OT: NHL All-Time Draft

ETTER DE

Jun 24, 2017
Sergei Makarov. Had a good NHL career but came over when he was 31 and played for six years. Watching him in the eighties was something special. Uberskilled. Drafting him at young age and watch him play in NHL when he was at his peak would have been fantastic.

Reactions: CHGoalie27

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
My goodness there are some terrible picks above us.

Sign me up for the era-defining Rocket Richard, please.

In fairness, Bure won by a single vote, and a (maybe) no-injuries Lindros could be an absurd force in today's league. But yeah, some were rather questionable. Calgary vote was tied so i took that into my own hands in giving them Bossy

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
I get that injuries aren't assumed, but Lindros, Forsberg, Bossy, and Bure's problems were genetic. I think they went way too high. Sakic, Yzerman, and Messier too because they're simply not better than some of the other forwards still on the board.

Frankly, if we take anyone other than Bobby Hull or Rocket Richard here, we all deserved Dylan McIlrath.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Rocket Richard was like the Ovechkin of his generation--so yeah him and IMO a better choice than a lot of those already taken. Might also mention he was a real asshole to play against.

Reactions: UnSandvich

ecemleafs

Jan 4, 2009
New York
Rocket Richard was like the Ovechkin of his generation--so yeah him and IMO a better choice than a lot of those already taken. Might also mention he was a real asshole to play against.
so was hull. led the nhl in goals 7 times. 3 art rosses. 2 harts. richard or hull seem like good choices here. they both should have went higher.

Reactions: eco's bones

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
so was hull. led the nhl in goals 7 times. 3 art rosses. 2 harts. richard or hull seem like good choices here. they both should have went higher.

Look at Esposito's numbers--a lot of the same timeframe. Espo is the premier scoring forward of his era. I'd take him before Hull. Just saying. Richard was arguably the best player of his era--between him and Gordie Howe who was a bit younger. Richard also has the Cups and was a maniac. By the way no disrespect to guys like Sakic, Yzerman and Forsberg but they don't really cut it when compared to some of these guys.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
Geesh guys...we all know defense wins championships and a guy that is probably next in line to Orr over all is Larry Robinson !!! Nine Cups ...enough said . Obviously we have a lot of young people in our group for his name not to have been mentioned . #24 of a 100 on Hockey News List...still too low IMO.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Geesh guys...we all know defense wins championships and a guy that is probably next in line to Orr over all is Larry Robinson !!! Nine Cups ...enough said . Obviously we have a lot of young people in our group for his name not to have been mentioned . #24 of a 100 on Hockey News List...still too low IMO.

If I'm going with former Canadiens defensemen though I'm going with Doug Harvey. Sorting your way through a 100 years worth of NHL defensemen though is a job. I mean Eddie Shore--what about him? Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin would be very high though too. A question for me would be where would Brian Leetch fit in. I look at the Yzerman, Sakic and Forsberg, Hasek, even Bossy choices and I think Leetch is up there with all those guys for sure. I mean Bossy was a great goal scorer and pretty good and underrated two way player as well but he also was dependent on Trottier as his center and Potvin running the power play. To me Potvin would have been great no matter what or who else was on the team--he wasn't as dependent on others.

leetch99

Leetch66 Joined 2007
Oct 5, 2017
PEI Canada
If I'm going with former Canadiens defensemen though I'm going with Doug Harvey. Sorting your way through a 100 years worth of NHL defensemen though is a job. I mean Eddie Shore--what about him? Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin would be very high though too. A question for me would be where would Brian Leetch fit in. I look at the Yzerman, Sakic and Forsberg, Hasek, even Bossy choices and I think Leetch is up there with all those guys for sure. I mean Bossy was a great goal scorer and pretty good and underrated two way player as well but he also was dependent on Trottier as his center and Potvin running the power play. To me Potvin would have been great no matter what or who else was on the team--he wasn't as dependent on others.
Potvin and or Robinson almost equal in most categories....for intangibles I give the nod to Big Bird . Shore was before my time...so I honestly can't say but I do put Leetch and Bourque below Robinson on any chart just on account of Cup rings . Looking at the list picked already and it is OK if you are 30 or younger and understandable somewhat but having watched more being 55 + in age does give us an advantage Eco....we have watched them first hand and are not relying only on stats and 2nd hand accounts. One name not mentioned so far and he was a great was Stan Mikita . I think the list as is ...is a wee bit too modern .

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Gilbert Perreault or Yzerman. Strength up the middle.

Putting you down for Perreault then, as Yzerman's gone

Potvin and or Robinson almost equal in most categories....for intangibles I give the nod to Big Bird . Shore was before my time...so I honestly can't say but I do put Leetch and Bourque below Robinson on any chart just on account of Cup rings . Looking at the list picked already and it is OK if you are 30 or younger and understandable somewhat but having watched more being 55 + in age does give us an advantage Eco....we have watched them first hand and are not relying only on stats and 2nd hand accounts. One name not mentioned so far and he was a great was Stan Mikita . I think the list as is ...is a wee bit too modern .

To be fair, using Rings as the main reason for putting Leetch and Bourque below Robinson is rather disingenuous, when you consider the teams the 3 played on. As for Mikita, he gained a bunch of traction on CHI's board, but they went with Messier and he hasn't really been mentioned since.

Shore played before the Norris trophy was a thing, but he'd likely have 8 if it was around when he was. 4 Hart Wins, and was a finalist 4 other times (never below another Dman when he was).

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY

Robinson played generally with better players than Potvin did though. Even winning 4 cups in a row those 80's Islanders teams were quite as deep. I mean Ken Dryden >>>Billy Smith. Robinson also played years and years on a defense that had two other HOF'ers Guy Lapointe and Serge Savard. Other HOF'ers on those Montreal teams--Henri Richard, Frank Mahovlich, Jacques Lemaire, Yvan Cournoyer, Guy Lafleur, Steve Shutt, Bob Gainey and I think I'm missing 2 or 3 others but those teams particularly in the 70's were about as stacked as stacked could be. Really the most comparable team to those 70's Canadiens teams were the Gretzky, Messier, Kurri, Coffey, Fuhr, Anderson Oilers.

It's a worthy argument though. Robinson was a fantastic defender. Mikita was a great player. Marcel Dionne was a tremendous player who played for a lot of shit teams.

Reactions: leetch99

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Would you guys like 1 more day? Or have enough votes been cast in your opinion?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad