NHL Newbie - Random question!

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
If silly questions about hockey annoy you - stop reading now!

I've just started watching a bit of the NHL - literally I've seen some highlights (and some Olympic matches) and I also watched St. Louis play Arizona as it's the Free game of the week this week on NHL TV ... So I have many questions! I'm hoping most of them will get figured out as I watch more.

But one thing I really wanted to know is how did a random hockey stick end up on the ice without a player being attached to it??

Anyone willing to shed some light on that for me would be fab!

Thanks!

Missy

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
If silly questions about hockey annoy you - stop reading now!

I've just started watching a bit of the NHL - literally I've seen some highlights (and some Olympic matches) and I also watched St. Louis play Arizona as it's the Free game of the week this week on NHL TV ... So I have many questions! I'm hoping most of them will get figured out as I watch more.

But one thing I really wanted to know is how did a random hockey stick end up on the ice without a player being attached to it??

Anyone willing to shed some light on that for me would be fab!

Thanks!

Missy

If I remember correctly the stick broke so the player dropped it. (You can get a penalty for playing with a broken stick).

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not sure if there was a specific situation, but I'm guessing the stick was likely broken. It's a 2 minute minor for any non-goalie to play with a broken stick so what generally happens is the player drops the stick and either plays without a stick or he goes to his bench to get another.

The disposed stick will remain on the ice until the next stoppage of play.

stl76

No. 5 in your programs, No. 1 in your hearts
Jul 2, 2015
^^^the two responses above should answer your question Missy. I just wanted to chime in and say welcome and I hope you're enjoying hockey so far. If you are looking for a team to root for I humbly suggest the Saint Louis Blues as the best option around.

High n Wide

Feb 24, 2015
St. Louis
^^^the two responses above should answer your question Missy. I just wanted to chime in and say welcome and I hope you're enjoying hockey so far. If you are looking for a team to root for I humbly suggest the Saint Louis Blues as the best option around.

As somebody who has spent absolutely zero time looking at another NHL team to follow, I can confirm that this is undoubtably true.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
As somebody who has spent absolutely zero time looking at another NHL team to follow, I can confirm that this is undoubtably true.

St. Louis is a cool guy. Doesn't really afraid of anything.

LETS GO BLUES!!!

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Perfect! Thanks so much for the knowledge - I'll not pester you all with more of my ponderings for now - but I'll definitely be back asking more!!!

And thanks for the welcome! I have been following baseball for a few years now and (for some reason) my favourite team is the Cardinals - so when I saw that the Blues were also St. Louis based I thought they'd be the best place to start! I look forward to seeing more! It certainly is much faster than baseball!!!!

Bobby Orrtuzzo

Ya know
Jul 8, 2015
St. Louis
You're also just in time to be a part of the Blues' greatest tradition, getting fans excited for the playoffs, only to be disappointed!

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
Perfect! Thanks so much for the knowledge - I'll not pester you all with more of my ponderings for now - but I'll definitely be back asking more!!!

And thanks for the welcome! I have been following baseball for a few years now and (for some reason) my favourite team is the Cardinals - so when I saw that the Blues were also St. Louis based I thought they'd be the best place to start! I look forward to seeing more! It certainly is much faster than baseball!!!!

Despite what some media outlets say it's a great town with good people living in it. Sticking to sports though it's great! Cardinals are always good and save for a few seasons in the past the Blues have always been competitive.

Hockey is definitely faster and in my opinion the best sport. I love me some Cardinals baseball too though.

Don't be a stranger and don't be shy. Bring on the questions. Nobody will think any less of you no matter what the question is. Always happy to help.

LETS GO BLUES!

LetsGoBLUES91

Jan 8, 2013

Never an issue explaining the game to someone that likes it and wants to get more into it.

Colt 55

RIP Oscar and Jose
Jan 28, 2012
Coronado
For someone who knows very little about hockey I'm curious as to how you found out about this forum. Not meaning that in a bad way just curious.

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Thanks for the welcome everyone - I am sure some of my questions are pretty dumb - and I'm hoping that most will be answered as I watch more games (but for what it's worth matches or games??)...

Colt 55 as for how I arrived here - I was just mooching about hockey places trying to find some info and arrived at the forum and figured I would ask you good folks instead of keep fishing.

A Sad blues fan and Fishsandwichpatrol - you are both quite right... my dad is a footie fan and so I have spent many years of my childhood and youth on the edge of my seat through many a penalty shoot-out that has led us nowhere!

Falco Lombardi you have also added some new language to my NHL lessons - 2 minute minor - this is a player having to sit out for 2 mins and leaving the team a player down until the time penalty has been served - Yes?!

OK - as you have all been so nice - I'm going to take advantage of you a wee bit more - I heard sone of the commentators saying a goal was a 'short handed goal' not at all sure what that is!!! Also I am clueless about stats for hockey - I read a thread or blog that said Elliott is 11-0-1... any help deciphering that gratefully received!!

I think I've figured out a 'power play' when there are more players to one team than the other - 'cos some are sitting out on a penalty...? No?

Thanks... - and I look forward to learning more - I watched a game between Pittsburgh and New York - that was good - but not as exciting as the blues vs Arizona... So I'm looking forward to catching up with the game against Chicago - but I'll have to watch it late as I have to work tomorrow!

Cheerio just now. M

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Thanks for the welcome everyone - I am sure some of my questions are pretty dumb - and I'm hoping that most will be answered as I watch more games (but for what it's worth matches or games??)...

Falco Lombardi you have also added some new language to my NHL lessons - 2 minute minor - this is a player having to sit out for 2 mins and leaving the team a player down until the time penalty has been served - Yes?!

OK - as you have all been so nice - I'm going to take advantage of you a wee bit more - I heard sone of the commentators saying a goal was a 'short handed goal' not at all sure what that is!!! Also I am clueless about stats for hockey - I read a thread or blog that said Elliott is 11-0-1... any help deciphering that gratefully received!!

I think I've figured out a 'power play' when there are more players to one team than the other - 'cos some are sitting out on a penalty...? No?

Thanks... - and I look forward to learning more - I watched a game between Pittsburgh and New York - that was good - but not as exciting as the blues vs Arizona... So I'm looking forward to catching up with the game against Chicago - but I'll have to watch it late as I have to work tomorrow!

Cheerio just now. M

Yes, a 2 minute minor is a penalty when a player has to sit in the penalty box for 2 minutes or until the other team scores. A power play goal is when the team with more players on the ice scores, either 5 v 4 or 5 v 3. A short-handed goal is when the team with less players scores, either 4 v 5 or 3 v 5.

For Elliott's record, it means 11 wins, 0 regulation loses, and 1 Overtime/Shootout loss.

There are going to be a bunch more rules that will come up as you watch more, so feel free to ask more questions.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
The rankings award 2 points to a team for a win.
If a team loses in overtime or a shoot-out, they get 1 point.
Regulation and overtime (not shoot-out) wins are counted as "ROW", and is a tiebreaker in the standings.
Team records show just as Elliott's (such as 11-2-3) with wins-losses-overtime/shoot-out losses).

This is salient right now because the Blues and Stars are tied in points with 2 games left each, but the Stars have the tiebreaker with a higher ROW number. Its going to determine the first round playoff opponent if they stay tied.

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
bleedblue1223 - thanks that's perfect - so the team is literally playing short-handed! Got it!!! Am I right in thinking that a team has to have at least 3 players on the ice?? Or maybe I dreamt that??

2 minute minor - Ok... I think I've got a handle on those stats... but I'll keep looking - I was just reading the thread about the race to the playoffs and so became the blues have 105 points (are these also for wins?) as does Dallas then they are tied - but Dallas currently has the edge as they have 46 ROW points - which is why they are top of the leader board??!?!?! The thing I'm not sure about is ... does the ROW have something to do with home and away wins? It's the only difference I can see in their stats??? Chicago have the same number of home wins as Dallas and they too have 46 points?????? Not sure?!?!?!?!

Ta! M

Kiev the Great

Aug 21, 2014

As a British based blue myself, I'd summarise supporting the Blues as follows:

Start of the Season: 'We're never going to win the cup'

During the season: ''maybe this team can do it'

Start of the playoffs: 'I think we've got a shot'

During playoffs: FFS!

Rinse and repeat, at least in my few years of watching the Blues.

Also depending on where you are in Derbyshire, you might not be far from a top flight British club such as Manchester, Sheffield or Nottingham (my own team). Unfortunately the local season has just finished, but you'd at least see a St Louis Blue lift the play-offs!

CfW2cWkWIAA9p50.jpg

Also fun fact, the Stanley cup is named after Lord Stanley, Governor of Canada and 16th Earl of Derby!

Last edited:

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
bleedblue1223 - thanks that's perfect - so the team is literally playing short-handed! Got it!!! Am I right in thinking that a team has to have at least 3 players on the ice?? Or maybe I dreamt that??

2 minute minor - Ok... I think I've got a handle on those stats... but I'll keep looking - I was just reading the thread about the race to the playoffs and so became the blues have 105 points (are these also for wins?) as does Dallas then they are tied - but Dallas currently has the edge as they have 46 ROW points - which is why they are top of the leader board??!?!?! The thing I'm not sure about is ... does the ROW have something to do with home and away wins? It's the only difference I can see in their stats??? Chicago have the same number of home wins as Dallas and they too have 46 points?????? Not sure?!?!?!?!

Ta! M

ROW = Regulation and Overtime Wins. That means that the team either won the game in the regulation 60 minutes or won it during the overtime period of 3v3. If you win the game in a shootout, you get the 2 points, but it doesn't count as a ROW. The ROW is used as a tie breaker. If two teams have the same points, the team with more ROWs is higher in the standings.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO

Colt 55 as for how I arrived here - I was just mooching about hockey places trying to find some info and arrived at the forum and figured I would ask you good folks instead of keep fishing.

A Sad blues fan and Fishsandwichpatrol - you are both quite right... my dad is a footie fan and so I have spent many years of my childhood and youth on the edge of my seat through many a penalty shoot-out that has led us nowhere!

Cheerio just now. M

Correct.

May I also suggest the book Take Your Eye Off The Puck by Greg Wyshynski, author of the Puck Daddy blog. Good reference if interested.

417blues

Aug 1, 2012
Springfield
Looking through a some of the discussion about overtime wins and losses, I think you'd appreciate that the NHL used to let games end in a tie. When you see all-time records, they go W-L-T-OL.

Also, during the Stanley Cup playoffs there are no ties or other shenanigans. When a playoff game goes to overtime, they play 20 minute periods until one team scores.

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
Ok - so I'm putting Slapshot on my 'to watch' list - The shame!! V funny! And I will get my hands on the Greg Wyshynski book! Thanks for the recommendations - Keep them coming and I'll get investigating!!

I'm off to watch the Blues vs the Blackhawks now... very excited!! It makes such a difference to watching a game when I'm actually rooting for one of the teams!!!! :handclap:

Later... M

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad