OT: NFL/PATRIOTS 2016 Off-Season

Status
Not open for further replies.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
Too many teams have gotten burned in the ex-Patriot backup QB sweepstakes the last few years. I don't see anyone giving up a first rounder any time soon for another of their backups.

That was with none of them having proven much if anything at the Pro level. If Jimmy lights it up, you'll see someone try to throw a first at us for him.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Too many teams have gotten burned in the ex-Patriot backup QB sweepstakes the last few years. I don't see anyone giving up a first rounder any time soon for another of their backups.

If he plays well in actual NFL games they sure will.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If he plays well in actual NFL games they sure will.

It would have to be a hell of a 4 games. Even then, a first rounder? I just don't see it. The teams needing a QB "usually" are picking in the top 5-10. I could see maybe a 2nd rounder from one of those bottom feeders, but not a first. Then again, the Texans might be looking again this time next year after they realize Brock isn't all that.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
If Jimmy G does well in those 4 games, I can absolutely see some GM giving the Pats a 1st rounder for him.

Jimmy played in College. Cassel IIRC hardly played in College.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
If Jimmy G does well in those 4 games, I can absolutely see some GM giving the Pats a 1st rounder for him.

He last played regularly in High School and then rode the bench behind Palmer and then Leinart. He attempted 33 passes during his collegiate career.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
He last played regularly in High School and then rode the bench behind Palmer and then Leinart. He attempted 33 passes during his collegiate career.

And the Pats got the 34th pick and KC signed him to a nice contract.

He obviously has to play well, but I don't think it would be out of the question for a team in need of a QB to give up a 1st for him.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012

College experience vs a full year of NFL tape.

Regardless, let's look at the last 10 years or so. How many backups with less than a half season of starting experience have been traded for a 1st rounder? It just doesn't happen.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston

Regardless, let's look at the last 10 years or so. How many backups with less than a half season of starting experience have been traded for a 1st rounder? It just doesn't happen.

GM's in this league do things all the time that don't make sense. I don't see potentially getting a #1 for him that outrageous.

A GM could have loved this kid but didn't draft him, and if he does well might do it, who knows.

The Rams just gave up a ton just for right to draft a QB #1.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
And the Pats got the 34th pick and KC signed him to a nice contract.

He obviously has to play well, but I don't think it would be out of the question for a team in need of a QB to give up a 1st for him.
We also gave them Vrabel as well, but I agree with you. I think we can get a 1st providing Jimmy G plays very well.

Fair point, but QB is such a valuable position that teams are willing to make dumbass deals for them, even when unproven. Look at what the Eagles gave up for Wentz(who is 1 year younger than Garapollo).

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
GM's in this league do things all the time that don't make sense. I don't see potentially getting a #1 for him that outrageous.

A GM could have loved this kid but didn't draft him, and if he does well might do it, who knows.

The Rams just gave up a ton just for right to draft a QB #1.

To be clear, I didn't say it was "outrageous". Just that I don't see it happening. It's an opinion. One based on recent history and other comps.

He was literally drafted at the end of the 2nd round in a weak QB draft, so GMs couldn't have loved him THAT much.

The rights to draft the #1 QB is completely different from what one gives up for a seasoned backup with limited NFL film. Apples and oranges.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
To be clear, I didn't say it was "outrageous". Just that I don't see it happening. It's an opinion. One based on recent history and other comps.

He was literally drafted at the end of the 2nd round in a weak QB draft, so GMs couldn't have loved him THAT much.

The rights to draft the #1 QB is completely different from what one gives up for a seasoned backup with limited NFL film. Apples and oranges.

I don't know, you're giving up picks for a player. Seems fairly similar.

I don't think draft position matters once you become an NFL'er. Some might value him based on the fact he's been behind a HOF'er.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Fair point, but QB is such a valuable position that teams are willing to make dumbass deals for them, even when unproven. Look at what the Eagles gave up for Wentz(who is 1 year younger than Garapollo).

Again, apples and oranges. Drafting the #1 guy vs trading for a backup are different situations entirely.

And I get the "dumbass deals for QBs" argument. Hell, I get it more than most, given the Osweiler situation that unfolded recently. People have no trouble throwing crazy money at young backups with potential. They don't seem to be willing to trade first rounders for them though. I can't think of any recent examples.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
I don't think draft position matters once you become an NFL'er. Some might value him based on the fact he's been behind a HOF'er.

Aside from contract figures, I agree. I only brought it up to respond to the "GM could have loved him" at the draft line.

Therick67

Apr 6, 2009
South of Boston
Aside from contract figures, I agree. I only brought it up to respond to the "GM could have loved him" at the draft line.

You never know. I'm blanking on the guy's name, but he wanted the patriots to take Brady long before the 6th round. Guys change organizations all the time and then go get guys they liked coming out of college.

Of course this is all dependent on jimmy playing well and not crapping himself.

This is a quarterback league and first rounders bust all the time.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
Arian Foster sighting at Logan

edit: rapoport says he is in town, just not to visit the Pats

Last edited:

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
Given how the Pats are looking at RB, I'd like to see them sign him. He's not washed up, he can still play, but he can't play a full season. Maybe if you limit his carries you can keep him healthier, Foster and Lewis would be a good combo. I think Blount is on his way out, Lewis isn't a feature back, nor is White.

Burt Reynolds

Feb 21, 2010
Mansfield, MA
Given how the Pats are looking at RB, I'd like to see them sign him. He's not washed up, he can still play, but he can't play a full season. Maybe if you limit his carries you can keep him healthier, Foster and Lewis would be a good combo. I think Blount is on his way out, Lewis isn't a feature back, nor is White.

I'd prefer a Lewis/Foster timeshare to a Blount/Lewis one that's for sure. As for right now though, don't we have like 7 or 8 RBs on the roster?

Sturm

Jun 25, 2015
Virginia
LeGarrette Blount
James White
James Develin
Donald Brown
Dion Lewis
Brandon Bolden
Tyler Gaffney
Joey Iosefa

If they stand pact, Blount/Lewis, mix in James White. Develin is a full back, Bolden is on Special Teams, and I don't see the rest making it

Ten Thousand Hours

Aug 17, 2010
Boston
LeGarrette Blount
James White
James Develin
Donald Brown
Dion Lewis
Brandon Bolden
Tyler Gaffney
Joey Iosefa

If they stand pact, Blount/Lewis, mix in James White. Develin is a full back, Bolden is on Special Teams, and I don't see the rest making it

+DJ Foster competing with White.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
I don't think Blount is a lock coming off of a hip problem. I think they genuinely like Donald Brown...he played his college ball in the ****** weather of the NE and he is a good pass blocker. I think they value that a lot and when talking about 5-10 carries a game I don't think there is a huge drop off from Blount.

CDJ

Nov 20, 2006
Hell baby
He runs the ball enough when he has the personnel, I have no problem with his play calling. The carries are typically spread out too and I imagine Lewis will be on the field the most

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad