GDT: NHL Free Agent Frenzy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Group Chat Legend*

No way I'm giving up a 1st for him without an extension. Wayyyy too big of a risk.

Again, I dont think it is that risky. The guy would be close to
Home and on an almost contender (i see us as a playoff team this year barring injuries or the defense crapping the bed)

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
That seems like a Detroit signing for Vanek.

They signed Brad Richards to a one year deal like that last year. Speaking of Richards, he's s UFA today too. And so is Mike Richards!:laugh:

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
Also....

Id do Boucher+2017 1st for Shattenkirk, NO EXTENSION.

The reason for this is he is from Connecticut, would be on an up and comer, and could be paid handsomely here. I think it is less risky for NJ to trade for his one year, rather than pay out ass for his extension (which I doubt we can afford, assets wise)

STL is a team looking to contend for the Cup, and neither Boucher nor the 1st do anything for them this season. Unless you consider the possibility of them trading our 1st at the deadline for actual help. I don't think that gets it done.

Group Chat Legend*

Some of you guys have Bennett on the first line. I don't see. We are going to be in really bad shape if he is on the first line. I would put him on the 3rd line and I guess Smith-Pelly on the 2nd. Neither is ideal. It sure isn't Maclean, Verbeek, Brown, and Shanahan of yesteryear.

Bennett cannot be a bottom 6 player, literally cannot be.

So yes he is on the top line.

Group Chat Legend*

STL is a team looking to contend for the Cup, and neither Boucher nor the 1st do anything for them this season. Unless you consider the possibility of them trading our 1st at the deadline for actual help. I don't think that gets it done.

So then they lose him for nothing?

I think this is a case of no one wanting to pay assets AND high dollars for one man.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
Some of you guys have Bennett on the first line. I don't see. We are going to be in really bad shape if he is on the first line. I would put him on the 3rd line and I guess Smith-Pelly on the 2nd. Neither is ideal. It sure isn't Maclean, Verbeek, Brown, and Shanahan of yesteryear.

Its way too early to even consider line combinations and I dont understand the point of it pre-TC, pre-PTOs, etc. There are going to be more additions in one form or another.

That said, if Bennett is healthy, he's capable of playing top 6 minutes. His skills have never really been in question. Its his durability.

Normal Devil

Mar 16, 2014

Bennett is going to be motivated to put it all together this year ... he's on a one year deal at 725k. It's make or break time for that kid. I hope he can avoid the injury bug that always seems to bite him.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009

The point is to give him an opportunity to succeed and to not stack the first line. Palms played well with Zajac.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011

I don't think this is accurate.

There's nothing wrong with Bennett playing on a third line. I know after the train wreck last season, some people might see a third line being no better than a 4th line.

But if Bennett is playing on a third line with other top 9 players, I don't see why he can't be a third liner. Same goes for Boucher. Assuming they won't be playing with Josefson, Kalinin or Fiddler when the lineup is healthy, I see no reason he can't be a third liner.

ghdi

Feb 4, 2009
NJ
I wonder if Hudler would take a one-year deal since Vanek has now set a market.

Actually, his durability is not bad. Vanek is on a huge downward slope. Hudler is not. Its not really comparable. Hudler is still effective.

Group Chat Legend*

Baseless and absurd. I see no reason why he couldn't cut it on the 3rd, especially if he plays with guys like Zacha, Blandisi, Boucher, or other solid pieces.

Well how about the opinions of every fan who has watched him for years, mainly Pittsburgh fans.

Everyone has said he was USELESS in the bottom 6 and is too fragile for that role. On top of his playstyle, it makes perfect sense.

DSP is a 3rd liner, not Bennett. Major difference.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago
So then they lose him for nothing?

I think this is a case of no one wanting to pay assets AND high dollars for one man.

They might be forced into that scenario come the trade deadline, but for now, they have time on their hands. And they'll likely use that to their advantage. They are a significantly better team with Shattenkirk than without, and I don't think that's enticing enough an offer to make them pull the trigger in the off season.

Team Concept

Jul 11, 2002
Wingdale, New York
The point is to give him an opportunity to succeed and to not stack the first line. Palms played well with Zajac.

Play him on the 3rd line. Play a good D game and chip in a goal or assist from time to time. If he is on the first line expectations will be too big and when he has a goal-less streak that lasts 15 games you guys are going to be all over him. If he breaks out on the 3rd line then you can move him up.

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Well how about the opinions of every fan who has watched him for years, mainly Pittsburgh fans.

Everyone has said he was USELESS in the bottom 6 and is too fragile for that role. On top of his playstyle, it makes perfect sense.

DSP is a 3rd liner, not Bennett. Major difference.

Why are you assigning some arbitrary role for "third line players" and "top 6 players"? Some third liners are very physical..Some aren't and provide scoring depth. Some top 6 players hit like mad men. Some don't. We aren't gonna be rolling with goons on the 3rd line. We'll likely have Boucher, Zacha, or Blandisi there.

Group Chat Legend*

Why are you assigning some arbitrary role for "third line players" and "top 6 players"? Some third liners are very physical..Some aren't and provide scoring depth. Some top 6 players hit like mad men. Some don't. We aren't gonna be rolling with goons on the 3rd line. We'll likely have Boucher, Zacha, or Blandisi there.

Look, Shero being the guy who took him and kept him in a top 6 role did not trade for
Him to play 3rd line

I think its pretty obvious and not up for much debate.

NJDevils17

Going Up?
Apr 21, 2013
Raleigh
Oh man I didn't realize how awful Detroit's day was. And that's just new signings.

Helm(29) for 5 [email protected]
Vanek(32) for 1 year @2.6
Nielson(32) for 6 years @5.25

On the deals:

Zetterberg(35) until 2021 @6.08
Franzen(36) until 2020 @3.9
Kronwall(35) until 2019 @4.75
Howard(32) until 2019 @5.29
Abdelkader(29) until 2023 @4.25
Ericsson(32) until [email protected]

They are really in a tough spot for the next 6 years. What is Holland doing?

Group Chat Legend*

Look, Shero being the guy who took him and kept him in a top 6 role did not trade for
Him to play 3rd line

UNLESS.

We sign another top 6 RW, then I guess we have no choice but to play him 3rd line.

TheRobotDevil13

Jun 3, 2016
Hell
Oh man I didn't realize how awful Detroit's day was. And that's just new signings.

Helm(29) for 5 [email protected]
Vanek(32) for 1 year @2.6
Nielson(32) for 6 years @5.25

On the deals:

Zetterberg(35) until 2021 @6.08
Franzen(36) until 2020 @3.9
Kronwall(35) until 2019 @4.75
Howard(32) until 2019 @5.29
Abdelkader(29) until 2023 @4.25
Ericsson(32) until 2020

They are really in a tough spot for the next 6 years. What is Holland doing?

Creating A cap disaster. But I cant say I don't enjoy it. Still not as bad as columbus. They have the worst cap in the league imo

SteveCangialosi123

Feb 17, 2012
NJ
Him to play 3rd line

If we sign Boedker, what happens?

And penciling in a man made of glass in a top 6 role in foolish. I wouldn't mind trying him in the top 6, but ain't no way an injury prone guy on a 1 year deal for less than a mil is guaranteed a top 6 spot.

HenriquesJawLine

Mar 6, 2009
@Devilsinsiders: "We like what Ray has been doing. The team is only trending up and I'm really excited to be part of the next step."

- DSP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad