NHL 2K10 is better than NHL 21

ResearchFlatEarth

Jul 27, 2021
It's kind of sad that a video game from around 12 years ago is far more realistic and fun to play than the only NHL video game on the market today. In my opinion Gary Bettman is hurting the popularity of the sport by allowing a horrible company like EA to plop out the same horrendous garbage year after a year. The game-play and even the graphics have somehow gotten worse, if you play NHL 18 (which still kind of sucks) you'll enjoy it more than NHL 21.

They should rename the game Cross-Crease 21 because that's the only way you could score goals. I borrowed NHL 21 for free from my library this week, and I played a few games online, literally every goal scored against me was a cross-crease goal. Pathetic, this doesn't even look like hockey, NHL 21 has no resemblance to the sport it claims to simulate. I intentionally didn't score a cross-crease goal on purpose even when I had an easy chance, I wanted to score any other way I could, and I couldn't. I only scored a couple goals from tipped in point shots, I'm not the best player but I'm good enough where I was able to score at least a few goals in other NHL games but this year the only way to score is cross-crease. How could anyone defend this piece of trash? At this point Gary Bettman, Roger Goodell, Dana White and any one else who represents a sport has to cut ties with EA because they have no interest in making decent sports video games anymore, clearly they're making their money on HUT micro-transactions (which is essentially legalised gambling for children).

TL/DR: this game sucks

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
The game isn't great, but when 2K and EA were going head to head, EA made NHL games that were vastly superior. Them returning to the market would push EA, which would be nice, but EA would still make better games than 2K. They always have.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Can't remember the username, but that poster with the avatar with the guy wearing a big helmet is going to come in and tell us all how 2K were the better games...he always does :laugh:

Reactions: NastyKnies
Jan 21, 2011
Massachusetts
Gary Bettman is hurting the popularity of the sport by allowing a horrible company like EA to plop out the same horrendous garbage year after a year.

Jesus Christ. How many times do posters like myself have to say this:

EA DOES NOT OWN THE SOLE RIGHTS TO THE NHL GAMING FRANCHISE.

Any other company can come in and produce their own version of the game. No other company, rumored or not, has not done so.

Cup or Bust

Oct 17, 2017
If you consider game flow and the ability to create a game that can produce realistic statistics 2k was certainly superior to EA. Making the game more difficult was much better as well. In 2K you would actually get outplayed on harder difficulties whereas in EA they just increase the computer shooting percentage it seems. For people that want a more fun arcade experience and superior presentation EA was often better. I prefer more of a sim and like accurate statistics so 2K usually appealed to me more. NHL 21 was pretty good but it was terribly repetitive and you had to tweak the heck out of the sliders to make it anything like a real hockey game and even then I still couldn't get it quite right. I wish there was another option for hockey games but it is understandable why there isn't. If people were buying 2K in the first place they would have kept making hockey games. NHL 09 and 10 really changed the game and pretty much ended 2K hockey. I loved NHL 2K11 for the Nintendo Wii and consider it one of my favorite hockey games ever. For those that have powerful gaming computers there is an amazing modded version of NHL 2k11 (2KHS) that has been updating the graphics, physics, rosters, sound etc. for a few years now and can be played on the Dolphin emulator. I have tried it but my PC wasn't quite powerful enough to maintain consistent framerates.

Reactions: Galactico

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
2k10 was a fun game, but the rosters were broken and passing was all too inaccurate. The 2k games pushed EA to actually further their games. Now it is mainly new gimmicks and very little updates to anything else than roster, soundtrack and menus.

Reactions: ResearchFlatEarth

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Jesus Christ. How many times do posters like myself have to say this:

EA DOES NOT OWN THE SOLE RIGHTS TO THE NHL GAMING FRANCHISE.

Any other company can come in and produce their own version of the game. No other company, rumored or not, has not done so.
The double negatives catch my curiosity!

ResearchFlatEarth

Jul 27, 2021
2k10 was a fun game, but the rosters were broken and passing was all too inaccurate. The 2k games pushed EA to actually further their games. Now it is mainly new gimmicks and very little updates to anything else than roster, soundtrack and menus.
Yeah, there are some problems with 2K10, not just the passing, the skating was kind of weird, the frame rate on the shots could be better, but overall it's still a more realistic and fun game than NHL 21. I don't know what happened between 21 and 18, EA is getting worse.

Reactions: mattihp

GermanSpitfire

EU Video Scout for McKeen’s
Jul 20, 2020
www.mckeenshockey.com
Competition breeds improvement. With EA battling against itself to sell copy’s there is no incentive to do more than a roster update paired with a new number on the cover.

If 2K came back with the skill stick and great features, it would be amazing for fans.

Three On Zero

Deranged Oreo Dolphin Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
No one else touches NHL games because it doesn't have a big enough market. It's not a product you'd get value out of

Reactions: vegarover

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
It's kind of sad that a video game from around 12 years ago is far more realistic and fun to play than the only NHL video game on the market today. In my opinion Gary Bettman is hurting the popularity of the sport by allowing a horrible company like EA to plop out the same horrendous garbage year after a year. The game-play and even the graphics have somehow gotten worse, if you play NHL 18 (which still kind of sucks) you'll enjoy it more than NHL 21.

They should rename the game Cross-Crease 21 because that's the only way you could score goals. I borrowed NHL 21 for free from my library this week, and I played a few games online, literally every goal scored against me was a cross-crease goal. Pathetic, this doesn't even look like hockey, NHL 21 has no resemblance to the sport it claims to simulate. I intentionally didn't score a cross-crease goal on purpose even when I had an easy chance, I wanted to score any other way I could, and I couldn't. I only scored a couple goals from tipped in point shots, I'm not the best player but I'm good enough where I was able to score at least a few goals in other NHL games but this year the only way to score is cross-crease. How could anyone defend this piece of trash? At this point Gary Bettman, Roger Goodell, Dana White and any one else who represents a sport has to cut ties with EA because they have no interest in making decent sports video games anymore, clearly they're making their money on HUT micro-transactions (which is essentially legalised gambling for children).

TL/DR: this game sucks
Poor Bettman gets blamed for everything. You know he probably has zero involvement in this, right?

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
2k5 and 2k6 were both better than NHL05 and NHL06, imo.

NHL04, 09, and 11 were excellent games however.

I used to buy hockey games regularly up to nhl 09.

Nhl 05 was the one that really stood out to me as being terrible. It was a lockout year, and it felt like EA mailed it in much like they have been doing in more recent years. It turned out to be the only year I bought the 2k version instead.

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
In NHL 20 you could score a larger variety of goals, but they ruined it in 21. Goalies are just way too aggressive on the shot, and are so vulnerable to cross-creases.

ResearchFlatEarth

Jul 27, 2021
Poor Bettman gets blamed for everything. You know he probably has zero involvement in this, right?
If he has zero involvement promoting his hockey league in the multi-billion dollar video game industry where he could grow the popularity of the sport exponentially then he deserves more blame than I've given him. Your comment is dumb, you fail.

Blitzkrug

Sep 17, 2013
Winnipeg
2K10 wasn't the prettiest looking game, but man did it ever play well.

Much more realistic while still maintaining a enjoyable pace and style of play.

It coming out when EA was in their golden age of Chel (09-14) was kind of unfortunate

Reactions: Nerowoy nora tolad

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Can't remember the username, but that poster with the avatar with the guy wearing a big helmet is going to come in and tell us all how 2K were the better games...he always does :laugh:

Looks like I have a stalker. I actually preferred the EA games after the next-gen consoles came out at that time, which was pretty much on the 360 and onward (until they got lazy and stopped trying after NHL 14, which was one of my favorites).

The 2K games were far superior in every way from NHL 2K3, and my personal favorite was 2K5. This was the time period where EA was all about arcade style gimmicks and gameplay, whereas the 2K games were more sim.

What are you, some type of EA fanboy who gobbles up every drop they discharge? I do appreciate you thinking about me, however. Heaven forbid someone who doesn’t suck on EA’s teat.

missingchicklet

Jan 24, 2010
I try EA's NHL game every year, and every year I get bored with it pretty quick and revert back to NHL 2K10 and NHL 14. I probably won't buy NHL 22 since the PS5 version is $70, which seems insane to me. For many years now my rotation of hockey games has been NHL 2K10, NHL 14, and the various NHL Hitz games just for arcade fun. I occasionally throw in 2K5 and 2K8 for some variety since I really enjoy those games as well. I thought the 2K games were generally more fun than the EA games through the 2000s since they played more realistic hockey. Starting with NHL 11 EA upped their game and had several years of pretty solid NHL games. My hockey video game dream is for A) a current gen game similar to NHL Hitz, and 2) 2K Sports to invest in making a really good hockey game again. Doubt either will happen.

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Looks like I have a stalker. I actually preferred the EA games after the next-gen consoles came out at that time, which was pretty much on the 360 and onward (until they got lazy and stopped trying after NHL 14, which was one of my favorites).

The 2K games were far superior in every way from NHL 2K3, and my personal favorite was 2K5. This was the time period where EA was all about arcade style gimmicks and gameplay, whereas the 2K games were more sim.

What are you, some type of EA fanboy who gobbles up every drop they discharge? I do appreciate you thinking about me, however. Heaven forbid someone who doesn’t suck on EA’s teat.
Ah there he is! :laugh:

Not a stalker, you just left quite the impression when you used to run into every video game thread going crazy about how much you loved 2K and EA was trash. It become comical.

And you are the last person that should be calling someone a "fan boy" ;)

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Ah there he is! :laugh:

Not a stalker, you just left quite the impression when you used to run into every video game thread going crazy about how much you loved 2K and EA was trash. It become comical.

And you are the last person that should be calling someone a "fan boy" ;)

Have any examples of this, or are you just talking out of your ass? I’ve actually professed my love for plenty of EA’s past games and all their PC NHL games up until 2002, which is when they went in a completely different direction. In fact, I still play some of them to this day.

God forbid someone doesn’t enjoy the same crap you do. And thanks for the admiration. You can commence with sucking EA’s ass on these forums.

Reactions: Smirnov2Chistov

The Crypto Guy

Jun 26, 2017
Have any examples of this, or are you just talking out of your ass? I’ve actually professed my love for plenty of EA’s past games and all their PC NHL games up until 2002, which is when they went in a completely different direction. In fact, I still play some of them to this day.

God forbid someone doesn’t enjoy the same crap you do. And thanks for the admiration. You can commence with sucking EA’s ass on these forums.
Heh, I remember you used to get all fired up back then too. Some things never change.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad