NHL News/Notes Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...m-rock-bottom-to-earn-another-shot-at-the-nhl

David Pollak with a great article about Seto and his struggles with drinking and drugs.

"Alcohol wasn’t his only problem. Over the years, there were times he abused Ambien, a prescription drug that helps players sleep after games. In Winnipeg, he was offered cocaine and did not turn it down. “I did a lot there where I would stay up all night till 6 in the morning, 7 in the morning, do a little bit, go to morning skate, go home, sleep for six hours and get up to play,†Setoguchi said. “I’m surprised sometimes I didn’t have a heart attack. Three or four months of that.â€

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
http://www.thehockeynews.com/news/a...m-rock-bottom-to-earn-another-shot-at-the-nhl

David Pollak with a great article about Seto and his struggles with drinking and drugs.

"Alcohol wasn’t his only problem. Over the years, there were times he abused Ambien, a prescription drug that helps players sleep after games. In Winnipeg, he was offered cocaine and did not turn it down. “I did a lot there where I would stay up all night till 6 in the morning, 7 in the morning, do a little bit, go to morning skate, go home, sleep for six hours and get up to play,†Setoguchi said. “I’m surprised sometimes I didn’t have a heart attack. Three or four months of that.â€

And yet nobody helped in any bit. Which to me is the bigger problem.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
It's possible some people tried.

In my opinion certain addictions should not be given the chance to get your own help.

Especially within an organization like the nhl. It is where the league/nhlpa step in and say its the drugs or the nhl not both.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
In my opinion certain addictions should not be given the chance to get your own help.

Especially within an organization like the nhl. It is where the league/nhlpa step in and say its the drugs or the nhl not both.

The team can require player to head to counseling as part of the NHL/NHLPA substance abuse program, but unless he does it willingly, probably little will come of it. It's a confidential situation, so unless something comes out about an arrest (DUI, public intoxication, etc.), nothing is ever said (publicly).

(IOW a team can remove him from roster, "for personal reasons", and that's the extent of what is known in the public knowledge base.)

The fact this is coming out now shows that Seto's decided a change (from that old behavior) is needed.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Some additional info regarding this story (stolen from main boards):

Puts a little bit of a spin on the general perception of Evander Kane, methinks.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Some additional info regarding this story (stolen from main boards):

Puts a little bit of a spin on the general perception of Evander Kane, methinks.

Either that or it speaks to how bad Seto's life was at the time that Kane could actually help.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
http://mynews4.com/news/local/council-approves-next-step-in-bringing-pro-hockey-to-reno

The city council on Wednesday approved the RSCVA and Reno Puck Club, LLC can begin negotiations in order to bring a minor league hockey team to Reno.
The Reno Puck Club is hoping to negotiate a deal with the RSCVA to take over operations and management of the Reno Events Center, which would be home to the ice rink, and invest $5.7 million in improvements.

According to Lehner, the ice would be installed beneath the existing floor to allow the venue to continue to be used for concerts and the Reno Bighorns. They would also invest in other renovations.

Could be future ECHL affiliate for Sharks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $150.00