9-9.5 AAV contract to Johnny T.

Thornton and Pavs aren't gonna get pay raises at their age. Thornton is the only upcoming UFA this offseason of the three. Hertl is due too but hasn't done enough to warrant much of a raise either. Couture shouldn't get more than 7.5 mil AAV max.

If Tavares hits the open market, he's getting at least 10 mil. Thornton and Pavs may not get pay raises but throwing out 10 mil to Tavares or more is going to make it difficult to retain those guys.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
If Tavares hits the open market, he's getting at least 10 mil. Thornton and Pavs may not get pay raises but throwing out 10 mil to Tavares or more is going to make it difficult to retain those guys.

17.5 million in cap space and that is if the cap doesn't go up like it is supposed to. And the sharks still have dead weight that needs to be removed like martin. So it could be easily over 25 million in cap space available next offseason.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
17.5 million in cap space and that is if the cap doesn't go up like it is supposed to. And the sharks still have dead weight that needs to be removed like martin. So it could be easily over 25 million in cap space available next offseason.

If the cap goes up the max then Tavares' likely ask goes right up with it and it'll be a lot closer to 12 mil if he hits the open market. The Sharks could afford it if they make certain moves but they likely would have to move on from Pavelski, Boedker, and Martin with only bringing a certain amount back in but they'd still need to get winger help and that's not going to come cheap.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
If the cap goes up the max then Tavares' likely ask goes right up with it and it'll be a lot closer to 12 mil if he hits the open market. The Sharks could afford it if they make certain moves but they likely would have to move on from Pavelski, Boedker, and Martin with only bringing a certain amount back in but they'd still need to get winger help and that's not going to come cheap.
We're only really looking at maybe bringing back Pavelski and Thornton. At 35 and 39 years old, they're probably not making more than they already are, and likely won't. In addition to that, I really don't see any player on the roster that's going to be getting raises. We're basically only looking to shed cap space in the next two years barring unforeseen scoring breakouts. If DW and Tavares made a blank check deal, it wouldn't be hard to fit the people who matter.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
We're only really looking at maybe bringing back Pavelski and Thornton. At 35 and 39 years old, they're probably not making more than they already are, and likely won't. In addition to that, I really don't see any player on the roster that's going to be getting raises. We're basically only looking to shed cap space in the next two years barring unforeseen scoring breakouts. If DW and Tavares made a blank check deal, it wouldn't be hard to fit the people who matter.

You wouldn't be bringing back Couture?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Slipped my mind but I stand by my point. We're basically shedding 10m in cap space in the next two years regardless.

I'm sure we will if not more but are we in a position to sign Tavares, keep Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Donskoi, and Heed, all while also addressing the things that this team is lacking on the wing?

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I'm sure we will if not more but are we in a position to sign Tavares, keep Thornton, Couture, Pavelski, Hertl, Donskoi, and Heed, all while also addressing the things that this team is lacking on the wing?

Let's be honest here, if they sign Tavares, they'll just convert somebody else to the wing. Couture has proven he is the best guy to play with Thornton and Pavelski.

Couture-Thornton-Pavelski
Meier-Tavares-Donskoi
Hertl-Tierney-LaBanc
Karlsson-O'Regan-Goodrow

That's a strong forward group if the Joes play anywhere near the way they have been lately.

Last edited:

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Let's be honest here, if they sign Tavares, they'll just convert somebody else to the wing. Couture has proven he is the best guy to play with Thornton and Pavelski.

Couture-Thornton-Pavelski
Meier-Tavares-Donskoi
Hertl-Tierney-LaBanc
Karlsson-O'Regan-Goodrow

That's a strong forward group if the Joes play anywhere near the way they have been lately.

I guess I just don't have the same optimism in that forward group that others may have.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad