Boston Globe NHL needs to dump these virtual boards.

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Has anyone asked the players what they think about these boards , I would think they are a distraction and a safety concern for them.................The revenue the league is generating I would hope would help increase the salary cap , the players are the ones who deserve a revenue increase.........

• Haha
Reactions: pearljamvs5

BruinsFanMike82

Apr 15, 2009
MA
Has anyone asked the players what they think about these boards , I would think they are a distraction and a safety concern for them.................The revenue the league is generating I would hope would help increase the salary cap , the players are the ones who deserve a revenue increase.........
?

They're virtual.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I hate this f***ing league.

THAT'S the type of digital ad I hate the most. There are several teams that have those now, where a car or truck is zooming horizontally around the ice during play. The ones that have a bold image that rises from the bottom of the board to the top gets honorary mention.

No other major NA sports league has the level of advertising on and around the playing surface that the NHL does. And that's before the digital dasherboard ads. Now it's to the point of insanity. It is not ok to have animated crap moving around in what usually amounts to the middle to top of the TV screen when viewing a game. Hockey is the hardest of the major sports to follow on TV as is. The NHL really needs to cut the animated stuff out during gameplay. Crap is becoming like 2 1/2 hours of watching ads, with a little hockey thrown in, if you can find it.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
THAT'S the type of digital ad I hate the most. There are several teams that have those now, where a car or truck is zooming horizontally around the ice during play. The ones that have a bold image that rises from the bottom of the board to the top gets honorary mention.

No other major NA sports league has the level of advertising on and around the playing surface that the NHL does. And that's before the digital dasherboard ads. Now it's to the point of insanity. It is not ok to have animated crap moving around in what usually amounts to the middle to top of the TV screen when viewing a game. Hockey is the hardest of the major sports to follow on TV as is. The NHL really needs to cut the animated stuff out during gameplay. Crap is becoming like 2 1/2 hours of watching ads, with a little hockey thrown in, if you can find it.
As noted previously, ad nauseum, ownership's response to fans bitching about their latest act of venality consists of two words.

I think you know what they are.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I don't like them but they are inevitable, much like ads on the boards. When I was a kid the boards were white.
There have been ads on the boards for years now.
And ads will be all over jerseys eventually. Probably within the next ten years, and ads on helmets.
That's just the way it works. Everything goes up until it crashes I guess.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Worse than ever. Can barely watch and might just turn it off. It looks awful. I'm jealous of those who don't notice, but I find them so distracting it's beyond frustrating.
I notice them less, but i am still painfully aware of them. Some are better than others. If they put the red lines back on the boards instead of covering them with digital bright white, and roughed up the background a bit to blend with the normal color of the boards it wouldn’t be so bad

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
If they are going to switch them during the course of play they REALLY need to cut out the ones with the tires and cars zipping around the boards. It's absurd.

I keep saying this, but it's so glaringly true. No other major sport in NA has their playing area so inundated with ads. Virtual inside the blueline, behind the goal on the glass, on the sides of the glass in some cases, and of course the animated boards. Then the ads below the ice surface.

The NHL needs to rethink things. The ice/boards/glass look like garbage with all the ads plastered everywhere.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
If they are going to switch them during the course of play they REALLY need to cut out the ones with the tires and cars zipping around the boards. It's absurd.

I keep saying this, but it's so glaringly true. No other major sport in NA has their playing area so inundated with ads. Virtual inside the blueline, behind the goal on the glass, on the sides of the glass in some cases, and of course the animated boards. Then the ads below the ice surface.

The NHL needs to rethink things. The ice/boards/glass look like garbage with all the ads plastered everywhere.
The worst part is (and this is what they want) I didn't really 'notice' it much tonight's game.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

So it seems the NHL is plowing ahead with these virtual board ads.
It should not.
I don’t care how much cash they add to the league’s coffers. They’re bad. They impose on the game-watching experience in a way I cannot abide. I am calling for a dump and change.
Look, Impossible Burgers are a perfectly fine sandwich: They taste like a light burger, you can dress them in various ways, I like a fried egg on mine sometimes. I must object, however, to seeing a 30-foot-wide close-up of a plant-based burger patty plastered all over the half-wall.

The NHL viewing experience in 2022: You’re trying to follow the play, then this unwanted screensaver jolts away from the close-up and pans out to the whole sandwich. The word “IMPOSSIBLE” was painted in shouting capital letters in the rest of the available board space.

That’s as best I can describe one of the new virtual board ads, which are superimposed on the boards in each TV market’s broadcast. Those watching the Root Sports Seattle broadcast on Thursday, when the Kraken beat the Kings, might have seen the Impossible Burger ad; those watching the Los Angeles feed would have seen something else.

Are we not advertised to enough here?

They’re distracting. They’re disorienting. They’re bad for the casual fan, someone who might be trying to sort out the fastest team sport in the world. Watching an NHL game already demands a level of focus. Now imagine you’re following a player with the puck, wondering what he is going to do with it, and all of a sudden the Geico gecko pops up next to him.

At this rate, we’re not far away from the boards being covered in betting lines, letting the consumer play the odds on any number of in-game situations. Which of these two players are going to win this puck battle? Scan the QR code to place your bet now!

I don’t need approximately 1/10th of the horizontal space on my TV shouting at me about which cellular network is “the one America relies on” while the Kraken are trying to protect a two-goal lead in the final minutes. This is a call the NHL should drop.

I’m not even going to knock the league for the obvious technical glitches in the ads — players being swallowed by rogue-wave board ads — because they’ve been amusing.

If I’m being generous: NHL, do your viewers a favor and wait for the technology to catch up with the game experience you should be offering as the best league in the world. These detract from it.
Agree

Reactions: mjhfb

Lobster57

Nov 22, 2006
Victoria, BC
There was a play tonight when Zacha got knocked into the boards and a huge tire (ad) was rolling around the wall and for a second I thought he was going to get run over.

f***ing ads.
there was another play in the corner in the B's end where an ad tried to project onto a Flame and it looked like a rendering glitch in an EA game.

Number8

Oct 31, 2007
Worse than ever. Can barely watch and might just turn it off. It looks awful. I'm jealous of those who don't notice, but I find them so distracting it's beyond frustrating.
NHL is so f***ing stupid. The only logical purpose for ads that flash and move is to direct your attention away from the game (that thing that is supposed to attract viewers to an opportunity to see the ads). Do that long enough and aggressively enough and watching the game becomes a chore.

I can compromise and live with static adds. But moving ads are so ridiculous -- it should piss off everyone. And as far as black circular objects moving across the boards??????? How f***ing stupid is that? And obnoxious.

Once again, f*** you Gary Bettman. I really dislike you.

mjhfb

Easier from up here
Dec 19, 2016
A thousand miles from nowhere
I'm not a Marketing person, and I'm older, so perhaps I'm way off here, but in my simple world less is more. When I see a few ads on the rink I notice them, when I see them all over they turn into this blur that I try to ignore. Honestly, I just don't understand the business logic.

Reactions: Bostonzamboni

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine

they've adjusted the Virtual Sullivan Tire and Yokohama ads..... Enterprise isn't really noticeable since it's a generic statement virtual ad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad