GDT: NHL DRAFT LOTTERY | "Lottery Dynasty" | Oilers vs. The Field | Tuesday, April 9 | 6 PM | SN

Will the Oilers win the draft lottery?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Can’t see Dach falling to us.

He looks amazing.
Team ahead of us may have USNTDP bias over WHL..
Even with WHL, Byram and Cozens are more shiny. Podkolzin will drop out of top 10 IMO

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
Come on dont tell me it doesnt have some hindsight bias involved every single fan wishes he would have turned out but the hockey world collectively thought we landed a 6'4 player who could fly (pre bone spurs) and would put up 70-80 points.
View attachment 211609

You literally said you would prefer Pulju over Matthews in his draft thread.

Every player has a chance of busting I despise when people say so and so has a 3rd line floor and then time after time they dont meet it. I fully understand trading the pick but it needs to be for the right guy otherwise trading it for the sake of it is dumb. I have yet to see and ambitious proposals from most on who we should trade it for rather than bundling it with Lucic for a 2nd and cap space when we have other assets we can use to do that who will be exposed to the expansion draft.

Again just since we have had a couple guys bust doesnt mean that we will pick another but for the sake of the Organization regardless of whether we use it or trade it lets get full value or more and the best player available (or in the trade). If you want examples I just posted who I target if we decide to trade it.

Classic case of being a homer, especially after the high of seeing a winning team (less the next supposed disappointing year). Especially with what was projected from this player, the points noted made sense at the time. It's revisionist, but at the same time, I'm not a professional scout.

At this point, that's a stretch for the people paid six figures to be that for this team.

The point you're making is that I shouldn't be picking the player based on my post history, and my point is that I agree with you, but I'm not looking to pick at all. However, I can see the larger issues surrounding this team and the urgency that should be felt around this board.

"Like I said:
Ehlers for 8th +
Connor for 8th ++
Rakell for 8th +
McAvoy for 8th + 2nd ++
Trouba for 8th ++
Hamilton for 8th +"

As I've said in prior posts, I'm looking for a player that's impactful now in the post you quoted:

"Not to mention we have a justifiably upset core, trade rumors flying (which are admittedly Toronto based but are still somewhat valid considering on ice production) zero depth and no real help on the back end. I don't see how, within our position, our best bet is to take a tweener sized USNTDP player who will take 3-4 years to be effective is going to be helpful.

I see where you're coming from, especially with where the NHL is at right now in terms of size/speed/skill. I'm saying that we're typically on the back end of any trend, we have a constant row of idiots in charge, and we need to have a little urgency in regards to what we need to be on our actual roster within the next 1-2 years to appease a lot of people, on and off the ice. The #8 pick doesn't do it for me."

I agree with everyone you've noted, and I'm also okay with the proposed idea to drop down in the draft if that means anchoring Lucic as well. Unlikely, because that's a Titanic of a contract/player but as someone stated #8+Lucic for Vancouver's 2019 1st rounder? Take it and run.

KlefDown

I adore Soli
May 2, 2014
Pure insanity.
The team made a horrible mistake, lets make a worse mistake.
Very oileresque suggestion.
Pay a 25 point winger who does nothing for our team $6million for the next 5 years

or
Realize our mistake, pay for it now, and move on with newly freed cap space on better players

What’s more insane?

OilerTitanFan

Feb 26, 2019
Come on dont tell me it doesnt have some hindsight bias involved every single fan wishes he would have turned out but the hockey world collectively thought we landed a 6'4 player who could fly (pre bone spurs) and would put up 70-80 points.
View attachment 211609

You literally said you would prefer Pulju over Matthews in his draft thread.

Every player has a chance of busting I despise when people say so and so has a 3rd line floor and then time after time they dont meet it. I fully understand trading the pick but it needs to be for the right guy otherwise trading it for the sake of it is dumb. I have yet to see and ambitious proposals from most on who we should trade it for rather than bundling it with Lucic for a 2nd to create cap space when we have other assets we can use to do that who will be exposed to the expansion draft.

Again just since we have had a couple guys bust doesnt mean that we will pick another but for the sake of the Organization regardless of whether we use it or trade it lets get full value or more and the best player available (or in the trade). If you want examples I just posted who I target if we decide to trade it.

Watch Kakko bust like JP. Mark it down and I'll be bragging about it when he turns 20 like JP.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Watch Kakko bust like JP. Mark it down and I'll be bragging about it when he turns 20 like JP.

I dunno about that but I have to say watching his highlight reels I wasn't that blown away. Decent shot, ok skating, but nothing that stands out and makes you go "wow!".

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Pure insanity.
The team made a horrible mistake, lets make a worse mistake.
Very oileresque suggestion.

What these guys need to do is grow some balls and put him on ltir.

I can't believe were talking about buying out this piece of garbage or moving our 8th overall to rid ourselves of him.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Classic case of being a homer, especially after the high of seeing a winning team (less the next supposed disappointing year). Especially with what was projected from this player, the points noted made sense at the time. It's revisionist, but at the same time, I'm not a professional scout.

At this point, that's a stretch for the people paid six figures to be that for this team.

The point you're making is that I shouldn't be picking the player based on my post history, and my point is that I agree with you, but I'm not looking to pick at all. However, I can see the larger issues surrounding this team and the urgency that should be felt around this board.

"Like I said:
Ehlers for 8th +
Connor for 8th ++
Rakell for 8th +
McAvoy for 8th + 2nd ++
Trouba for 8th ++
Hamilton for 8th +"

As I've said in prior posts, I'm looking for a player that's impactful now in the post you quoted:

"Not to mention we have a justifiably upset core, trade rumors flying (which are admittedly Toronto based but are still somewhat valid considering on ice production) zero depth and no real help on the back end. I don't see how, within our position, our best bet is to take a tweener sized USNTDP player who will take 3-4 years to be effective is going to be helpful.

I see where you're coming from, especially with where the NHL is at right now in terms of size/speed/skill. I'm saying that we're typically on the back end of any trend, we have a constant row of idiots in charge, and we need to have a little urgency in regards to what we need to be on our actual roster within the next 1-2 years to appease a lot of people, on and off the ice. The #8 pick doesn't do it for me."

I agree with everyone you've noted, and I'm also okay with the proposed idea to drop down in the draft if that means anchoring Lucic as well. Unlikely, because that's a Titanic of a contract/player but as someone stated #8+Lucic for Vancouver's 2019 1st rounder? Take it and run.
Fair enough my only point is every player can bust and we all have changed our tune for the most part on Puljujarvi being anything that he once seemed to be (as noted an elite player who would be perfect with McDavid). I just dont think we can use that pick against the team too much as every team would have made it less the Blue Jackets and maybe the Habs (doubt they would have reached again after Dubois was gone) who were desperate for centers.

I think we are on the same page apart from the sense and I may be reading in between the lines too much you seem very focused on we cannot trust the team to make the pick when over the last bunch of years they have been mediocre to above average in my opinion. Our amateur staff is about the only thing I have any faith in minus Bob Green. Part of this is the apparent need to get this player to the NHL ASAP to appease our stars but realistically we just need to add a good forward or two this offseason and there are plenty available who wont cost the first and there are a few in our age range that will and more. I am fine with either of these options but we need to be smart about it.

The Lucic example noted in my prior post that was posted earlier in this thread was a hell of a lot worse than what you just mentioned which is actually reasonable although I think Van would want more to take on the full cap with no salary coming back our way.

All in all I think we agree but I seem to believe we have more options in terms of looking at the following JT Miller, Zucker, Kreider, or similar 2nd line guys. While most of those options leave us with the cap space to pursue another 2nd line tweener Ebs, Donskoi, etc in Free agency if we can move Russell. Is it ideal no but it at least gets us probably a net change of an additional 60 points in our top 6 from what we iced this year and bumps everyone down a slot so our bottom 6 will have better players in it not above their heads like they were in the top 6 e.i Khaira, Chiasson, etc.

This would allow us to have the 8th pick develop for a year and if necessary we can manage two with another trade next offseason where we move the 2020 1st etc as that is likely to be a lower pick if we do the above that is proposed (or manage it since I am for sure biased in how I value our assets).

Reactions: ohheyhemsky

Macblender

May 5, 2014
What these guys need to do is grow some balls and put him on ltir.

I can't believe were talking about buying out this piece of garbage or moving our 8th overall to rid ourselves of him.
Exactly if anything lets retain 1M and add our 2nd plus a decent prospect and that save us 5M. His actual salary would be reduced to 3.4M ish next season then 4.2M ish the following and 3.4M after that I believe while he carries a 5M cap hit. I am happy to eat 1M as long as we dont do any more stupid buyouts on guys with one year left on their deals e.i. Pouliot or Gryba sitting on the cap for 2-3 seasons at a cumulative 1.66M.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
His post-lottery mock is up on TSN.ca now.

1. NJD - Hughes
2. NYR - Kakko
3. CHI - Podkolzin
4. COL - Cozens
5. LAK - Dach
6. DET - Byram
7. BUF - Boldy
8. EDM - Turcotte
9. ANA - Broberg
10. VAN - Soderstrom
11. PHI - Krebs
12. MIN - Zegras
13. FLA - Knight
14. ARI - Harley
15. MTL - Lavoie
Yah dach playing himself into the top 5

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Yah dach playing himself into the top 5
Honestly if the draft went like that I would be pretty pumped.

Zegras, Krebs, and Turcotte are all players who fit the modern NHL with Zegras being the most Boom/Bust prospect of the bunch. Turcotte compares himself to Blake Wheeler and the main boards think he is like Point. Krebs is buried on a terrible team and is a good player in his own right.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Honestly if the draft went like that I would be pretty pumped.

Zegras, Krebs, and Turcotte are all players who fit the modern NHL with Zegras being the most Boom/Bust prospect of the bunch. Turcotte compares himself to Blake Wheeler and the main boards think he is like Point. Krebs is buried on a terrible team and is a good player in his own right.
Turcotte is alot smaller than Wheeler, I hope he means in playstyle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad