NHL forming Competition Committee - players and owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
Report: NHL Competition Committee Formed

POSTED: 1:23 pm EDT July 1, 2005

Toronto, ON -- The new competition committee that is expected to be a key component in the revamped National Hockey League after the lockout ends has been set up, according to The Sports Network of Canada.

The new entity will be responsible for discussing and recommending all rule changes, something that was previously handled by the league's general managers.

The idea of such a committee gained momentum during collective bargaining negotiations in early May. According to TSN, it will consist of four active players, four GMs and one owner.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/nhl/4675592/detail.html

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
First commitee members:

Players: Trevor Linden, Brendan Shanahan, Jarome Iginla and Rob Blake

GM's: Nashville's David Poile, Montreal's Bob Gainey, Edmonton's Kevin Lowe and Atlanta's Don Waddell

Philadelphia chairman Ed Snider will be the lone owner.

LordHelmet

May 19, 2004
Twin Cities
Jaded-Fan said:
First commitee members:

Owners: Nashville's David Poile, Montreal's Bob Gainey, Edmonton's Kevin Lowe and Atlanta's Don Waddell

Bolded item should read GM's... Not owners..

HckyFght*

Putting players on a rules committee is a terrible idea. Listen to them and the game will last one period and everyone will be padded up like the Michelin Man. If you're going to do that, then put 4 season ticket holders with at least 15 years tenure on the board as well. They might actually remember when it was an enjoyable game to watch and pay to attend.
-HckyFght!

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
I personally don't like the fatter lines. I understand it's being done (if its actually done) to create a bigger offensive zone, but I think you actually need to keep the defence alive too. I like the pressure when a team is on the PP and the PK'ers are trying to get it out of the zone.

If teams are likely to score on 70% of PP's then its gonna be a bit much... For me, anyways.

Also, if they physically take out the red line, that wouldn't make me happy either.

HckyFght*

I vote David Poile for League Commizar. Ansolute power. He loves the old rock'm sock'm game.
-H

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
I'm actually kinda surprised we arent seeing some of the other "big" teams in the league such as the Rangers, Maple Leafs etc...

Although i hate both teams they probably could have had a place somewhere

Scoogs

Jan 31, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Well I think they are looking at it in terms of experience with the game. John Ferguson Jr. (Leafs GM) isn't exactly a veteran of the game.

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Scugs said:
Well I think they are looking at it in terms of experience with the game. John Ferguson Jr. (Leafs GM) isn't exactly a veteran of the game.

He isnt? but i thought everyone's status within the world completely changes as soon as they end up in Toronto? :) I guess I was wrong...
Kiddings asside you do make a good point there although it doesnt explain why the league didnt include the Rangers...perhaps because the overall league is pissed at them for probably being the biggest culprit in escalating salaries

Strangelove

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HabsoluteFate said:
I'm actually kinda surprised we arent seeing some of the other "big" teams in the league such as the Rangers, Maple Leafs etc...

Although i hate both teams they probably could have had a place somewhere

They must've based their decisions strictly from a level-of-competency perspective.

London Knights

Jun 1, 2004
I don't think you can find many in even the Leafs fanbase who likes Peddie or Tannenbaum. And Ferguson is a young GM who hasn't established himself as a GM yet (don't turn this into one of those stupid look what he did threads...it was one year and it was his first year and that is not the topic of the thread anyway).

The same could be said of a number of other players/GM's/owners as to why they aren't there.

Personally I am no fan of Lowe and I don't want to see him continue to be given positions because of his Edmonton connections, but otherwise I like everyone on that list.

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
London Knights said:
I don't think you can find many in even the Leafs fanbase who likes Peddie or Tannenbaum. And Ferguson is a young GM who hasn't established himself as a GM yet (don't turn this into one of those stupid look what he did threads...it was one year and it was his first year and that is not the topic of the thread anyway).

The same could be said of a number of other players/GM's/owners as to why they aren't there.

Personally I am no fan of Lowe and I don't want to see him continue to be given positions because of his Edmonton connections, but otherwise I like everyone on that list.

I just realised that list is missing 2 very important guys...Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky...
perhaps they should have given some power to some old timers as well such as Bobby Orr or Bobby Hull...
it is supposed to help the on-ice product after all

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
HabsoluteFate said:
I just realised that list is missing 2 very important guys...Mario Lemieux and Wayne Gretzky...
perhaps they should have given some power to some old timers as well such as Bobby Orr or Bobby Hull...
it is supposed to help the on-ice product after all

They are both owners, aren't they? They could not be on unless as the sole owner rep.

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
Jaded-Fan said:
They are both owners, aren't they? They could not be on unless as the sole owner rep.
Maybe they should have had 2 or 3 owners then....

at least having some old timers i think would have been a good idea as well...they certainly would be in for the love of the game

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Adding players to this is a great idea....... who they have added isnt.

No European on the board to bring ideas over from Europe?

No Goalie on the board to give their perspective on things?

I would also have Mario on the panel just to have the voice he could bring.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
HabsoluteFate said:
Maybe they should have had 2 or 3 owners then....

at least having some old timers i think would have been a good idea as well...they certainly would be in for the love of the game

I think that they were purposefully making a point to the players by giving them four reps to the owners (on the face) one rep. Though in effect the owners have five votes, as they of course in the end control the GM's.

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
HabsoluteFate said:

2 of the GM's were former players as well, one a HoF'er, the other a solid NHL player.

IceDragoon

Jun 25, 2003
South of Sanity
Visit site
London Knights said:
Personally I am no fan of Lowe and I don't want to see him continue to be given positions because of his Edmonton connections...
Quite the assumption you leap to.
According to Gretzky, one of the smartest hockey minds around, KLo is, at least, on par with some of the best hockey minds. Maybe he is given these positions, because people-in-the-know, understand what he brings to the mix. Or... maybe they don't really care about the growth of our game and just want to tick off internet fans who have a hate on for anything 'Edmonton'. :dunno:
Yeah... that must be it. ;)

Personally, I think this is an excellent first step towards accountability for the product on the ice.
It's about time.
I like it... and would, even if KLo wasn't part of the committee

I would think they could and will consult with many past and current 'greats' of the game.
Just makes sense to use all resources available.

reckoning

Jan 4, 2005
Jaded-Fan said:
First commitee members:

GM's: Nashville's David Poile, Montreal's Bob Gainey, Edmonton's Kevin Lowe and Atlanta's Don Waddell

When Lowe gets fired as Oiler GM, will he have to resign from the committee?

HabsoluteFate

Nov 28, 2002
Visit site
John Flyers Fan said:
2 of the GM's were former players as well, one a HoF'er, the other a solid NHL player.

Good point...but i dont know theres something about the list I dont like...but then again i guess they cant please everyone...

and no i'm not against someone like Bob Gainey being in there...not just because i'm a habs fan but because he is a great hockey mind...

i agree with the comments about the list missing a goalie and a european presence....
I'd rather not comment about the Don Cherry proposition I read somewhere (either on here or on TSN.ca)....he's overrated and i never liked the guy anyways... If he was in it the first thing he would try to get voted would be to get all Europeans out of the league and the stanley cup would be given to Toronto automatically every year.

futurcorerock

Nov 15, 2003
Columbus, OH
Of all the things I wanted to see in the lockout... this is the one. This is also the most symbolic: Players and Owners working together for the betterment of the game

Happy 4th of July all!

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
futurcorerock said:
Of all the things I wanted to see in the lockout... this is the one. This is also the most symbolic: Players and Owners working together for the betterment of the game

Happy 4th of July all!

*points up at the unhappy GM's article that he linked and ;) * . . . well, it was nice for the day or so it lasted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad