NHL News/Notes Part XV

Status
Not open for further replies.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
A few more details on trade...

No salary retained on either side. Looks like Leafs save a little cap space, but Senators will have to use Horton LTIR space. Phaneuf had Ottawa on his list of teams he'd accept trade to, so no "waiving" of NTC.

Could this be the domino (along with Byf signing) to get some trades going?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
A few more details on trade...

No salary retained on either side. Looks like Leafs save a little cap space, but Senators will have to use Horton LTIR space. Phaneuf had Ottawa on his list of teams he'd accept trade to, so no "waiving" of NTC.

Could this be the domino (along with Byf signing) to get some trades going?

Hmmmm... are the Leafs going to try to make a run at Stamkos?

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Hmmmm... are the Leafs going to try to make a run at Stamkos?

They will certainly have the space to do so if Stamkos makes it to free agency but this trade didn't really help them in that regard unless they turn around and move one or more of the three contracts they acquired. Cowen will help with his credit the first year but it's not much of a help towards getting Stamkos. At this point, it's actually hurt them because the three contracts don't end until after next season and amount to 1.8 mil more than Phaneuf's cap hit. However, if the Leafs buyout Cowen in the off-season, they'd lose his 3.1 mil cap hit and gain 650k in cap credit for next season.

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
They will certainly have the space to do so if Stamkos makes it to free agency but this trade didn't really help them in that regard unless they turn around and move one or more of the three contracts they acquired. Cowen will help with his credit the first year but it's not much of a help towards getting Stamkos. At this point, it's actually hurt them because the three contracts don't end until after next season and amount to 1.8 mil more than Phaneuf's cap hit. However, if the Leafs buyout Cowen in the off-season, they'd lose his 3.1 mil cap hit and gain 650k in cap credit for next season.

Well it also helps in that they freed up their captaincy spot without a controversy. They didn't need to strip him or anything this way.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Well it also helps in that they freed up their captaincy spot without a controversy. They didn't need to strip him or anything this way.

I think if that's legitimately an issue with regards to Stamkos, they're probably in trouble whether or not they sign him.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I agree, but it has happened before (Chara).

I know that had been rumored but I don't remember anyone actually confirming that that was a legitimate demand. But Boston didn't move Jumbo with the idea of signing Chara anyway so I don't think it's close enough to be a comparable for the situation. But I don't know that was a while ago and who knows what's going on with Stamkos. lol

hockeyball

Nov 10, 2007
I know that had been rumored but I don't remember anyone actually confirming that that was a legitimate demand. But Boston didn't move Jumbo with the idea of signing Chara anyway so I don't think it's close enough to be a comparable for the situation. But I don't know that was a while ago and who knows what's going on with Stamkos. lol

It doesn't have to even be a demand. Just that the Leafs know Stamkos wants to sign with them and they have decided they want to make him captain. To do so they need to get rid of their current captain, this was an easy way to do that without a bunch of media garbage.

I'm not saying it's a fact, just hypothesizing .

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
didnt see an obvious thread for this question so why not the current-est one?

is ehrhoff really so done that no one would spend even that little money on him?

yet someone would trade for 2016 phaneuf?

Led Zappa

Tomorrow Today
Jan 8, 2007
Silicon Valley
didnt see an obvious thread for this question so why not the current-est one?

is ehrhoff really so done that no one would spend even that little money on him?

yet someone would trade for 2016 phaneuf?

I would think those that are competing would be looking for someone better and those that aren't have equally skilled prospects that they hope have potential while Error is certainly over the hill.

Alwalys

Phu m.
May 19, 2010
I would think those that are competing would be looking for someone better and those that aren't have equally skilled prospects that they hope have potential while Error is certainly over the hill.

but... phaneuf

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad