NHL Newbie - Random question!

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Haha - Borderbluesfan - I immediately knew that was a compliment... not gushing or anything (we don't do that so much) but definite praise there!!!! 'Decent' is very good! I've seen more rugby than football - Sale Sharks are my team - brill!!!!

I'm loving the speed of hockey - it seems as though there is always something happening! Not sure how long it'll take me to really 'get it' all - but I'm not in any rush!

My problem was that I didn't know what club level Rugby meant in England, lol. Here in the states club level Rugby meant local, beer league Rugby teams, lol.

rivermanfan

Oct 19, 2015
Hope the games are on NHL.TV there

It may be different overseas, but here the playoff games are not available on NHL.TV because they are broadcast on national networks. That said, I'm sure there is some way to see them, but I just didn't want you to wait until the last minute, get geared up for some playoff hockey and not be able to see it. I know there are some other overseas based members here, so hopefully they will be able to provide some insight to this.

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
It may be different overseas, but here the playoff games are not available on NHL.TV because they are broadcast on national networks. That said, I'm sure there is some way to see them, but I just didn't want you to wait until the last minute, get geared up for some playoff hockey and not be able to see it. I know there are some other overseas based members here, so hopefully they will be able to provide some insight to this.

Yes rivermanfan - this was starting to bother me too... but I've checked the schedule for Wednesday on NHL.TV and it is showing the matches that are to be played then.. so that looks goodly!!! PHEW!!!!!!! :handclap: I think (but I hope someone sets me straight if I'm wrong!) that as I am overseas there aren't any blackouts for games - that is the way I watch MLB so I'm presuming its the same??!!

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014
Yes rivermanfan - this was starting to bother me too... but I've checked the schedule for Wednesday on NHL.TV and it is showing the matches that are to be played then.. so that looks goodly!!! PHEW!!!!!!! :handclap: I think (but I hope someone sets me straight if I'm wrong!) that as I am overseas there aren't any blackouts for games - that is the way I watch MLB so I'm presuming its the same??!!

There are blackouts I'm afraid. There is a subscription channel called "Premier Sports" which shows NHL games. It's not usually that bigger a deal during the regular season, but if they like the look of StL vs Chi, then you'll be out of luck. Best check their schedule.

EDIT: They are going to be showing 2 games a night live, but haven't said which yet. If they show Blues then they'll be the only place with it. However they have an online player which they charge £9.99 a month for with no minimum term so you can cancel it as soon as play-offs end (you also get Swedish league and team GB internationals along with NHL).

Last edited:

Section N

Oct 10, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Not sure where in Derbyshire you are, but you are right in between 4 teams in the British Elite League. The standard is not very good, to be kind, but it is cheap and a good place to learn really quickly.

I occasionally go along to see the Braehead Clan. For some Blues relevance... the current Clan goalie is former Blue Chris Holt.

The atmosphere at Clan games is also a million times better than what you'll get watching NHL on TV, and probably in person too.

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Yes I am definitely going to have to get myself to a live game at some point in the future!! Loved yesterdays game - just tense all the time...

I've been watching some of the games in the 'History of Hockey' thread - so strange - 1928 Olympics is on there - I'm amazed the athletes managed to achieve all they did with the 'natural' conditions! V cool.

Kind Sir

Dec 19, 2013
:popcorn:
Yes I am definitely going to have to get myself to a live game at some point in the future!! Loved yesterdays game - just tense all the time...

I've been watching some of the games in the 'History of Hockey' thread - so strange - 1928 Olympics is on there - I'm amazed the athletes managed to achieve all they did with the 'natural' conditions! V cool.

Hockey is the coolest sport on Earth. Kick ice!

galaxytrash

Mar 24, 2008
Thailand
the stanley cup was actually made in sheffield, england.

wiki:

Soon afterwards, Stanley purchased what is frequently described as a decorative punch bowl, but which silver expert John Culme identified as a rose bowl, made in Sheffield, England, and sold by London silversmith G. R. Collis and Company (now Boodle and Dunthorne Jewellers), for ten guineas, equal to ten and a half pounds sterling, US$48.67, which is equal to $1,282 today. He had the words "Dominion Hockey Challenge Cup" engraved on one side of the outside rim, and "From Stanley of Preston" on the other side

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Actually, NHL isn't the only hockey in the world. Yeah, the British league is more or less a beer league (sorry, no offense meant!), but there is the KHL (mostly Russian teams with some international ones, there will even a Chinese team be soon), Sweden, Finnish, Czech and some other leagues, which are the best of the rest. The KHL is usually considered the 2nd best in the world (behind the NHL, of course).

There is an international hockey as well, like Olympics, World Hockey Championship and a lot of junior tournaments, which all are held under IIHF (international federation, like FIFA, but in hockey) rules. The most interesting thing about international hockey is it's mostly played on international size rinks, which are the same length as in the NHL, but much broader. That's why international hockey looks different, than NHL one. And even NHL players play different on the bigger ice. It's slower, less tough, fewer shots with more puck control and passes.

When European players come to the NHL, it usually takes some time to get used to new hockey for them. The best players do it pretty well, though. For example, the Blues have a few European players on the roster, and the team's main star is Tarasenko, who's Russian and came to the NHL from the KHL a few seasons ago.

Chicago, Blues are playing with right now in the playoffs, has Panarin, who's another Russian and the KHL player (and Tarasenko's best friend, btw). He's been playing his first NHL season and already become top10 scorer, so yeah, the difference between international (or European) and NHL hockey isn't like the difference between American and international football. They are pretty much the same game, but with nuances.

Last edited:

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
I must say I am enjoying the games I'm getting to see!! So I totally understand your point Kind Sir - a truly great sport!!

I had no idea the cup was a Sheffield make!! Makes me feel as though we brits have 'some skin in the game' (- which I believe is an American phrase - can't think where I've heard it if not!!!).

Kshahdoo - would you say that Hockey is a growing more internationally then or the leagues in each country?? It'd certainly be cool to have a wide angle lens type view - but I think that will have to wait for me as I'm totally playing catch up on the Stanley cup just now!!!

So ... I am feeling as though hockey is at the moment a game to play with my nerves - it just keeps the adrenaline going constantly!!! I'm hoping to be able to catch up with some of the round 1 games I've missed this weekend - just wish more of them were more time friendly for me - but as I often have insomnia - it's a great way to spend the night - just not AT ALL likely to lull me to sleep!!!!!

Ciao for now peeps!

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Blueton - this does feel a little like cruel and unusual punishment.

Although my very limited knowledge is telling me I'm seeing some very good hockey at the min?!?!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Blueton - this does feel a little like cruel and unusual punishment.

Although my very limited knowledge is telling me I'm seeing some very good hockey at the min?!?!

Yes, a very good regular season team. Probably one of the best over the past few years, if not - THE best.

They just don't do well under pressure.

Section N

Oct 10, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
Actually, NHL isn't the only hockey in the world. Yeah, the British league is more or less a beer league (sorry, no offense meant!), but there is the KHL (mostly Russian teams with some international ones, there will even a Chinese team be soon), Sweden, Finnish, Czech and some other leagues, which are the best of the rest. The KHL is usually considered the 2nd best in the world (behind the NHL, of course).

The EIHL is most definitely not a beer league. If I had to place it somewhere in the NA system, it'd be between the AHL and the ECHL. The majority of North Americans who come here now have at the very least some AHL experience, many having also played in the NHL at some point.

Sushiko

Don’t touch my Bozak
Jul 7, 2011
PHX AZ
Just wanted to welcome you - used to live in England and that's where I actually got to see and touch the Stanley Cup. There was an NHL event, the Ducks came to the O2. Love England. Welcome to hockey.

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
Believe it or not I actually got to see the Stanley Cup and get a photo with me next to it for the first time ever in McAllen, Texas. Less than ten miles from the border with Mexico. Years in Alaska near the Canadian border and I never saw it live. The Stanley Cup came here to South Texas about 10 years ago because of our minor league hockey team, the RGV Killer Bees. Was at the local Buffalo Wild Wings, heard about it driving home from work on the radio and had to go drink a few beers and see the Stanley Cup, lol.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Ok - so I'm putting Slapshot on my 'to watch' list - The shame!! V funny! And I will get my hands on the Greg Wyshynski book! Thanks for the recommendations - Keep them coming and I'll get investigating!!

I'm off to watch the Blues vs the Blackhawks now... very excited!! It makes such a difference to watching a game when I'm actually rooting for one of the teams!!!! :handclap:

Later... M

If you're looking for good hockey movies I highly recommend Goon with Sean William Scott (aka Stiffler) :yo:

rivermanfan

Oct 19, 2015
Believe it or not I actually got to see the Stanley Cup and get a photo with me next to it for the first time ever in McAllen, Texas. Less than ten miles from the border with Mexico. Years in Alaska near the Canadian border and I never saw it live. The Stanley Cup came here to South Texas about 10 years ago because of our minor league hockey team, the RGV Killer Bees. Was at the local Buffalo Wild Wings, heard about it driving home from work on the radio and had to go drink a few beers and see the Stanley Cup, lol.

I got my picture with the Cup in 2002, the Hurricanes first made it to the finals. I lived in Wilmington NC at the time and was able to get a picture with my Pronger jersey on along with my wife (at the time) and my one year old son. Of course as a 1 year old is prone to do, the picture has him grabbing hold of the Cup, a no no for the most part!!

It was funny that of the several hundred people lined up for pictures, 60% were sporting jerseys from other teams!! Flash forward to this season, I went to Raleigh to see the Blues/Canes game and I bet at least 30% of the fans were pulling for the Blues. We even got a decent Lets Go Blues chant going. I guess NC will always be college basketball heaven!!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad