NHL Newbie - Random question!

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
I've obviously only seen pictures - didn't expect it to be so huge!

This is bloody nail biting at the min!

How have you all stayed sane through this year after year?!?!?!?!?!

Borderbluesfan

Nov 14, 2011
Columbia, Missouri
I got my picture with the Cup in 2002, the Hurricanes first made it to the finals. I lived in Wilmington NC at the time and was able to get a picture with my Pronger jersey on along with my wife (at the time) and my one year old son. Of course as a 1 year old is prone to do, the picture has him grabbing hold of the Cup, a no no for the most part!!

It was funny that of the several hundred people lined up for pictures, 60% were sporting jerseys from other teams!! Flash forward to this season, I went to Raleigh to see the Blues/Canes game and I bet at least 30% of the fans were pulling for the Blues. We even got a decent Lets Go Blues chant going. I guess NC will always be college basketball heaven!!

Line was really short here at the time, lol. Very few hockey fans at the time. Now with a minor team that just survives (they have been ECHL, CHL, now I think they are an NAHL Jr team) mostly from all the winter Texans from northern states and Canada that come down during the winter, we now actually have an indoor ice arena besides the event center that hosts AFL2, NBA D league, and hockey. With an ice arena comes skaters and we actually have some youth teams and some other older leagues. We even have people from Mexico that come to play.

Edit: Looks like the team left just prior to this year, lol. But left behind was the first indoor ice sheet in the Rio Grande Valley, where kids are learning to skate and play. Last year they had a camp hosted by one of the former Detroit Redwings players, saw the flyer, can't remember who it was.

Last edited:

MissyRS

Apr 5, 2016
Derbyshire
OK Peeps - so this has been great! I really think I did pick the best time to start an interest in Hockey!!!

I'm disappointed it has ended where it has - and greatly feel for all you long-time supporters - but seriously that was awesome!!!

I'll enjoy a summer of baseball and be back in the Autumn... have fun everyone! And thanks for your answers, advice, company and help! You've been superb!

Cheerio just now... x

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I have a random question myself, and I didn't want to make a thread for it so I thought I'd just ask here. Does anyone here think it realistic to believe we could one day be without a salary cap again in the NHL?

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
I have a random question myself, and I didn't want to make a thread for it so I thought I'd just ask here. Does anyone here think it realistic to believe we could one day be without a salary cap again in the NHL?

The league isn't strong enough to make due without it. There is too much disparity between the finances of original 6 teams...plus some others and the rest of the NHL. Since they are still trying to grow the game in many non-traditional markets, the cap is needed so those teams can actually ice a competitive team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad