NHL 2017/18 Team Rankings

Sep 20, 2013
In The Crease
So, what do you guys believe is the best option to handle OT SO games? A, B, or C?

Given that OT and SO are completely different skillsets than a regular game and aren't relevant at all come playoff time, I vote for B. Treat the game like the draw it actually is, and ignore the silly skills competition put in to satisfy the fans who "need" a winner.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
The other decision I made was to score a W, OTW, and SOW as 1. And an L, OTL and SOL as 0.

I don't agree with omitting OT and SO games out right.

A) I can keep scoring as is (1 an 0)
B) Or count OT and SO as a draw (1, 0.5 and 0)
C) Or use a 3 point system so (1 for W, 0.66 for OTW and SOW, 0.33 for OTL and SOL, and 0 for L)

Any of these will produce good results. And non of these will make every body happy. And this discussion will never end.

So, what do you guys believe is the best option to handle OT SO games? A, B, or C?

B. I take it the bad team would get points for a regulation draw in that one.

(To combine B and C where there is one outcome for regulation, and with a less factor another outcome for OT, and then an even less factor another outcome for a shoot-out is the even more complicated version, with up to three adjustments per game.)

Last edited:

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
Sorry for the delay guys. I will post new rankings tomorrow based the changes above. So in the new rankings, OT and SO games will be scored as a tie.

Oh great my team will further fall behind :biglaugh:

The Coyotes amazingly only have 4 regulation wins. When I checked into this very thing (OT = Tie) the other night I found the Coyotes would lose about a third of their already meager point total.

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Updated for Jan 16.
Note: I changed the scoring system so that OT/SO games are considered ties.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Updated for Jan 16.
Note: I changed the scoring system so that OT/SO games are considered ties.

Great! Just as a stupid question, as I'm not so good with this formula: Imagine the Coyotes get a tie against the Sharks this evening. How much would that give the Yotes, at the cost of the Sharks?

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Great! Just as a stupid question, as I'm not so good with this formula: Imagine the Coyotes get a tie against the Sharks this evening. How much would that give the Yotes, at the cost of the Sharks?

These are rounded but should be close
TeamCurrent ScoreChange if Sharks WChange if TChange if Cayotes W
Sharks2594+2.14-47.86-97.86
Cayotes1930-2.14+52.14+97.86
[TBODY]

[/TBODY]

XanderCrews34

Mar 28, 2014
Interesting...when it comes to "recent" ELO scores...the Pens are #1 with a gap of .27 pts between them and the next best team. I think the recent score is like a quarter or third of the season.

I get that these things average out over a season so they probably won't keep up so the gaps probably shrink over the longer sample size but it's still really impressive.

If put into the context of the entire season (again, an imperfect way to use the ELO numbers but just for the sake of analysis) a .27 pts ELO gap is bigger than the gap separating the season score for the Lightning (#1 overall for the season) for the Pens (who are now up to #8 overall).

That's the gap in quality for how the Pens have been playing recently as compared to the next best team in the NHL.

sND5Vpm.jpg

Sidenote...ELO is also one of my favorite bands! And they're mathematicians! Awesome!

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Last update for the season.

Interesting to see that Tampa bay is ranked below New Jersey and so is Boston just below the Leafs.
These series are going to be awesome.

Reactions: SniperHF

willmma

Jan 5, 2017
Updated for October 19th. A bit surprising, Colorado and Dallas are tied for the lead.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad