Boston Globe NHL needs to dump these virtual boards.

The Hockey Tonk Man

May 3, 2007
Toronto
Not sure if its the boards messing with balances, but good lord the NESN picture is terrible this year.

It is noticeably dark and almost completely washed out of any color saturation.

I watched the Panthers broadcast on ESPN+ last night and it's quite literally night and day. I saw it on the youtube replays and just figured it was a crappy upload, but nope.

vs

I was switching to the Oilers/Sabres game last night.
Same thing. Oilers broadcast looked so nice compared to NESN.

easton117

Nov 11, 2017
Advertising was already over the top before the new digital ads. You can't break wind without it being 'brought to you by blah blah blah'
Now this garbage. I don't see it attracting new fans.
Lol I hope to see the technology someday where I can break wind and little words are visible. Like thought bubbles.

I could get paid to do it in supermarket aisles advertising for the sales that day.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
Which major North American sports league has as many ads in view during TV broadcasts as the NHL? None. Having watched more NHL hockey already this season than I should I have a few observations about the digital boards.

1) The brightness of the white on the digital ads is way overdone on some of the broadcasts I have seen. The ice looks very off-white now compared to the ads.

2) Parts of players along the boards are disappearing at times in a digitized LSD trip kind of way. Brings back memories of sports games on the PlayStation 1.

3) Some sports networks ads are worse than others. The worst offenders are the ones with stuff speeding by horizontally on the boards. Yeah, that's not distracting when trying to watch a rush up the ice. Honorable mention are the ones with oversized photos/graphics that pop up in multiples around the rink. Not distracting at all.

I get that some people are bothered by the ads more than others. I envy those folks who can completely tune them out, although you folks are an advertiser's worst nightmare. The whole point of these gaudy animated ads is to deflect attention away from the game and onto their ads. Otherwise there would be no point in buying the ad space.

When the digitized ads are static I have no issue with them other than body parts disappearing into the boards. That is kind of annoying. For the love of all things I hope some team has alternate gray/white plaid unis at some point. That'll give the digitized boards a real run for their money. I hope the NHL makes some adjustments and cuts animation and ad changes out during actual play. I don't want to have to start taking supplements that help me focus just so I can follow NHL hockey telecasts.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I don’t like that the red lines on the boards have been covered by the digital atrocities either.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Not sure if its the boards messing with balances, but good lord the NESN picture is terrible this year.

It is noticeably dark and almost completely washed out of any color saturation.

I watched the Panthers broadcast on ESPN+ last night and it's quite literally night and day. I saw it on the youtube replays and just figured it was a crappy upload, but nope.

vs

Tonight was the best NESN has looked , I still hate the ads though .

Reactions: TD Charlie

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I was watching a Tampa game the other night and the ad was static but the words were so huge that my eyes kept trying to read it instead of focusing on the game. I mean, I get it, that's exactly what the advertisers want :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: but it is horrendous.

Reactions: missingchicklet

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
As someone who works behind the camera, the implementation of these ads has been the flow chart from hell.

What is ironic is the Minnesota North Stars were the first NHL team to sell dasher ads in 1981 BUT the first time North American fans saw ads came 9 years earlier in MOSCOW

1667114221740.png

Last edited:

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Horrible. At the very least stop the ad movement during play.

Exactly this. I wouldn't mind them as much if they didn't change during play. The animations, especially with ones that are high contract (i.e. non white, the Ford Ad is a good example of it) are distracting and disruptive.

Reactions: missingchicklet

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
I’m out of market and watching on ESPN via Hulu. Most of the games I’ve seen don’t have the virtual boards ads. Not complaining- just wondering, what’s up with that?

@Bruinaura I think this is your situation as well. Am I (not) seeing things? Also, OT, but how do you watch NHLN games (if it’s not illegal?). I don’t want to subscribe to Sling too just for NHLN.

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
I’m out of market and watching on ESPN via Hulu. Most of the games I’ve seen don’t have the virtual boards ads. Not complaining- just wondering, what’s up with that?

@Bruinaura I think this is your situation as well. Am I (not) seeing things? Also, OT, but how do you watch NHLN games (if it’s not illegal?). I don’t want to subscribe to Sling too just for NHLN.
I've seen the ads on Hulu sometimes, not all the time.

I don't have NHLN anymore

I hate that they make it so complicated to watch all the games nowadays :madfire:

Reactions: sooshii

ap3lovr

Dec 31, 2005
New Brunswick
As someone who works behind the camera, the implementation of these ads has been the flow chart from hell.

What is ironic is the Minnesota North Stars were the first NHL team to sell dasher ads in 1981 BUT the first time North American fans saw ads came 9 years earlier in MOSCOW

View attachment 600851
My days in broadcasting are well behind me now, but I can only imagine how painful of a setup this is. I remember upgrading to a Ross Xpression graphic overlay system and what a pain in the ass that was, and we only used it for lower 3rd. Really curious how they key in the boards specifically without bleeding into the ice since the color is so similar. Though I wonder if that is why the broadcasts seem to be a bit darker this year across the board. Either that or I need new glasses.

Reactions: Fenway

IceColdOx

Jan 29, 2019
Watertown, NY
Trying to get a few of friends into hockey and they complained about the boards. Sometimes it's just too busy and distraction. They just hurt my eyes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad