NHL 24 Discussion

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Yuck. 3v3s is ass IMO. I'll run Eliminator every once in awhile, but the player quality is generally quite low.

My bigger issue is with the AI's ability to defend year over year. They have next to no defensive awareness and zero interest in challenging puck carriers. They consistently get caught on pivots. EA's answer to that is giving them a whole different set of rules when it comes to puck and body physics.

In the end, it's the same issue: consistency.
That's why I play 3's, I cant stand 6's, I dont want to be sweating my ass off while im trying to unwind from a long day.

belair

Jay Woodcroft Unemployment Stance
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
That's why I play 3's, I cant stand 6's, I dont want to be sweating my ass off while im trying to unwind from a long day.
The sweating is what I enjoy about the game. A good 6v6 with teammates you read well off of is about as good as the game can get.

The Club Finals update this year is another step forward IMO. The population doesn't drop off like it did last year and the results of the games actually mean something.

Reactions: Tobias Kahun

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
The sweating is what I enjoy about the game. A good 6v6 with teammates you read well off of is about as good as the game can get.

The Club Finals update this year is another step forward IMO. The population doesn't drop off like it did last year and the results of the games actually mean something.
Do you play in LG at all or any of those leagues?

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
Do you play in LG at all or any of those leagues?
I've played with some of the guys who play in them. But I have no interest in the hardo playstyle. I don't really take it that seriously. Don't think I could fit it into my schedule either.

Troublesome 85

Proud Girl Dad
Dec 28, 2017
Sarasota/Bradenton
Its like the AI in the game got worse
Repeatedly my own teammates skate into me and instead of going around me they just continue into me
Repeatedly my own players let the other team skate into our o-zone

But somehow the cpu ai is better at everything

It be nice to have a realistic fluid nhl game. Im on a 4 on 3 PP and my guys are just not aggressive at all.

Why do my AI guys still skate away from the puck

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
New update and patch notes: NHL® 24 Patch 1.6.0

Gameplay
  • Any game mode that has LINE CHANGES OFF will now use the EASHL Stamina drain and recovery rules.
World of Chel

• Fixed an issue where debug text was shown when trying to report a player from EA Social

savebyrichter94

CALM LIKE A BOMB
Sep 14, 2008
PA
But somehow the cpu ai is better at everything

This is what’s really annoying and makes it so obvious your own team is completely dumbed down at times, if their AI can defend the blueline and the slot, why can’t mine?

And why does every teammate turn into a dangler? In Be A Pro no matter who my wingers are they start doing ridiculous dekes crossing the blueline or skating right at defenders and turning it over in addition to constantly wanting to take your position on the ice and running into you

So frustrating

amikaro

Sponsor
Nov 9, 2015
I tried 3vs3 drop-in twice with NHL24. Lost motivation right away as it takes forever to connect to a proper game.

Ending up playing FM in the same version in years.

Happiness level: medicore

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
This is what’s really annoying and makes it so obvious your own team is completely dumbed down at times, if their AI can defend the blueline and the slot, why can’t mine?

And why does every teammate turn into a dangler? In Be A Pro no matter who my wingers are they start doing ridiculous dekes crossing the blueline or skating right at defenders and turning it over in addition to constantly wanting to take your position on the ice and running into you

So frustrating
My favorite is how your teammates will skate next to the CPU but not hit them, or just stand next to the CPU in the slot and let them have free reign over rebounds or loose pucks, but the CPU defense will constantly ragdoll your guys if they're in front of the net.

It seems like the game has gone backwards in so many respects compared to the 360/PS3 days of 10-14. Why do my CPU players now always skate to the side of the net instead of staying out in front in the middle of the slot for dangerous passes? How are they programmed to try and backskate and spin everywhere to ruin potential breakout pass sequences? Why do they all need to do some weird, lengthy shoulder-shimmy animation after receiving passes while standing still before they can start skating?

So much of the action just feels weirdly stilted/stiff and much less fluid compared to older games.

Reactions: savebyrichter94

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Somehow this game gets worse every patch.

Which Pejorative Slurs even work on this game now, hard to find out, seems like they've hidden that information, because they're aware it f***ing sucks.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
I don't mean to sound like I'm overreacting but if you play Ones and you go for lacrosse goals you should be jailed for life.

Reactions: amikaro

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
I agree with this wholeheartedly.

The game still has tons of room for improvement and is littered with bugs and lazy mistakes, but the gameplay itself is the best it's ever been and this most recent version took, by far, the biggest steps we've seen in years in terms of improving the game.

None of this is saying much, cause the gameplay has been lousy and the changes from year to year have been minimal, but the new devs that jumped on halfway through the cycle of this years game have already largely improved the game.
Out of curiosity, what game modes do you mostly play?

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
This is the most dead I've ever seen CHEL pub matches and the game is fully crossplay now. People I know who've played that game mode competitively have just given up, just isn't catered to the competitive gamer at all anymore. Sad

Last edited:

Favster

Jul 21, 2013
Montreal
CHEL 6v6, CHEL 3v3.
Fair. I think they're at the point where they need to strip down and redo the entire physics engine which is highly unlikely due to the yearly decreasing sale figures. I feel like the game is just a pile of randomness which has drastically reduced the skill gap.

Now the question to ask is was it intended?

I've played this game with multiple different 6v6 teams in eSports tournaments and all I can say is many high end players have stopped, or barely play at all due to their dissatisfaction with the product and to be honest, it sucks to see. The CHEL community was pretty awesome around Covid time and it's slowly evaporating away, it's too bad.

EDIT

NHL23 was the worst for awful/random bounces but this one is a close second. It's painful to play competitvely in tight games.

Reactions: Jakk123

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Fair. I think they're at the point where they need to strip down and redo the entire physics engine which is highly unlikely due to the yearly decreasing sale figures. I feel like the game is just a pile of randomness which has drastically reduced the skill gap.

Now the question to ask is was it intended?

I've played this game with multiple different 6v6 teams in eSports tournaments and all I can say is many high end players have stopped, or barely play at all due to their dissatisfaction with the product and to be honest, it sucks to see. The CHEL community was pretty awesome around Covid time and it's slowly evaporating away, it's too bad.

EDIT

NHL23 was the worst for awful/random bounces but this one is a close second. It's painful to play competitvely in tight games.

That's an interesting take, cause I feel like the opposite has happened. By getting rid of so many of the "automatic" goals of the past few years, the game now requires a lot more skill and certainly requires a lot more knowledge of the game if you're playing 6 v 6 with no AI players.

So much of the "competitive" CHEL I saw before was just a series of glitch/automatic goals being strung together while players skated around in a half crouch with their back to their opponents.

Sure there was "skill" involved in that, but it wasn't hockey skill and it didn't represent the sport, at all.

If you watch two good teams play a game of sixes now, it actually looks like a hockey game and that was never the case before NHL24.

Reactions: Faceboner

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
That's now thirteen Ones finals without a win. I did get one first today though, my first message from someone who beat me laughing at me missing a poke check for the winner. My first two rounds were probably the most dominant I've had yet, I get to the final and... I can barely get near the puck. The other two players are obviously better, but this invisible wall of a skill gap isn't going away. And I still don't understand how people can have power forward builds who can dangle and deke the goalie at will, or danglers who can flatten you with no run-up.

I have no idea what previous games were like but, for the most part, I understand why the puck does things when it comes into contact with players.

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
I'm an OG gamer who just wants a fun hockey experience with customization and visual accuracy. How on earth does EA...

1. Have certain "star players" using generic faces that aren't even close.
2. Prevent the user from at least updating said faces with the customizer.

Also, why is the Creation Zone extremely limited. For example, you should be able to create new uniforms by using any team uniform set in the game as a base, such as... taking the Vancouver Canucks Flying V uniforms and changing colors, etc.

The same with Arenas... you should be able to use the Bell Centre as a starting point then change seat colors, logos, etc. This shouldn't be difficult at all since the art is already built.

Similarly, how can you not create vintage helmetless players when there are already legends without helmets in the game? Just have a simple "helmet/mask ON/OFF" toggle when editing or creating a player.

Some of the limitations in this series are still completely bizarre to me.

I mean, should it be too much to ask to be able to recreate the Quebec Nordiques from scratch and build Le Colisee with light blue bumpers, and "Le Colisee de Quebec" wordmark on the ice?

Another thing are the jerseys during PRACTICE/TRAINING mode. Why is it locked to default to the home uniform? Why can't you choose the jersey you want to practice in the same way you can when you begin a game? Again, this should be a 2 second fix.

Reactions: kirby11

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
this game is trash, they completely nerfed hitting which was the only reason i ever played in the first place. luckily, you can still find matches on 23.

belair

Apr 9, 2010
Canada
this game is trash, they completely nerfed hitting which was the only reason i ever played in the first place. luckily, you can still find matches on 23.
They absolutely did not nerf hitting in '24. You just need to learn how to do it. Hitting is one of the more rewarding parts of the game and requires the necessary anticipation.

Reactions: FerrisRox

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
They absolutely did not nerf hitting in '24. You just need to learn how to do it. Hitting is one of the more rewarding parts of the game and requires the necessary anticipation.
yes they did. believe me, i know how to hit in 24, it's just that it's lame as shit compared to 23, 22, and every year that came before it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad