Confirmed with Link: NHL and Shanny deems that Gryba gets 2 games

ShippinUpToBoston

May 19, 2010
Plymouth, MA
Yep. Attempt to injure means jack ****. Player safety means jack ****. All that matters is the "clean" image of the league. If an injury makes the news, guaranteed suspension.

It doesn't help that it happened in Montreal against a Candien player. We all know how that team, media and fanbase act when things don't go their way. Biggest cry babies in all of sports.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
B's fan here posting in support.

If this sort of hit was consistently called illegal, I'd have no issue with it. However I feel that the message this now sends to players is that there's no real definition of what one of these hits is. You'd have no incentive to green light a guy cleanly now because the risk you run of this. Seems like it slows down a great game...

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Habs fan here...

I'm pretty sure Shanahan just spins a wheel and gives out whatever it lands on for any "controversial" hit.

How a repeat offender like Brown gets 0-games (no hearing), a repeat offender like Ference gets just 1-game, but Gryba gets 2-games, I'll never understand.

He's terrible at his job.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
B's fan here posting in support.

If this sort of hit was consistently called illegal, I'd have no issue with it. However I feel that the message this now sends to players is that there's no real definition of what one of these hits is. You'd have no incentive to green light a guy cleanly now because the risk you run of this. Seems like it slows down a great game...

It's damned frustrating. You could see last night the guys on the ice had no idea what they were allowed to do and they were just frozen. No one wants to take a bad penalty, yet no one knows what's allowable anymore.

It really feels like Shanahan did this on purpose because they didn't like hoe Eugene called them out on the lack of response for the Cooke stomp. Seems like now both the refs and the league office have it in for us.

Zguy370

Dec 25, 2007
It's damned frustrating. You could see last night the guys on the ice had no idea what they were allowed to do and they were just frozen. No one wants to take a bad penalty, yet no one knows what's allowable anymore.

It really feels like Shanahan did this on purpose because they didn't like hoe Eugene called them out on the lack of response for the Cooke stomp. Seems like now both the refs and the league office have it in for us.

Possibly., but I think if he didn't hand out any suspension, apart from the fact that the Canadiens have their own rule book, that the city would riot and all chaos would break loose like usual here (it was mentoined) what a moronic city/fan base:help:

Last edited:

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
Possibly., but I think if he didn't hand out any suspension, apart from the fact that the Canadiens have their own rule book, that the city would riot and all chaos would break loose like usual here (it was mentoined) what a moronic city:help:

lol, I just don't know what - if anything - is in their heads anymore. Suspend because of an injury, not intent...only when it's on Eller, but not on the Norris winning Karlsson? Say it's head contact, "not enough" body contact (wtf, has anyone even heard that before?), when replays clearly show it was shoulder to chest? Or deliberate attempts to injure (like Brown) are swept under the rug while a hit judged by everyone outside of Montreal as clean gets a suspension?

This feels like watching old tapes from the WWF, where 20k screaming fans can see a bad guy wrestler pull a wrench out of his pants and get away with murder while the only guy that matters - the ref - is completely clueless.

At this rate, I won't even be able to watch game 3...just way too hard on the nerves.

ZekeA

The Pride is Back...
Jan 13, 2009
Where the Cup is
I do NOT post on what goes on up top for the most part, I just read the posts on the board to see what is going on. As the people of Ottawa know much more about what is going up top than I do......

This Gryba getting 2 games for what I thought was a legal hit, I watched the replays 12 times or more still do NOT see how they say it will cost him 2 games, crazy.................................

When Cooke cut Erik Karlsson with his skate, which I thought was intentional, he does not even have a hearing, makes me wonder what the Hell is going on with the NHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
I do NOT post on what goes on up top for the most part, I just read the posts on the board to see what is going on. As the people of Ottawa know much more about what is going up top than I do......

This Gryba getting 2 games for what I thought was a legal hit, I watched the replays 12 times or more still do NOT see how they say it will cost him 2 games, crazy.................................

When Cooke cut Erik Karlsson with his skate, which I thought was intentional, he does not even have a hearing, makes me wonder what the Hell is going on with the NHL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

makes a lot of people wonder. also, gryba really got 3 games, he was ejected for most of the game AND the team had to play a man down for the remainder. Embarrassingly terrible. :shakehead

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Pittsburgh/Montreal fan here. Saw the hit in real time and at first thought Gryba picked the head.

Saw the replays, kept looking for it, but all I saw was the cleanest possible attempt at a legal hit, short of stopping playing hockey (and trying who knows what?)

I'm all for making the game safer, and would like to see results like this removed from the game, but don't see how Gryba is responsible on that play.

mat_sens

@mat_sens #lalala
Jan 22, 2007
Ottawa
Funny, the more I watch the replay, the more I think it's clean. How can Shanahan say this was a hit to the head?

I have lost a lot of respect for the NHL. Bunch of clowns running this league

EK65IsAGod

SensWerePrettyPesky
Jul 31, 2011
Maritimes
Also, this suspension is mostly due to the injury to Eller, but most of his injuries are due to him eating ice rather than the hit itslelf.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Possibly., but I think if he didn't hand out any suspension, apart from the fact that the Canadiens have their own rule book, that the city would riot and all chaos would break loose like usual here (it was mentoined) what a moronic city/fan base:help:

It's true to a degree, but they have tons of good/normal fans/people too (well at least my friends are lol). You just have to be really selective. But damn, they cry for injustice so much, they still think that everything is due to them... Why? Because medias keep talking about 24 cups but seriously 80% of those Cups were won in a 6 team semi-amateur regional league... Ottawa won 11 cups long ago too, it was kinda easy back then. Habs won 2 Cups in the last 35 years and that's what matters, it's now very hard to win it all... it's still good but not "superior" like they seem to think

So, my problem with that fanbase is that they think they are the center of the universe, which is annoying as hell. But you have no idea (well you do because you're from Montreal too) how much "bandwagonners" that fanbase have... You don't hear about the Habs a lot when they suck, but when they win, it's non-stop.

Funny, the more I watch the replay, the more I think it's clean. How can Shanahan say this was a hit to the head?

I have lost a lot of respect for the NHL. Bunch of clowns running this league

After a 3rd lockout in 3 years, I don't have much respect left... Well, it's not really respect, it's more about credibility

Not really that interested in the NHL anymore. I follow it but not as passionately as before

PinkPanther

Apr 5, 2007
Is there any process in place that can hold Shanahan accountable? If there is one, it's likely useless because the NHL regulates itself. There is no outside impartial body.

Despite what happened, the Sens have to focus on playing hockey and winning this series. They have to forge ahead.

On a side note, I've always heard of how whiny the Habs' fan base and the organization itself was but I always dismissed it. Since this incident I've changed my mind. I am of the opinion that Boston fans were right all along.

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010
I've been thinking about it and wondering...if that was a hit to the head, then the suspension should have been far more severe. A blatant elbow to the head on Grabovski got one game - but he was fine after. Would it have been 2 games if he was knocked out? Probably. Copious blood on the ice but not caused by the hit? 2 games.

If it really was a hit to the head, would've been 5 or 10 or more.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
It doesn't help that it happened in Montreal against a Candien player. We all know how that team, media and fanbase act when things don't go their way. Biggest cry babies in all of sports.

Yeah I'm quickly discovering that in this series. I thought Leafs were the worst through sheer ugly obnoxiousness, but this blubbering and crying is really something else.

Hossa18

Jan 20, 2008
Just to note also that former Hab Stefane Quintal is also on the player safety committee. Also not sure if Habs GM Marc Bergivin ever played with Shanahan or not.....There should be no bias when it comes to suspensions and maybe Shanahan should be gone....A former referee like K. Fraser would probably have less of a bias.

Slack

everything's fine?
Apr 27, 2012
Just to note also that former Hab Stefane Quintal is also on the player safety committee. Also not sure if Habs GM Marc Bergivin ever played with Shanahan or not.....There should be no bias when it comes to suspensions and maybe Shanahan should be gone....A former referee like K. Fraser would probably have less of a bias.

And what's funny is that Fraser had a great segment on TSN breaking down the hit and showing clearly that the primary contact was hip-to-groin and shoulder-to-chest/shoulder.

I'm not sure that there was any team bias involved in the decision but I am 100% convinced that it was done because of publicity and to preserve a clean image for the league. Really sad when a respected former player becomes a league shill.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
After a 3rd lockout in 3 years, I don't have much respect left... Well, it's not really respect, it's more about credibility
Yep, credibility will always be a question as long as you have a professional league in a conflict of interest due to the fact that the money they make depends on who wins. (that's true for all North American leagues, by the way).

Ideally you need a non-for-profit federation organizing the competition, or at least a body that doesn't have a stake in the result of the competition. Kind of how most competitions (like soccer of course) are held in pretty much the rest of the world outside North America.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad