OT: NHL All-Time Draft

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Y'all already know me, so I don't have to do the whole "Hello from the NYR Boards" schtick. Life without hockey's been somewhat boring lately, as I'm sure you're all aware, so I decided to do something to pass the time. Namely, an All-Time draft. The rules of such a draft are as follows:

1. Every team gets a single pick, and the draft order follows the standings as of 3/20/2020 (the first day of the draft), which will be posted in a follow-up post in the thread below. So even if a team traded its 1st Round pick in the 2020 NHL Entry Draft, they still get a choice in this draft.
2. All retired/inactive NHL players are considered eligible for this draft (including guys playing overseas like Jagr). All active NHL players, as well as players whose rights are owned by an NHL team, are ineligible
3. It is assumed that player abilities are "up-to-date" with the modern game, so a player like Eddie Shore who played in a far different NHL will not be at a disadvantage compared to say Wayne Gretzky or Jaromir Jagr
4. All players will be drafted into the organization at the age of 18, similar to the NHL Entry Draft
5. It is assumed that players will have a similar ceiling to during their playing career, and have the ability to reach said ceiling, although this is not guaranteed. Similarly, they are not guaranteed to suffer the same injury woes they did during their career (should that be relevant)
6. I'll give 2-3 days for votes to come in before the next team goes on the clock.
7. In the event of a tie, I will set up a tiebreaker poll
8. I won't set up a starting poll (if one is requested) until sufficient votes have been cast, so as not to prematurely restrict choices

Rangers, you are now on the clock with the 16th pick in the 2020 NHL All-Time Draft!

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
1. Detroit Red Wings- Wayne Gretzky
2. Ottawa Senators- Mario Lemieux
3. San Jose Sharks- Bobby Orr
4. Los Angeles Kings- Gordie Howe
5. Anaheim Ducks- Jaromir Jagr
6. New Jersey Devils- Nicklas Lidstrom
7. Buffalo Sabres- Dominik Hasek
8. Montreal Canadiens- Jean Beliveau
9. Chicago Blackhawks- Mark Messier
10. Arizona Coyotes- Eric Lindros
11. Minnesota Wild- Joe Sakic
12. Vancouver Canucks- Steve Yzerman
13. Nashville Predators- Peter Forsberg
14. Florida Panthers- Pavel Bure
15. Calgary Flames- Mike Bossy
16. New York Rangers- On the Clock
17. Winnipeg Jets-
18. New York Islanders-
19. Columbus Blue Jackets-
20. Toronto Maple Leafs-
21. Carolina Hurricanes-
22. Dallas Stars-
23. Edmonton Oilers-
24. Vegas Golden Knights-
25. Pittsburgh Penguins-
26. Philadelphia Flyers-
27. Washington Capitals-
28. Tampa Bay Lightning-
29. Colorado Avalanche-
30. St Louis Blues-
31. Boston Bruins-

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Eh. McDavid maybe?

Ovechkin? Crosby? Trottier? Bourque? Dionne?

Active players are ineligible, per the bolded text of rule #2

We really got pick 16 in a draft 15 deep? How does this always happen?

I dunno mate, this draft is plenty deep. Still on the board are:

F: both Hulls, Morenz, Richard, Dionne, Esposito, Lafleur, Trottier
D: Shore, Harvey, Bourque, Potvin, Coffey
G (lol, yeah right): Roy, Brodeur, Sawchuk

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Selanne (1)- AK
Trottier (1)- ThirtyOne
Bourque (2)- UnSandvich, SingnBluesOnBroadway
Bobby Hull (3)- Crease, ecemleafs, SA16
Maurice Richard(6)- cwede, Harbour Dog, eco's bones, Rangers743, Brooklyn Rangers Fan, CHGoalie27
Esposito (1)- KirkAlberquerque
Makarov (1)- livingstone
Stevens (1)- RangerBlues
Robinson (1)- Leetch99

Last edited:

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
Is there a reason other than injury why this draft doesn't pretty much follow the exact rankings of best players of all time, removing active players, and if so why the selections so far seem outrageous?

Reactions: leetch99

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Is there a reason why this draft doesn't pretty much follow the exact rankings of best players of all time, removing active players, and if so why the selections so far seem outrageous?
Because teams picked different players.:teach:

UnSandvich

Sep 7, 2017
Is there a reason other than injury why this draft doesn't pretty much follow the exact rankings of best players of all time, removing active players, and if so why the selections so far seem outrageous?

I left it up to the fanbases themselves to choose, rather than simply doing it all myself, b/c where's the fun in that. Admittedly, I'm definitely not a fan of where certain players have gone (or have not gone) so far, but that's their prerogative.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
Orr's up there with Gretzky. To me they are an either/or. I'd absolutely take him over Lemieux. Hasek is way high. Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin are up there with Lidstrom. I hated Potvin but he was the Islanders best player in their Cup years. Then there's Phil Esposito.

Reactions: leetch99

Crease

Chief Justice of the HFNYR Court
Jul 12, 2004
BPA at each position:
  • Howie Morenz (C)
  • Bobby Hull (LW)
  • Maurice Richard (RW)
  • Doug Harvey or Ray Bourque (D)
  • Jacques Plante or Patrick Roy (G)
I'd go Bobby Hull.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Orr's up there with Gretzky. To me they are an either/or. I'd absolutely take him over Lemieux. Hasek is way high. Ray Bourque and Denis Potvin are up there with Lidstrom. I hated Potvin but he was the Islanders best player in their Cup years. Then there's Phil Esposito.
I don't think Hasek's spot is too bad, but consider that was Buffalo's slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad