Hockey Ultimate Team: NHL 17 HUT Thread III

Joel Ward

Sep 24, 2012
Toronto
I got into NHL 17 late (in May) when it was available for $13. Anyone want to donate me some HUT players, so I can ice a decent squad?

My top players are Barkov, Eichel, Draisaitl and Faulk, but no specialty cards and my best goalie is Niemi.

PS4

Add me on PSN: SilentInsomiac and Ill throw some cards your way when we are both online next.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
I do. Bring back careers, salary cap, and permanent boosts. It added much more strategy to team building

Jan 9, 2011
Victoria, BC
I do. Bring back careers, salary cap, and permanent boosts. It added much more strategy to team building

ahhh the good old days, when hut ws 10x cheaper and i actually enjoyed playing the game mode :laugh:

Too bad they'll never bring it back. Wish they could incorporate both, but just seperate. Kind of like Draft Champions

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
I lost interest in HUT far earlier this year than ever before.

I'm a "dangle the carrot" kind of guy, so the over saturation of 97-99 overall cards on the market really killed it for me this year. I had basically nothing left to play for by May. There was no way to improve my team after that point and I stopped playing lol.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
My last 3 games:
1: My players can't do ANYTHING. My goalie is basically sitting with his thumbs up his ass. I get spanked.
2: I am DOMINATING possession and shots. Leading 2-0. Get disconnected from EA servers for no reason. No internet problems or anything
3: My players can't do anything and my goalies thumbs are back up his ass

Im ****ing done.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I liked 15 Hut Version... even 16. This year synergy and too many 92+ Players killed it. That and all those stupid ****ing idiots that can't Play and only enter the Zone and slapshot all game Long.
EA should have patched this down during the year for sure.

Malinator

Feb 13, 2012
I've been playing. Mlb 17. I like diamond dynasty. There are good players you can get from missions. Both off and online. MoSt of the higher rated players are only good at some things.

Chaels Arms

Formerly Lias Andersson
Aug 26, 2010
New York City
I started HUT really late, like a month ago, after playing versus and EASHL since release. I must have been getting HUT packs for some of that stuff because when I started HUT I had like 30 packs to open. I had a decent team pretty quickly with 87's across the roster and eventually lucked into a 92 Joe Sakic card. I'm in D2 now and it's just ridiculous. Every team has Bure, Bourque, Lidstrom, Malkin, Modano, Lindros, etc.

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
I liked 15 Hut Version... even 16. This year synergy and too many 92+ Players killed it. That and all those stupid ****ing idiots that can't Play and only enter the Zone and slapshot all game Long.
EA should have patched this down during the year for sure.

Every year there's a hole in the goaltending that is a play that has a higher scoring percentage of the time you will score on. Last year it was the rush down the wing and high blocker side. This year it was definitely the far out slap shot or the quick wrist shot above the slot. So on and so forth there will be a scoring play people will figure out again next year that will drive everyone crazy and ea won't fix it.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
Every year there's a hole in the goaltending that is a play that has a higher scoring percentage of the time you will score on. Last year it was the rush down the wing and high blocker side. This year it was definitely the far out slap shot or the quick wrist shot above the slot. So on and so forth there will be a scoring play people will figure out again next year that will drive everyone crazy and ea won't fix it.

the big difference:

I have seen Goals scored like last year in real life... you almost never see a Player entering the Zone and slap shot his way to a Goal.

the other big difference - you could defend the 16 Version, but you can't defend the 17 Version of the Problem ALL GAME LONG

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I feel like the cheese goals have been cut down a bit. You'll always have the ones where you go "HOW THE **** DID THAT GO IN?! WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU DOING GOALIE?!"

And it will never stop being frustrating beyond belief. But if your goalie doesn't give up crap goals, you probably won't score any either.

I get it, but it doesn't make me any less mad when it happens lol

Smartguy

May 3, 2010
Edmonton
the big difference:

I have seen Goals scored like last year in real life... you almost never see a Player entering the Zone and slap shot his way to a Goal.

the other big difference - you could defend the 16 Version, but you can't defend the 17 Version of the Problem ALL GAME LONG

The weirdest thing I notice when comparing to real life goals is the five hole, I would say there's a large majority of goals in the NHL that are scored there whether it's a quick shot or a deke, or even a rebound through the five hole. I honestly think I've scored maybe 2 goals there ever. It is IMPOSSIBLE to score with a hard shot along the ice there and that's a common goal in the NHL I think. I'm not counting tip-in five hole because that is common in the game

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
The weirdest thing I notice when comparing to real life goals is the five hole, I would say there's a large majority of goals in the NHL that are scored there whether it's a quick shot or a deke, or even a rebound through the five hole. I honestly think I've scored maybe 2 goals there ever. It is IMPOSSIBLE to score with a hard shot along the ice there and that's a common goal in the NHL I think. I'm not counting tip-in five hole because that is common in the game

I score five-hole quite a bit, mostly from around the circles.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
So, I am okay with losing. I am not okay with losing when the other player is an absolute dick with how they play.

Like skating the puck back behind their goal every chance they get until you chase them out.
And I am not the kind of player that just sits back on defense waiting for something to happen. I would rather put one of my guys out of potion to chase the puck carrier in order to keep the flow of play going. So it was really frustrating.

RangerFan10

I do miss the old HUT where it took far more time to build a decent squad. It was fun because it's not as if you were fielding a team of scrubs vs. really good teams, everyone was in the same boat. You found hidden gems that had bad ratings and ran with it.

Biggest thing missing is the training cards. Hate that they're not a thing anymore.

I like that they integrated sets like Madden HUT does more than ever...but they're still really hard to put together. Madden throws you a few bones and makes it possible to at least put together a few teams of your choosing even if you aren't one to buy packs. I find this keeps me more interested too, and makes a lot more people probably likely.

At the end of the day it's a cool mode ruined by the money factor. Whatever they think is going to yield the most packs purchased, is what they're going to do.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I do miss the old HUT where it took far more time to build a decent squad. It was fun because it's not as if you were fielding a team of scrubs vs. really good teams, everyone was in the same boat. You found hidden gems that had bad ratings and ran with it.

Biggest thing missing is the training cards. Hate that they're not a thing anymore.

I like that they integrated sets like Madden HUT does more than ever...but they're still really hard to put together. Madden throws you a few bones and makes it possible to at least put together a few teams of your choosing even if you aren't one to buy packs. I find this keeps me more interested too, and makes a lot more people probably likely.

At the end of the day it's a cool mode ruined by the money factor. Whatever they think is going to yield the most packs purchased, is what they're going to do.

I had Craig Cunningham (79 OVR) as my top line LW all season in 15 and he was better than every other player on my team :laugh:
I miss old HUT too. I don't like sets, I miss the collections. At least you got to keep your cards.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
I miss the old HUT too. I had all my buddies who at the time were playing in the Q boosted with a bunch of +5ALL's on my team which I thought was pretty cool.

Gintonicplz

Jul 23, 2017
Czech republic
Hey everybody! Just noticed that this huge hockey forum includes part about NHL HUT aswell! Awesome. I used to play a lot of online ranked games in NHL 10, 11 and 12. After long break I decided to buy PS4 with NHL17 this June and I started to play HUT for the first time. As I realized, June was pretty late to jump in especially when I didnt know even the basics of HUT system, economy etc..I managed to get into DIV 3 with bunch of gold 87's - Gustav Nyquist is a god!
Anyways, grind to DIV2 and higher has been very frustrating for me so far. It is very hard to win any face offs against those 90+ guys and so I wanted to ask more experienced players and users about some general tips regarding building a competetive team and improving in NHL HUT in general.

My current team looks pretty much like this:
https://hutdb.net/17/builder/841109

Any oppinions/advices/criticism would be HUGELY appreciated!! P.S.: One change regarding my current lineup - Third pairing LD is Benoit Pouliot from Free Agency Set - with synergy 1 DD, 2 CG and 2 SF so Shoot First synergy is active.

Stlblues98

Aug 14, 2015
I just started Hut last week and was wondering what are the best current packs to buy if I want a rare player with multiple synergys instead of just the one common synergy per player

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00