NHL 16 Be a Pro thread!

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
Yeah. You can scroll through each one individually and it will tell you your target grade and what to do to help you get there (which is sometimes b.s.). All the points in the world won't make a difference if you aren't getting your defense and team play to their target levels.

I'm only 17 games into my chl season and I've been told that I should go somewhere in the first round. I've only missed my targets twice. I used to struggle with team play, but then I started doing three things that get me to a B pretty much every game: 1- body checks 2-deflections in front of the net 3-prompt line changes Don't stay out so long that your endurance drops by 10.

Other little things help throughout the game, but I find that if I do these 3 things consistently my team play goes up regardless of whether I do other things (so long as I don't take too many stupid penalties.)

edit: And I haven't simmed at all.

My Overall is an A my Offence is an A+ my Defense is a C- and my team play is an A. The only one not on is Defense and its only requiring I get a C+ so the fact that is keeping me out of the draft completely is HORSE ****.

Merchaholic

Jan 12, 2011
Yes, I don't mind that
But when the coaches and agents want you to get 1000-2000 experience per Game, through an entire season, and simming can easily net you 0 experience for whatever reason, it just seems really off

What seems off about them actually wanting you to play the game in order to get exp?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
What seems off about them actually wanting you to play the game in order to get exp?

If you play 3 games a night it will take you over a year to play 10 seasons in the nhl. Thats ****ing insanity to expect someone to make that kind of commitment. Get off your high horse.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
I gave up on BAP when i played the first 20 games of my 18 year old junior season, got board of that so i simmed the season ended up with 80+ points and went undrafted. Now it wants me to play another season in the WHL.....

I liked it better where you started your junior season with say 10 games left and playoffs. Maybe I missed that option?

I'm having a great time playing goalie in the EASHL though. Looking for a west coast team if anyone needs a guy.

It's the memorial cup playoffs option. You play about 5 games depending if your team makes it out of the round robin/makes it passed the semi-finals

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
If you play 3 games a night it will take you over a year to play 10 seasons in the nhl. Thats ****ing insanity to expect someone to make that kind of commitment. Get off your high horse.

You can still have 10 year career if you sim. Nothing is stopping you. You can still play in the NHL even though you're low overall. I see nothing wrong with committed players being rewarded for being patient and playing the games. Why are people starting in juniors if they don't want to play there? Start in the draft or go straight to the NHL. Simming wont hurt your draft position after you're drafted.

King Weber

Apr 9, 2015
Started at the draft as a goalie.

Went 3-0 in the Memorial Cup before losing to Rimouski in OT. Ended up getting drafted in the 5th round (126th overall I think) to St Louis Blues. Still had Franchise potential too.

First pre-season went to ****, so I decided to just simulate from now on. Ended up playing in the AHL for the whole season, while Blues went on to win the cup, mostly due to Elliott's Conn Smythe run. Tarasenko won the Lady Byng.

Next pre-season went a bit better and so I ended up playing like 10 games in the NHL, winning 2. Got called up before playoffs and ended up playing in a few games. Blues won the cup second year in a row.

Third pre-season went good, so I shared the backup duties with Allen. Went back and forth between AHL and NHL pretty much the whole season. Played backup for Allen in the playoffs but got sent down during the 2nd round series against the Blackhawks. Blues ended up getting eliminated eventually as the Capitals won the cup.

My ELC ran out, and while Blues did offer me a 1-year deal, I wasn't interested because of them not being able to decide where they want me to play at, so I went to Arizona on a 1-year deal instead where I am now their starting goalie.

dropdeadjoey

Oct 23, 2014
Ontario
maybe thats more for me then!!! thanks, might try it again.

It's a good option but you have to be careful. I recently moved down to Pro difficulty because I got tired of getting my ass handed to me by the AI, and ended up scoring 22 Pts (12G, 10A) in 4 Games (We won round robin play). I ended up being selected 1st overall by the Edmonton Oilers and now have zero desire to continue playing my Be A Pro :handclap:

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Question: How the eff do you grow your aggressiveness? :laugh: Any one got it over 65?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
I am not at all a fan of the new BaP progression system

It sounds like a great idea, but in execution it makes no sense

Let's say I wanna be a fighter, I need to get in fights to get better, right?

Wrong, I need to WIN fights to improve, or my fighting skill actually DECREASES

The same logic applies to all stats, and it makes no sense

If I practice at something, I should get better, not worse

It rewards players who already have a high rating at whatever skills they are using over players who need improvement

Who needs the XP more, a Lv 60 fighter who can't beat up Sam Bennett, or a Lv 95 fighter who can take down Chara like he's nothing?

Then why is the better player rewarded and the lesser player punished?

It makes no sense

I like the idea in concept, but not in execution. On the 360 you could up your physical XP with hitting everything that move but use it to up your speed?

I get the "practice" setting per week in helping get some XP, but I think for other areas maybe one of the things EA coule implement for 17 or 18 is that between gmes you can actually control your practice in certain aspects. For instance if you selected an off-day to go into practice mode and work on your faceoffs, wrist shots, boardplay, etc. it would go towards your weekly practice XP in whatever field. Ditto with staged figting practice, etc. (weightlifting would be kinda hard), defensive positioning, etc. In other words, instead of a completely offline "weekly" practice regimen you can take an active role in your practice.

At least that way you can still tweak your character build and bee up slots where you're lacking.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Some attributes max out quick. As a center playmaker I already have 99 for faceoffs and 95 for passing. Probably gonna have 99 for passing by the end of my rookie season. I hope it's not gonna affect my willing to pass knowing I can't gain any xp of it :D

KingTux

On espère pour Lafrenière
Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Ok So I am a 6'3 220 lb pwf playing for Hull (Or Gatineau if you want). So far so good, I have 48 goals and 43 assists in 45 games. I have 450 hits.

My agent told me I will be drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

W.T.F

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Ok So I am a 6'3 220 lb pwf playing for Hull (Or Gatineau if you want). So far so good, I have 48 goals and 43 assists in 45 games. I have 450 hits.

My agent told me I will be drafted in the 5th or 6th round.

W.T.F

How many times it has to be said here:

STATS DON'T MATTER. ONLY IF YOU PLAY THE GAMES, GAIN EXPERIENCE AND REACH YOUR EVALUATION PERIOD GOALS YOU WILL BE DRAFTED HIGH

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
in Be a Pro mode, how do you select your workouts? It is greyed out for me and everything says 0 hours left.. I have googled but can't find anything .. also nothing in the manual.

Nose Face Killah

Dracarys
Dec 2, 2012
MA
Ryu Yoshi has quickly become one of the stars in the NHL. He is first in the assists category with 31 and and 3rd in the NHL in points with 37 in 24 games. He is a mainstay on the top line and powerplay with Eberle and Hall. Only time will tell if he can keep up this play.

EDIT: With a 5 point night (all assists) in an 8-2 win over the Maple Leafs, Yoshi now leads the NHL with 42 points in 26 games (Seguin is right behind him with 41.) Yoshi also leads the NHL in assists still with 36. Seguin and Yoshi face off in the Oilers next game. The Oilers lost their last game to Boston 2-1 after the win over the Leafs. Dallas game is next.

Last edited:

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
in Be a Pro mode, how do you select your workouts? It is greyed out for me and everything says 0 hours left.. I have googled but can't find anything .. also nothing in the manual.

You go to the next week's training by simming there. If you're simming and it tells you to choose your off-ice training but it's still grey and can't be selected, then it's a glitch. Every week you can choose different amount of off-ice training depending how many games you've got. One option could be that you've accidentally put it to "auto assign workouts" or w/e it is and it's auto assigning the workouts for you. Probably can change that from settings.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
I just had a conversation with Mike Babcock after a game where I put up 2+1. You know, just wanted get some feedback and to know what did he think of my game.

Me: "So what did you think I did right there?"
Babcock: "Winning faceoffs."
Me: "Ok thanks I've been really working on those. Anything else?"
Babcock: "Superior faceoff talent."
Me: "Wow jeez thank you. Is there any other part of my game you would like to comment?"
Babcock: "Luck of the draw."
Me: "Good talk, coach!"

KingTux

Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
How many times it has to be said here:

STATS DON'T MATTER. ONLY IF YOU PLAY THE GAMES, GAIN EXPERIENCE AND REACH YOUR EVALUATION PERIOD GOALS YOU WILL BE DRAFTED HIGH
Jesus, ever heard of chill pills?
And yea I do those useless evaluations as well, always reach the expectations.

It still doesnt make jack sence

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Jesus, ever heard of chill pills?
And yea I do those useless evaluations as well, always reach the expectations.

It still doesnt make jack sence

I'm cool! :laugh:

How does it not make sense?

KingTux

Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
I'm cool! :laugh:

How does it not make sense?

Fair enough !

It doesnt make sence that the combination of my pts/goals/assists/hit/size and evaluation results makes me a 5th-6th rounder. My evaluation are always good, and I only simulate 1 game per maybe 4 or 5 games played.

I went from 59 ov to 65 in 45ish game

Beezeral

Mar 1, 2010
any way to get on the team you want via the draft mode? or do you pretty much have to select the team you want to be on at the beginning in order to have a chance of that?

SlapshotTheMovie

Jan 18, 2013
The idea that you need to play every game ruins the mode.

If I play 3 games a night every night for a year, I will have a 10 year career by the time the next game comes out. So i can't even finish a career or play other modes. THAT'S INSANITY.

VLU5

Aug 21, 2014
Fair enough !

It doesnt make sence that the combination of my pts/goals/assists/hit/size and evaluation results makes me a 5th-6th rounder. My evaluation are always good, and I only simulate 1 game per maybe 4 or 5 games played.

I went from 59 ov to 65 in 45ish game

Ok if you really only sim basically 1 game per evaluation period you're draft ranking is dumb. I had no idea it was that strict. I started playing all the games after doing some simulation at the beginning of the season and was told that I won't be drafted. You'll probably be drafted higher than that if you win the championship and the memorial cup but still. Meh. I get that EA wants you to play the games to be drafted high but you're actually playing a lot of games. Most of the people are playing like 5 games and simming the rest and then complaining for going undrafted.

What I found stupid with coaches requirements is that in the OHL I was basically asked to score 3-4 point per game and I thought that's cool. 1 OA pick should produce in the juniors. After starting my NHL career it turned out that I still need to score 3-4 points to get A for offense. 3 probably won't even cut it. If I was to fill my coaches requirements I'd probably need have 200 point season.

SORRY FOR USING CAPS LOCK EARLIER :D

KingTux

Aug 9, 2013
hu2l
Ok if you really only sim basically 1 game per evaluation period you're draft ranking is dumb. I had no idea it was that strict. I started playing all the games after doing some simulation at the beginning of the season and was told that I won't be drafted. You'll probably be drafted higher than that if you win the championship and the memorial cup but still. Meh. I get that EA wants you to play the games to be drafted high but you're actually playing a lot of games. Most of the people are playing like 5 games and simming the rest and then complaining for going undrafted.

What I found stupid with coaches requirements is that in the OHL I was basically asked to score 3-4 point per game and I thought that's cool. 1 OA pick should produce in the juniors. After starting my NHL career it turned out that I still need to score 3-4 points to get A for offense. 3 probably won't even cut it. If I was to fill my coaches requirements I'd probably need have 200 point season.

SORRY FOR USING CAPS LOCK EARLIER :D

Yea the coach requirements are dumb. I mean its not THAT, but it gets annoying at some point. I do a lot offensive turnover since I tend to use my mates a lot which decrease my defensive ability (??). I'm having a Lindros look-a-like draft year, but yet I get to be a 5th rounder lololol.

Its not that much of a big deal since it really doesn't change much on how you play the game and etc, but its still annoying.

No problem mate !

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad