WCHA (Western Collegiate Hockey Association) - 2
German League - 2
Slovakian League - 2
QAAAJHL (Quebec AAA Junior Hockey League) - 1
KIJHL (Kootenay International Junior Hockey League) - 1
NAHL (North American Hockey League) - 1
Latvian League - 1

Now i have 3 main conclusions.
1. Relatively few players drafted from Europe.
2. CHL still is the main playground fpr potential draftees.
3. USA junior leagues had a great draft.

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
I posted this in another thread, but this is definitely a better place for it.

Some numbers for direct comparison to previous years on the drop in CHL players:

WHL this year: 24 picks, 11.3% (lowest ever)
WHL average since 90: 45 picks, 17.38%
WHL last year: 44, 15.1%

OHL this year: 29, 13.6%
OHL average since 90: 46.1, 17.5%
OHL last year: 42, 14.4%

QMJHL this year: 25, 11.7%
QMJHL average since 90: 28.5, 9.8%
QMJHL last year: 27, 9.3%

CHL this year: 78, 36.6%
CHL average since 90: 119.6, 44.2%
CHL last year: 113, 38.8%

There is clearly a sharp decline this year in the WHL and OHL, especially in the WHL who had its lowest percentage of selections since the inception of the draft. Interestingly, even with the increase in international picks, the QMJHL enjoyed a very strong year compared to previous years.

Last edited:

Greg7

Feb 5, 2004
International picks actually didn't increase as I thought, around 30% which is about normal for the past few years. As you pointed out, the slack left by the large drop in WHL picks appears to mostly have been picked up by tier 2 junior and high school selections. Certainly a big draft for the Americans.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Greg7 said:

Some numbers for direct comparison to previous years on the drop in CHL players:

There is clearly a sharp decline this year in the WHL and OHL, especially in the WHL who had its lowest percentage of selections since the inception of the draft. Interestingly, even with the increase in international picks, the QMJHL enjoyed a very strong year compared to previous years.

The Q certainly does seem to be the boom production market in the CHL, in particular the numbers of guys coming out of the Maritimes.

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
Is Justin Krueger (last pick overall) counted as a Canadian?

He was born in Canada, if I remember correctly, but he plays for Germany because of his parents (kind of reversed Dany Heatley) and played youth hockey in Switzerland.

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
Sanderson said:
Is Justin Krueger (last pick overall) counted as a Canadian?

He was born in Canada, if I remember correctly, but he plays for Germany because of his parents (kind of reversed Dany Heatley) and played youth hockey in Switzerland.

Hes not, as you said he was born in Canada but he is representing Germany. Here is the stats http://www.eurohockey.net/players/show_player.cgi?serial=69583

Simmilar situation is with 180th pick Leo Komarov, who was born in Estonia but moved to Finland and have played for Finland in WJC.

Greg7 said:
International picks actually didn't increase as I thought, around 30% which is about normal for the past few years. As you pointed out, the slack left by the large drop in WHL picks appears to mostly have been picked up by tier 2 junior and high school selections. Certainly a big draft for the Americans.

It seems like a lot of teams went the safe route and took the extra 2 or 3 years they'll get on the NCAA-bound kids, compared to the CHLers and Europeans. I think it might be the teams that were a bit more ambitious in their drafting that end up having the most success out of this draft.

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Greg7 said:

This was a down year for the CHL but many of those European picks will be playing in the CHL. There were a total of 15 CHLers drafted in the 1st round but that doesn't include Frolick who will be playing for Rimouski and Tlusty who will suit up for the Soo Greyhounds.

The CHL 89 class will be a little stronger while the 90 draft class is shaping up to be another boom year.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Maybe this is a better thread for my question....

Did the smaller % of dub picks have anything to do with them not enforcing the new NHL rules last year, thus meaving some doubt in scouts minds how some of the WHL players can adapt to the new NHL????
The WHL are adopting the NHL rules this year, except only 40% of games will have 2 refs.....

sketchykg

Nov 17, 2003
Doomsday Device said:
It seems like a lot of teams went the safe route and took the extra 2 or 3 years they'll get on the NCAA-bound kids, compared to the CHLers and Europeans. I think it might be the teams that were a bit more ambitious in their drafting that end up having the most success out of this draft.

I agree here. The Islanders went this route. With 13 picks they drafted 7 NCAA-bound players. Then 3 Swedes, 1 Finn and a Slovak. The lone CHL player was a Nolan-coached overager, Andrew MacDonald in the 6th round.

Bégin is the bestest*

Sakaarnis said:
Drafted by Countries:
Canada 83
Drafted by leagues:

QMJHL (Quebec Major Junior Hockey League) - 25
QAAAJHL (Quebec AAA Junior Hockey League) - 1

you mean 57 players from Canada and 26 from Québec. :D

Sakaarnis

Dec 19, 2004
Bay of smokes
XploD said:
It's funny how they think there's only one league in the European countries.

IF youre reffering to the fact that i wrote Swedish league, its not like i think theres only one league in Sweden i just merged SEL and SJL so it doesnt get too fragmented. Lets just say, player was drafted in league based in Sweden, works for you now?

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Bégin is the bestest said:
I think we'd be quite happy for Quebec to take their share of the debt and bilinguilism and leave....

Inertiatic

Mar 2, 2002
Montreal, Canada
sbtatter said:
I think we'd be quite happy for Quebec to take their share of the debt and bilinguilism and leave....

Thanks for your arrogance. Much appreciated. Just leave the guy alone, he has strong political views which I don't agree with, but why bait a political discussion here?

Besides, not all Quebecers (i.e. myself) want to seperate. Keep it on topic.

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
Inertiatic said:
Thanks for your arrogance. Much appreciated. Just leave the guy alone, he has strong political views which I don't agree with, but why bait a political discussion here?

Besides, not all Quebecers (i.e. myself) want to seperate. Keep it on topic.
No arrogance here, just not going to be held ransom by guys like that.

Back on topic, wasn't it amazing how many guys from Minnesota were taken this year?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Bégin is the bestest said:

:)

Lets just for the sake of me being bored :) look at out of those 25 QMJHL players...how many were from Quebec:

Rd 1: Derick Brassard - QC
Rd 1: James Sheppard - NS
Rd 1: Jonathan Bernier - QC
Rd 1: Claude Giroux - ONT
Rd 1: Ivan Vishnevsky - RUS
Rd 2: Francois Bouchard - QC
Rd 2: Bryce Swan - NS
Rd 2: Joey Ryan - USA
Rd 2: Mathieu Carle - QC
Rd 3: Brad Marchand - NS
Rd 3: Ryan Hillier - NS
Rd 4: Felix Schutz - GER
Rd 4: Hugo Carpentier - QC
Rd 4: PL Lessard - QC
Rd 5: Maxime Lacroix - QC
Rd 5: Andrew Bodnarchuk - NS
Rd 5: Maxime Frechette - QC
Rd 5: Olivier Magnon - QC
Rd 5: Stefan Chaput - QC
Rd 6: Andrew MacDonald - NS
Rd 6: Michael Dupont - QC
Rd 6: Mathieu Perreault - QC
Rd 7: Matt Marquardt - ONT
Rd 7: Benjamin Breault - QC
Rd 7: Kyle Hennegan - QC

QC - 14
NS - 6
ONT - 2
USA - 1
GER - 1
RUS - 1

14 out of 25...only 2/3

sbtatter

Feb 27, 2005
They were saying on TSN last night that they see a real increase in the number of top end Maritime players on the way, what's responsible for the increase, has minor hockey down there stepped it up?

LaLaLaprise

lalalaprise -twitter
Feb 28, 2002
Halifax, Nova Scotia
sbtatter said:
They were saying on TSN last night that they see a real increase in the number of top end Maritime players on the way, what's responsible for the increase, has minor hockey down there stepped it up?

The Q expanded to Halifax in 1994...when these 88 born players were 6...it gave them something to shoot for in their careers to be able to play in the Q.

The QMJHL now is approximatley 30% Maritimers, and even hardcore Quebec based teams have Maritimers on their rosters.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad