GDT: NHL DRAFT LOTTERY | "Lottery Dynasty" | Oilers vs. The Field | Tuesday, April 9 | 6 PM | SN

Will the Oilers win the draft lottery?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

McTonyBrar

Apr 2, 2018
You guys wouldn’t pick at 8th? What’s so bad about Dach, Cozens, Turcotte etc? Lmao trading it is important? I’m sure trading the pick we did for Reinhart was important as well

Reactions: North

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Because if it’s not a top 2 pic we have no faith in this organization to get it right.
If that is the case then we can do a lot better than trade the pick + lucic for a 2nd or some dumb idea like that. Retain 1M on Lucic and add what is needed (e.i. Puljujarvi, Maksimov, one of the D prospects) to get back a mid end 3C on a slight over pay of a deal (3-3.5M ish) and solve a different issue. That way we at least transition our cap to a useful area rather than have it all dead.

Like I said:
Ehlers for 8th +
Connor for 8th ++
Rakell for 8th +
McAvoy for 8th + 2nd ++
Trouba for 8th ++
Hamilton for 8th +

Target some player who is in our age range who brings a skillset we absolutely need who will be a big piece on this team for years to come not a Subban or any other 30 yr old player who is on a large deal.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
You do know 30/30 teams would of picked Puljujarvi there right? Seems like you are all about hindsight being 20/20.

Why didn't we draft Kucherov first in 2011, what a bunch of morons running this place.

Columbus picked Pierre Luc-Dubois........because their scouting staff did their job, unlike ours. Literally that same draft.

And no, it's not about hindsight, it's about circular history within this organization. The definition of insanity within hockey is letting the same group do the same thing every year and expecting different results.

So looking at the 8th pick specifically, there's very little success there. If you want to draw the last 20 years of 9th overall, we can check the success of that pick as well. If you're looking at current success, then you have to take into account this scouting staff (which might not even be there at the time of the draft) and their track record.

Not to mention we have a justifiably upset core, trade rumors flying (which are admittedly Toronto based but are still somewhat valid considering on ice production) zero depth and no real help on the back end. I don't see how, within our position, our best bet is to take a tweener sized USNTDP player who will take 3-4 years to be effective is going to be helpful.

I see where you're coming from, especially with where the NHL is at right now in terms of size/speed/skill. I'm saying that we're typically on the back end of any trend, we have a constant row of idiots in charge, and we need to have a little urgency in regards to what we need to be on our actual roster within the next 1-2 years to appease a lot of people, on and off the ice. The #8 pick doesn't do it for me.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
You guys wouldn’t pick at 8th? What’s so bad about Dach, Cozens, Turcotte etc? Lmao trading it is important? I’m sure trading the pick we did for Reinhart was important as well

Trading the pick would be the dumbest thing they could do unless they get a young, scoring forward locked up long term. In other words, Ehlers or bust of the somewhat realistic scenarios with an add from the Oilers.

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
That would be such a freaking reach. MacKenzie doesn't even have him top 15...the highest I have seen him ranked is 11. Big guy but his regular season offense was okay. Much better picks available there.

Up the Irons

Mar 9, 2008
Canada
gotta look at trading it. I have absolutely zero confidence that our staff can actually pick the BPA. if anything, they will pick the one dud, or the weakest, of 4 or 5 options at the spot.

look long an hard at trading the pick.

Reactions: TheRebuild

oil Leaks

The Ultimate Decoy
Jul 5, 2011
I'm not a huge fan of trading down but if Vancouver offers 2019 first for Lucic and our first, that's a deal I might consider.

ohheyhemsky

Regehr DooDoo
Nov 1, 2010
DT Cowtown
gotta look at trading it. I have absolutely zero confidence that our staff can actually pick the BPA. if anything, they will pick the one dud, or the weakest, of 4 or 5 options at the spot.

In the end it's a double edged sword. Do you trust the idiots who would f*** up the pick to trade the pick?

Reactions: Debbie Mathers

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007

What do you have more confidence in, the Oilers making a decent draft pick at 8 or the Oilers winning a trade?

North

Jun 25, 2009
You do know 30/30 teams would of picked Puljujarvi there right? Seems like you are all about hindsight being 20/20.

Why didn't we draft Kucherov first in 2011, what a bunch of morons running this place.

Brian Burke even said if the Flames were in that situation they would have selected Puljujarvi.

Not sure why people are rewriting history.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
Columbus picked Pierre Luc-Dubois........because their scouting staff did their job, unlike ours. Literally that same draft.

And no, it's not about hindsight, it's about circular history within this organization. The definition of insanity within hockey is letting the same group do the same thing every year and expecting different results.

So looking at the 8th pick specifically, there's very little success there. If you want to draw the last 20 years of 9th overall, we can check the success of that pick as well. If you're looking at current success, then you have to take into account this scouting staff (which might not even be there at the time of the draft) and their track record.

Not to mention we have a justifiably upset core, trade rumors flying (which are admittedly Toronto based but are still somewhat valid considering on ice production) zero depth and no real help on the back end. I don't see how, within our position, our best bet is to take a tweener sized USNTDP player who will take 3-4 years to be effective is going to be helpful.

I see where you're coming from, especially with where the NHL is at right now in terms of size/speed/skill. I'm saying that we're typically on the back end of any trend, we have a constant row of idiots in charge, and we need to have a little urgency in regards to what we need to be on our actual roster within the next 1-2 years to appease a lot of people, on and off the ice. The #8 pick doesn't do it for me.

Come on dont tell me it doesnt have some hindsight bias involved every single fan wishes he would have turned out but the hockey world collectively thought we landed a 6'4 player who could fly (pre bone spurs) and would put up 70-80 points.
upload_2019-4-9_20-0-13.png

You literally said you would prefer Pulju over Matthews in his draft thread.

Every player has a chance of busting I despise when people say so and so has a 3rd line floor and then time after time they dont meet it. I fully understand trading the pick but it needs to be for the right guy otherwise trading it for the sake of it is dumb. I have yet to see and ambitious proposals from most on who we should trade it for rather than bundling it with Lucic for a 2nd to create cap space when we have other assets we can use to do that who will be exposed to the expansion draft.

Again just since we have had a couple guys bust doesnt mean that we will pick another but for the sake of the Organization regardless of whether we use it or trade it lets get full value or more and the best player available (or in the trade). If you want examples I just posted who I target if we decide to trade it.

Reactions: McRpro

harpoon

Dec 23, 2005
Stolen from the Devils board. The folks over there are pretty happy right now.
Meh, I'd rather see them have it than the Hawks or Kings for sure.

hyJsEDl.jpg

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
I just noticed Craig Button has Dach 15th on his list, what the hell.
His post-lottery mock is up on TSN.ca now.

1. NJD - Hughes
2. NYR - Kakko
3. CHI - Podkolzin
4. COL - Cozens
5. LAK - Dach
6. DET - Byram
7. BUF - Boldy
8. EDM - Turcotte
9. ANA - Broberg
10. VAN - Soderstrom
11. PHI - Krebs
12. MIN - Zegras