Speculation: NHL Draft '17

CBJFan827

I hate you Brad Marchand
Jul 19, 2006

Just turned 20--this year's late round Euro overager steal?

I told my partner last night that the Jackets will select an older Euro player in the 6th/7th round who will be a steal.

We also just drafted a kid outta (F) Miami (OH), Carson Meyer. From Powell.

GoJackets1

Someday.
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Meyer was pretty good for a freshman in the games that I saw him play last year. Definitely has some skill, unsure if he'll be able to translate it to the NHL though.

While we're on Miami kids, we need to pick up the other Sherwood brother Kiefer. He's a very similar player to Josh Anderson, with more playmaking ability.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
As a fun fact, Davidsson's older brother Jonathan (Jon Davidsson) will be an overager available in this draft. He's projected to go in the late rounds.

Hey hey hey.

(Whoops I accidentally hit edit on that post haha)

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
So weird to see these local kids I played against at the Chiller getting drafted.

I know the feeling. I use to play with Connor Murphy during drop ins as he was a year or two younger than I was and we both were playing in the adult drop ins underage. Connor was Always hurt as a kid, i remember when my friend told me he was going to Miami and I was shocked because I don't think he played more than a handful of games both in two seasons leading up to it. One of my best friends played with Sean Kuraly and I remember him talking about how good Brandon Saad was when they played him, he told me back then the kid was a surefire pro.

I was always competing with his brother Tyler for the goalie spot on the AAA team.

I remember this one season Tyler played like absolute **** and all my friends who tried out were pretty sure I was gonna get the spot and they just handed it to him because his dad was the assistant coach of the Jackets.

Don't get me wrong he wasn't a bad goaltender, just irritating is all.

Last edited:

Jackets16

Jan 7, 2005
Daniil Tarasov – Tolpar Ufa (MHL)
Wonderful performance at the U18s (5 GP – 2.11 GAA, .921 SV%) has made him all the rage in some scouting circles.

http://ingoalmag.com/features/future-watch-goalies-2017-nhl-draft/

What's the injury and how likely is he to recover? Seems a little early to pick a player like this, but sounds like he could have been a 1st rounder if he had played this season.

Edited to add: he had a knee injury. Hope the scouts did their research.

I am pretty sure the scouts did their job.

Hello Johnny

Apr 13, 2007
Love what we did here today. Trexier is interesting, as is Tarasov. Got a lot of centers and skill players as well. Very interested in Howarth, and Stucker is a guy that was ranked in the 3rd round. Honestly never got too excited about Kolesar, even though I liked him. I'll take our chances with Trexier.

Maylo

It never happened.
May 20, 2017
Jarmo said they would have drafted Texier in first round, this way Vegas deal now looks like Kolesar + 2019 2nd, for Clarkson contract and to keep Anderson.

CalBuckeyeRob

Feb 25, 2012
Jarmo said they would have drafted Texier in first round, this way Vegas deal now looks like Kolesar + 2019 2nd, for Clarkson contract and to keep Anderson.

If he never makes it will Jarmo admit he blew a first round pick on him?

JacketsFanWest

Jun 14, 2005
Los Angeles, CA
I don't mind the Texier pick, but I'm not sure about giving up Keegan to draft a risky player.

Bemström could be the Björkstrand or Abramov of the draft. He's fast and skilled. He played his youth hockey Järna which is about 20km from my Swedish hometown (Gnesta). So I have my new favorite prospect. Too bad he plays for Leksands, but it should be a good fit for him now they've been relegated to Allsvenskan. Expect him to put up some good numbers.

Goalies are hit or miss in the draft, but might as well take a risk on one. Russian goalies may not come over, but when the CBJ have Bob as a mentor, it's a good situation.

The overagers I'm a little concerned with. I mainly saw Davidsson season before last when he was sort of meh with Djurgården. Nothing special offensively, average defensively. I wonder how he will improve compared to taking a risk on an 18 year old. He's almost replacing Zaar but Zaar had more offensive skill but Davidsson is more defensively responsible. I don't think Davidsson is suited for a top 6 role, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

Davidsson does have a nice release (the pass is from his brother Marcus):

Another goal from Jonathan Davidsson:

Kale Howarth has size, but playing against kids in Junior A as a 19 year old doesn't really say much about his offensive potential.

Robbie Strucker is the traditional longshot type drafted out of high school, and it's a good comparison. The Jackets draft a Tyler Bird at 18 years old and a few years later he's not looking like a great pick. Waiting a few years, at least they know what they're getting. Strucker seems like a better pick than Bird or even Howarth but it will be 3-4 years before the Jackets will know what they got in him and that's fine. There's plenty of other prospects.

European overagers make more sense because some players get buried in lower level teams or don't get as much playing time, so in their draft year there's limited viewing. Arizona drafted a Swede in the 7th round named Erik-Walli Walterholm who barely played for Djurgården's top junior team. It would make more sense to wait to see how that player does as a 19 year old than waste a draft pick, but situations do happen. Some times players don't leave their small towns until after they graduate from high school. Or they play for a terrible team.

There's an 20 year old Austrian playing for Malmö who didn't get drafted but is finally getting solid coaching now that he left Södertälje and has 1st line potential. That's the sort of player I'd rather take as an overager. (That's Lukas Haudum who was ranked #79 EU Skater by Central Scouting and wasn't selected. Strange).

Last edited:

Prntscrn

Sep 29, 2011
Sweden
The overagers I'm a little concerned with. I mainly saw Davidsson season before last when he was sort of meh with Djurgården. Nothing special offensively, average defensively. I wonder how he will improve compared to taking a risk on an 18 year old. He's almost replacing Zaar but Zaar had more offensive skill but Davidsson is more defensively responsible. I don't think Davidsson is suited for a top 6 role, but I hope I'm wrong about that.

The Davidsson brothers were among our better forwards last season, even though points might not show it. When our expected top players let us down big time, our juniors, those two in particular, stepped up and created lots of scoring chances. Solid pick at 170th imo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad