Prospect Info: NHL 2013 Draft ...Avs won the draft lottery !!! Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

R S

Sep 18, 2006
Watched Game 2 tonight between Edmonton and Portland. Portland played a complete game, evening the series with a 3-0 win.

Seth Jones had a pretty solid game. Didn't join the rush or try to create as much offense tonight when compared to last night. But, he also managed the puck much better and didn't run around nearly as much in his own zone. Wasn't as physical as last night either, but his stick work was very good to make up for it.

The last two games definitely have shown off his entire skillset, his big shot, passing ability, skating skill, physical play, body positioning, hockey sense, decision making and stickwork. Sure, he's had some miscues but I think Avs brass will be feeling pretty good after watching the first two games of the WHL finals. I agree with SEPH above about Jones doing a bit of watching in his own zone. He could also be tougher in front of his own net. But, I think those are things that can be easily adjusted as he continues to face bigger competition and bigger stages.

Tommy Shelby

Feb 26, 2012
Hard to say. I think the WHL offers a ton of value at that spot. If we want pure skill, you target a guy like Nic Petan or Morgan Klimchuk. Curtis Lazar also has a small chance of falling that far, but it could happen, who knows. If you want a goalie, a guy like Zac Fucale MIGHT be around, while you can almost surely get either Eric Comrie or Tristan Jarry.

For, most of the value is on a defenceman at that spot. One of Madison Bowey, Josh Morrissey, Shea Theodore, Mirco Mueller, Dillon Heatherington are sure to be there and all are very solid prospects. I understand that people want us to stock our forward cupboards, but the value might be too tough to pass up on defensive prospects at 32nd overall.

Yup, I have a very strong feeling they will go with two Defensemen with their first two picks. This draft is pretty deep on D and that is our weakest spot prospect-wise, so I'm 100% OK with picking 2 D-men first.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm really not adept to watching prospects and knowing how they can "project" to be. Basically, as I've always stated, prospect scouting/watching is not my strong suit when it comes to hockey, so I rely solely on guys like you, RS, and others.

But you're basically saying that it's not cause for concern, that Jones should still easily be the guy we should be getting on Draft Day?

After a thoroughly discussion of the team going forward and what impacts Jones and MacKinnon will make. Jones is by far #1, but don't be surprised if we do draft him and he isn't a defensive beast right off the bat or sort of struggles (defensively).

Watched Game 2 tonight between Edmonton and Portland. Portland played a complete game, evening the series with a 3-0 win.
I was flipping back between this and Blues/Kings. It was great seeing how these teams in both games really hated each other.

I thought Petan and Bjorkstrand were the best two forwards for either team with Pouliot being the best defenseman in the game by a big margin.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I've watched about half of both Portland games and while Jones has been good and showed off a diverse skillset he hasn't really been dictating any aspect of the game the way he can. I don't feel super comfortable evaluating and projecting dmen at this age though so I won't comment too much.

I really, really want us to find a way to draft Lazar. Huge fan of what this kid brings to the table but unfortunately I doubt he falls to the 2nd round.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
Yup, I have a very strong feeling they will go with two Defensemen with their first two picks. This draft is pretty deep on D and that is our weakest spot prospect-wise, so I'm 100% OK with picking 2 D-men first.

I hope not to be honest with you.

Adding Jones on our Backend actually makes it quite strong. Jones, EJ, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens all with Top 3 potential.

We only have Hishon and Sgarbossa as forward prospects with a decent chance at becoming Top 6 guys.

I would rather see us take a forward with our 2nd pick then a Dman. We could use some high offensive talent in our pool.

Unless someone like Theodore is still there at #32 in which case, we take him and run far far away.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL

i said it earlier in this thread. if we can land Jones and Mueller as our first two picks it will make my year.
then we can go forward crazy for all i care.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I can't believe the post paid for Dater to travel to Portland and scout Jones, haha. I'm almost rooting for the Avs to pick Mac at this point.

Reactions: MaKarter

22FUTON9

Jun 30, 2010
Really wanted Drouin but if they pick Jones I'll still be happy. I wont be happy if they went 'off the board' and picked Barkov or something.

shadow1

Nov 29, 2008
Did we not trade our 2nd this year as part of the Varly trade?

Unless I'm mistaken, Colorado opted to give Washington the 2nd round pick that was acquired from Toronto last year, which the Capitals then traded to Dallas.

Nzap

lunaR Pad
Jul 19, 2011
Parma
Did we not trade our 2nd this year as part of the Varly trade?
From wiki
The Boston Bruins' second-round pick went to the Dallas Stars as the result of a trade on June 22, 2012 that sent Mike Ribeiro to Washington in exchange for Cody Eakin and this pick.

Washington previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on July 1, 2012 that sent Semyon Varlamov to Colorado in exchange for Colorado's first round pick, as well as this pick. Washington opted to take this pick on June 15, 2012.

Colorado previously acquired this pick as the result of a trade on June 24, 2011 that sent John-Michael Liles to Toronto in exchange for this pick.

Toronto previously acquired the pick as the result of a trade that sent Tomas Kaberle to the Bruins in exchange for Joe Colborne, a first-round pick in 2011, and this pick (being conditional at the time of the trade). The condition – Boston reaching the 2011 Stanley Cup Finals – was converted on May 27, 2011.

So Boston's pick was the one that the Caps chose to take instead of our 2nd this year (thank God)

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
I hope not to be honest with you.

Adding Jones on our Backend actually makes it quite strong. Jones, EJ, Barrie, Elliott, Siemens all with Top 3 potential.

We only have Hishon and Sgarbossa as forward prospects with a decent chance at becoming Top 6 guys.

I would rather see us take a forward with our 2nd pick then a Dman. We could use some high offensive talent in our pool.

Unless someone like Theodore is still there at #32 in which case, we take him and run far far away.

Not sure I agree with that assessment. Bourke has definite top 6 skill, he just needs to develop. Don't worry about his stats, he plays on a terrible team. He will look good when he gets to LE. Blandisi is another one to watch for that role, he blossomed when he went to the 67s. Finally showing his promise. Then you finally have Colin Smith who's only real big question mark is his small frame. Now none of those are certain NHL players, but they are all 3 top 6 prospects.

I would also argue that Vincour is a top 6 prospect, but one that is failing (hence the trade). He has to turn it around if he isn't going to be just a bottom 6 player.

Nihiliste

Feb 8, 2010
I forgot about the Ribiero trade. I guess that becomes Ribiero, Erat, and Latta for Varly? Strange moves on Washington's end.

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006

Seth Jones had a pretty solid game. Didn't join the rush or try to create as much offense tonight when compared to last night. But, he also managed the puck much better and didn't run around nearly as much in his own zone. Wasn't as physical as last night either, but his stick work was very good to make up for it.

The last two games definitely have shown off his entire skillset, his big shot, passing ability, skating skill, physical play, body positioning, hockey sense, decision making and stickwork. Sure, he's had some miscues but I think Avs brass will be feeling pretty good after watching the first two games of the WHL finals. I agree with SEPH above about Jones doing a bit of watching in his own zone. He could also be tougher in front of his own net. But, I think those are things that can be easily adjusted as he continues to face bigger competition and bigger stages.

Where can i watch this games? Is there a replay of game 2 online maybe?

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Really wanted Drouin but if they pick Jones I'll still be happy. I wont be happy if they went 'off the board' and picked Barkov or something.

if that happens you can be assured there will be mass firings.
no way they can sell Drouin or Barkov to the fan base. they can barely sell MacKinnon since Jones is the consensus #1 and fills a key need.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
if that happens you can be assured there will be mass firings.
no way they can sell Drouin or Barkov to the fan base. they can barely sell MacKinnon since Jones is the consensus #1 and fills a key need.

Agreed. We would almost for certain trade down if they wanted Barkov(Something I wouldn't have a problem with personally).

Not a chance they take anyone but Jones or Mackinnon 1st overall.

CalderKing21

Darth Calder
Jun 19, 2011
Birmingham, AL
Agreed. We would almost for certain trade down if they wanted Barkov(Something I wouldn't have a problem with personally).

Not a chance they take anyone but Jones or Mackinnon 1st overall.

pretty much. and I am person who likes Drouin over MacKinnon but you can't realistically take him over MacKinnion since he and MacKinnon have been basically even over the last few months and more casual fans know MacKinnon than Drouin.

similar to how most only wanted JT or Hedman in the 09 draft even when Duchene had come on hella strong over the last few months and had some scouts thinking he was potentially the #1 player in the draft.

not to mention the denver press playing up the Jones having ties to Denver angle.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
I've wanted Drouin over MacK since the lockout, but even I agree you can't draft him over MacK or Jones. I'd drop to 3rd or 4th and take Drouin or Barkov if we got a significant enough asset, the problem is I don't think Nashville or Tampa would move what we need to justify dropping that far down.

Maybe, just maybe there is something to be had with Nashville & Josi if we include Stastny in the trade offer with a huge salary retained. But aside from that, I'd prefer to draft Jones honestly.

1st + Staz (@4.4mil) for 4th + Josi is a net loss for us imo and I can't see them adding more if they'd even do that offer.

Pierce Hawthorne

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2012
Caverns of Draconis
I've wanted Drouin over MacK since the lockout, but even I agree you can't draft him over MacK or Jones. I'd drop to 3rd or 4th and take Drouin or Barkov if we got a significant enough asset, the problem is I don't think Nashville or Tampa would move what we need to justify dropping that far down.

Maybe, just maybe there is something to be had with Nashville & Josi if we include Stastny in the trade offer with a huge salary retained. But aside from that, I'd prefer to draft Jones honestly.

1st + Staz (@4.4mil) for 4th + Josi is a net loss for us imo and I can't see them adding more if they'd even do that offer.

Agreed, I wouldn't move 1st + Stas even at 6.6 for the 4th + Josi.

We give up the better pick and at least for now the better player IMO.

Now, if NSH were willing to put Josi on the table + there 1st for the 1st overall in some kind of deal. I would hope we get into some serious talks about that as Josi will be a very good Dman in 2 years(Not Seth Jones good, but good).

Josi + 4th for 1st + McGinn I would probably do although I would absolutely hate to see McGinn go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad