HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

The Athletic writes about the Bruins

19. Boston Bruins

Last Year: 27th

1693406341636.png

“No vision beyond slipping into the playoffs. How can a team with a forward group that thin be that close to the cap? Sweeney went for it and should have last year, but a mind-melting draft history and paying with futures to fix past free-agency blunders leaves the Bruins in a bad place moving forward.”

“The playoffs last year ended up being a disaster for the Bruins but it’s hard to blame the front office. They went all in and are going to have to pay the price in the coming years. They need to find a center to fill the missing gap but the roster isn’t catastrophic otherwise.”

There is no harder fan to please than a Boston sports fan, spoiled by two decades of parades. Every year the Bruins faithful seem to be much lower on their own team than the public and this year is no different. The fans see the front office as the 24th best while the public is much closer to average at 14th.

Obviously drafting and developing is always a sticking point with this club, but after a historic season, you’d think there’d be a bit more love elsewhere. Under different circumstances maybe there would be, but after a bitter first-round exit and a shaky offseason, it’s understandable that Bruins fans might feel a bit sour regarding those in charge.

The primary issue is the lack of a clear succession plan in the wake of Patrice Bergeron and David Krejci retiring. Boston still has enough talent to be a playoff team, but the team looks awfully weak down the middle and the front office did very little to address that this summer. Or in previous summers.

Boston did the right thing going all in last season and made some masterful moves that should’ve earned a better result. How the Bruins approached last season should give the front office a bit more benefit of the doubt here, but what they’ve done since does leave a lot to be desired.

Last edited:

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Too high for Sweeney if reviewing his full term. Last season was his second high impact season with few or no regrets.

As much as some desperately defend the Hall trade, that may be the blunder that does in the Bruins this season who yet again are missing a top six winger. JVR?!

There is far too much parity in the NHL to choose to be at a disadvantage with the aim of playoffs.

Reactions: bbfan419

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
Too high for Sweeney if reviewing his full term. Last season was his second high impact season with few or no regrets.

As much as some desperately defend the Hall trade, that may be the blunder that does in the Bruins this season who yet again are missing a top six winger. JVR?!

There is far too much parity in the NHL to choose to be at a disadvantage with the aim of playoffs.
24th is too high?!?!?!?

Reactions: TooMuchMan

Midship

Jan 7, 2016
Will never forgive Sweeney for the 2015 draft and still believe that alone was a fireable offense. He did, however, assemble as close to a super team as is possible in the salary cap world last year. Shame that the players choked to an unbelievable degree because the 2022-23 Bruins were an absolute master class in roster building (including the deadline moves).

All in all, 19 sounds about right. Somewhere in the lower end of the middle of the pack.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
If you think Sweeney is the 24th best GM, then you think at least four (4) of the following GMs are better:

Mike Grier
Danny Briere
Craig Conroy
Brad Treliving
Barry Trotz (never having been a GM until July 1 of this year but ok)
Patrik Allvin
Pat Verbeek
Chris Drury
Jarmo
Kyle Davidson
Pierre Dorion
Kyle Dubas

Which four are you taking?

4ORRBRUIN

Sep 27, 2005
boston
Hard to draft and develop NHL players when you own the standings every year. Looks like we are developing player just fine to me. Half the team will be Bruins Draft picks.

I would rather this way of doing business then sitting here with a chubby because we won the lottery every year.

MarchysNoseKnows

Big Hat No Cattle
Feb 14, 2018
I'm mystified at what you're so apparently at odds with - they even commented on the lack of rationality of the fanbase. We ARE weak down the middle, that cannot be argued. The roster isn't catastrophic, as pointed out. I'm really unclear as to what you're thinking.
The Bruins fanbase ranks the Bruins Front Office the 24th best in the league. And these aren't anonymous twitter account mouth breathers - these are Athletic subscribers.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I've not held back on voicing my displeasure of DS during most of his tenure as GM of the Bs. Last couple summers, though, I think he has done a great job with what he has had to work with.

Past couple drafts, although he didn't have any high picks, I think he has been on-point. Seems like the organization has gotten better in that regard. His deadline trades last season, while costly, were awesome. Put the Bs in the position of being the favorite to win the Cup. The team he put together before the playoffs set all-time records. Ignoring the Matthew Mitchell fiasco, I'd give DS an A+ for his performance last season.

Can't have been easy for DS to deal with the Bergy/Krejci situation. Will they play/won't they play two years in a row. Worked out in his favor last season with those sweet contracts for two top Cs. Now will pay the price with them gone.

Looking at his drafting, signings, trades, etc, I feel like DS has learned from his past mistakes as GM and is doing the best he can while still paying the price to some extent for some those past mistakes. I have all the respect in the world for him going all-in last season. Didn't work out. Not even remotely his fault. He's handcuffed this season, so not expecting much from the team in terms of competing for a Cup, but that's fine since that was a given after going all-in last season.

Considering the cap constraints and retirement of Bergy and Krejci I feel like DS has still put together a team that should be fun to watch and have a good shot at making it into the playoffs. Seems like he deserves a pretty high grade for what he has done recently in his time as GM.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004

now do this for the other 31 GMs. Do you think NHL GMs having regrets is unusual?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
now do this for the other 31 GMs. Do you think NHL GMs having regrets is unusual?
I take a week and do every organization and it’s a clown show all over

I am studying Chicago this week - Lukas Reichel, Kevin Kachinsji….

That franchise has become the equivalent of a third world nation last 6-7 years

If I was Betman based on the importance of Chicago to the league and loss of season ticket base that caused unheard of price and ticket changes pre draft, I would have done whatever it takes to make sure Chicago won that lottery - but that’s me lol

The saying is and I heard it yesterday the number one sport in Boston is hating

Angry and dumb about sums up a good 20 % of Boston fans

Majority 80% are good but that vocal minority is both angry and uninformed

Reactions: RussellmaniaKW

BearAttack

Jan 14, 2003
Niagara Wine Country
Visit site
Is this a fantasy hockey league? GM rankings should be according to how far a team has gone in the post season, the number of appearances in the finals for the past decade etc. Not "prospect pools" and free agent signings. Competitive GM's consistently do what needs to be done to keep their team competitive, year after year. By that basis DS is a top 10 GM. The fan base has it wrong and the Athletic even more so.

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Not a fan of Sweeney and really dislike the scouting staff, I would put them around 20. Sweeney is strong on getting below market deals for his players and willing to make a big move at the deadline, but his drafting has been poor, no plan to replace Bergeron or Krejci, some truly abysmal free agent signings offset to a degree by a few above average ones.

BlackFrancis

Athletic Supporter Patch Partner
Dec 14, 2013
The Bruins fanbase ranks the Bruins Front Office the 24th best in the league. And these aren't anonymous twitter account mouth breathers - these are Athletic subscribers.
You're talking about people who pay actual money to view a website you can read for free with the click of a button on Chrome based browsers.

If it were buttcoin, it'd be one thing, but real currency?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Sweeney should be no lower than 2

Yzerman relying on his Cups and was a God in day

I can’t come up with anyone over Donny and I’m trying

Unfortunately I live in an HF world now of peace, love, understanding and Lonnie
Well you do like regular season success more than playoff so Donnie is your man.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad