Confirmed with Link: NHL and Shanny deems that Gryba gets 2 games

arian487

Jul 15, 2009
For anyone that saw it, the Phaneuf elbow tonight was definitely worse than Gryba's hit. The outcome was not as gruesome though and it's also the Leafs so of course there won't be a suspension.

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
So here's the Phaneuf hit on Paille. I'm surprised this hasn't garnered more attention - Paille was clearly cut because of the hit, and it looks like A) Principal point of contact is the head, and B) Phaneuf leaves his feet right as he's making the hit. Not an obvious jump at the head, but a little 'hop'.

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
So here's the Phaneuf hit on Paille. I'm surprised this hasn't garnered more attention - Paille was clearly cut because of the hit, and it looks like A) Principal point of contact is the head, and B) Phaneuf leaves his feet right as he's making the hit. Not an obvious jump at the head, but a little 'hop'.

much more of an argument that this hit is principle head contact than the gryba hit. :shakehead

more LOLs care of the nhl. :shakehead:shakehead:shakehead

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
Larry Brooks wrote an interesting column today. He thinks Gryba should have gotten more, but to be fair to Brooks, he's been calling for tougher action on any hit to the head for years so at least he's consistent.
What I found interesting is the following paragraph, I think it points to the real issue here.

" Imagine the impact on overall league revenue and on the players’ ultimate escrow losses if the Rangers, Toronto, Montreal. Vancouver and Los Angeles should all go out in the first round."

Thunderhead

May 15, 2012
Raleigh NC
Larry Brooks wrote an interesting column today. He thinks Gryba should have gotten more, but to be fair to Brooks, he's been calling for tougher action on any hit to the head for years so at least he's consistent.
What I found interesting is the following paragraph, I think it points to the real issue here.

" Imagine the impact on overall league revenue and on the players’ ultimate escrow losses if the Rangers, Toronto, Montreal. Vancouver and Los Angeles should all go out in the first round."

Teams that do not deserve to advance should not. I don't care about Bettman's revenues.

Ragged

Sep 10, 2009
Their headline even made it to Coach's Corner, I'm sure the people at the Ottawa Sun are ecstatic.

And Coach's Corner of course didn't display much class showing the headlines either, of course.

I hadn't thought of it that way. The Leafs fan and Bruins fan that pose as Sens beat writers should be thrilled. ;)

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007

It's a political decision

I'm not sure I'm ready to throw the NHL under the bus for money considerations

Let's be honest here, Eric Gryba was suspended: he was having a terrible game and isn't a key player on our team. If we lose the series it won't be because of the suspension.

The NHL lied and broke it's own rules to suspend to Gryba but let's keep cool heads

DuckedUpOnQuack

Aug 2, 2005
Ottawa
Let's be honest here, Eric Gryba was suspended: he was having a terrible game and isn't a key player on our team. If we lose the series it won't be because of the suspension.

The NHL lied and broke it's own rules to suspend to Gryba but let's keep cool heads

I think most people are upset about the suspension itself, not who was suspended. We're lucky it was someone like Gryba who can be replaced, but if it was Neil or Smith we'd have more trouble (even though they've been less than stellar).

maxmn

Feb 16, 2013
I'm not a Senator fan, at all. However that hit was not illegal and I don't agree at all with the suspension. But it's hardly to a key player, so really no harm to your team.

Was he supposed to deke away from the guy with the puck?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad