NFL 2024

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
I don't really get it to be honest. I get Diggs is aging, but man he has an easy contract to get out of if his play drops off. Who is Allen going to throw to now with their top 2 receivers gone from last year?

Good for Houston though. Nice veteran receiver to go with some of their younger established receivers.

On a side note a 2nd is what the Steelers got for shit head Claypool that has done a great job at ruining his NFL career.

Faelko

Aug 11, 2002
I don't really get it to be honest. I get Diggs is aging, but man he has an easy contract to get out of if his play drops off. Who is Allen going to throw to now with their top 2 receivers gone from last year?

Good for Houston though. Nice veteran receiver to go with some of their younger established receivers.

On a side note a 2nd is what the Steelers got for shit head Claypool that has done a great job at ruining his NFL career.
Yeah, teams see Claypool and think they can “fix” him. All the tools but no toolbox.

Reactions: bellagiobob

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Yeah, teams see Claypool and think they can “fix” him. All the tools but no toolbox.
Maybe a year with the Roughriders is just what the guy needs :laugh::laugh:

Honestly, Tomlin and Pittsburgh have done real well with "no toolbox" guys over the years. If Pit is trading a guy like that you probably shouldn't trade for him.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

And the Bills are eating 30M in dead cap space. Nice add for the Texans, who are poised to a must watch offensive circus next year.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

I get it. Pretty clear the Bills just wanted him gone which means he was probably a massive distraction in the locker room.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Lonnnng video. But always interesting to see ex-QB Chris Simms comprehensive quarterback draft ranking and analysis. Such a challenging position to project with technical and physical skills but also mental - processing, grit and resiliency, aptitude and leadership. Have to be mindful of program inflate imo ... looking at you Alabama ... which often overvalues QBs who have immense, deep elite skill surrounding them.

Cheat notes if the video is too long and detailed: NFL draft QBs: Chris Simms ranks Nix and Penix above McCarthy and Maye - Sports Illustrated Minnesota Vikings News, Analysis and More

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Lonnnng video. But always interesting to see ex-QB Chris Simms comprehensive quarterback draft ranking and analysis. Such a challenging position to project with technical and physical skills but also mental - processing, grit and resiliency, aptitude and leadership. Have to be mindful of program inflate imo ... looking at you Alabama ... which often overvalues QBs who have immense, deep elite skill surrounding them.

Cheat notes if the video is too long and detailed: NFL draft QBs: Chris Simms ranks Nix and Penix above McCarthy and Maye - Sports Illustrated Minnesota Vikings News, Analysis and More

I'll have to watch it later. Always intrigued to hear more on QB's as it such a damn important position.

Still think the drafting team itself and how they deal with the QB is becoming a larger issue than the players themselves. Of course a strong mental player can fight through this type of stuff, but even then sometimes shit just gets to a guy and he faulters.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I'll have to watch it later. Always intrigued to hear more on QB's as it such a damn important position.

Still think the drafting team itself and how they deal with the QB is becoming a larger issue than the players themselves. Of course a strong mental player can fight through this type of stuff, but even then sometimes shit just gets to a guy and he faulters.
It's both for sure. But I think it's hard to crack the mental makeup and aspect of quarterback prospects and ability to adapt to the intense pressures placed on them to increasingly show themselves as pro ready to start and lead franchises. But agree with you that many markets, notably New York Jets just go through high pedigree QB's like shit through a goose. There's an inherent flaw in all facets of the organization including talent identification but development and building up the skills and mentality to endure the pressures of this position within the glare of New York media and ravenous fanbase. Conversely, nice to see a guy like Love in Green Bay get some apprenticeship time and patience to move into the role following a legend who also followed a similar path in replacing a legend. Damn tough position to evaluate past the obvious physical tools and techniques.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
It's both for sure. But I think it's hard to crack the mental makeup and aspect of quarterback prospects and ability to adapt to the intense pressures placed on them to increasingly show themselves as pro ready to start and lead franchises. But agree with you that many markets, notably New York Jets just go through high pedigree QB's like shit through a goose. There's an inherent flaw in all facets of the organization including talent identification but development and building up the skills and mentality to endure the pressures of this position within the glare of New York media and ravenous fanbase. Conversely, nice to see a guy like Love in Green Bay get some apprenticeship time and patience to move into the role following a legend who also followed a similar path in replacing a legend. Damn tough position to evaluate past the obvious physical tools and techniques.
I honestly just look at Mayfield. Goes from 1st overall, to complete bust, to Pro Bowler with 50mil guaranteed.

Now you have guys like Pickett, Fields, Jones, Lance etc.. all in similar boats. Have no idea what the mental makeup of those guys really was when the broke into the league, but all kind of guys just thrown to the wolves to figure shit out.

Not to say that they all would've ended up like Love as you mention, but at least you as a GM aren't looking stupid trading your 1st rounder from 2-3 years ago for pennies on the dollar.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
I honestly just look at Mayfield. Goes from 1st overall, to complete bust, to Pro Bowler with 50mil guaranteed.

Now you have guys like Pickett, Fields, Jones, Lance etc.. all in similar boats. Have no idea what the mental makeup of those guys really was when the broke into the league, but all kind of guys just thrown to the wolves to figure shit out.

Not to say that they all would've ended up like Love as you mention, but at least you as a GM aren't looking stupid trading your 1st rounder from 2-3 years ago for pennies on the dollar.
Regarding Mayfield, I look at a shitty organization that threw out a guy that took them to a deep playoff run while hurt and then tossed him aside to chase a great athlete with dubious character. He landed in brutal Carolina where he wasn't good. Played ok in LA Rams with mop up work. Got a blank sheet in Tampa and grinded his way back to a solid #1 QB with the opportunity.

NFL teams are too reactive with QB decisions. Some are right but others wrong. Too much money now in the game and contract structure and associated guaranteed money that has sped up the game starts earlier and fish or cut bait decision driven by the money commitment. Learning the game for a season or two behind a veteran was a solid development model that is now more a luxury than a practise.

Fully agree. Giving Fields away for pennies is mind numbing.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Regarding Mayfield, I look at a shitty organization that threw out a guy that took them to a deep playoff run while hurt and then tossed him aside to chase a great athlete with dubious character. He landed in brutal Carolina where he wasn't good. Played ok in LA Rams with mop up work. Got a blank sheet in Tampa and grinded his way back to a solid #1 QB with the opportunity.

NFL teams are too reactive with QB decisions. Some are right but others wrong. Too much money now in the game and contract structure and associated guaranteed money that has sped up the game starts earlier and fish or cut bait decision driven by the money commitment. Learning the game for a season or two behind a veteran was a solid development model that is now more a luxury than a practise.

Fully agree. Giving Fields away for pennies is mind numbing.
Always liked Mayfield, seems like a good guy and good teammate. I agree, he got a raw deal in Cleveland, and it's gone from bad to worse for them at that position. Too bad, really, because the rest of the team is lights out. Way too many teams giving up on young guys far too early, in my estimation. The whole reason they usually get these guys is that they're a shitty team/org and have a ton of other holes to fill, and that takes time. Meanwhile, their rookie "saviour", along with his big signing bonus, also gets the shit kicked out of him and looks terrible while doing it. Of course, there are exceptions either way. Stroud was amazing last year, and clearly the Texans other drafts and signing all turned out to help him. As for Zac Wilson or Sam Darnold, I think they are just going to be terrible to mediocre QB's at best, and I can't see them hanging around too much longer.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Always liked Mayfield, seems like a good guy and good teammate. I agree, he got a raw deal in Cleveland, and it's gone from bad to worse for them at that position. Too bad, really, because the rest of the team is lights out. Way too many teams giving up on young guys far too early, in my estimation. The whole reason they usually get these guys is that they're a shitty team/org and have a ton of other holes to fill, and that takes time. Meanwhile, their rookie "saviour", along with his big signing bonus, also gets the shit kicked out of him and looks terrible while doing it. Of course, there are exceptions either way. Stroud was amazing last year, and clearly the Texans other drafts and signing all turned out to help him. As for Zac Wilson or Sam Darnold, I think they are just going to be terrible to mediocre QB's at best, and I can't see them hanging around too much longer.
What comes first the chicken or the quarterback?

The Brock Purdy model salvaged a brutal draft trade for Trey Lance. But reinforces the importance of building quality around a young QB versus a shitty team expecting a high draft QB will simply elevate their team without good enough support around them.

"Currently, first-round draft picks can sign four-year deals worth around $12.75m. In the second round, that number drops to between $6m and $12m, then third-round picks can earn between $5.4m and $6m.

That drops to between $4.5m and $5.4m in round four, with fifth rounders between $4m and $5m. Sixth-round picks pick up around $4m and players in the seventh and final round - such as Purdy in 2022 - will earn less than $4m over their four-year deals.

What impact does this have?​

The rookie wage scale was introduced in 2011 as part of the NFL’s collective bargaining agreement. A year before it came in the St Louis Rams made number one draft pick Sam Bradford the best-paid rookie in league history, handing him a six-year, $78m deal with $50m in guarantees.

The biggest impact that this new rule has had is to favour teams that have a starting quarterback on a rookie contract, as they can spend their salary cap money on building a stronger team around their QB, rather than piling big money into the most vital position on the field. The 49ers are a classic example of this, as Purdy is surrounded by the likes of Trent Williams, Deebo Samuel, Christian McCaffrey and George Kittle in the San Francisco offense.

Should Purdy lead his team to glory this season, you can bet that his agent will factor that in when contract negotiations for his client's second deal kick off."

The Rookie Salary structure forces decisions on quarterbacks quicker before the inflationary reality of second contract dollars and term hits at the marquee position. There seems to be somewhat of a trend for QB's to flame out with their first team (often draft pedigree guys) and reset at a cost control salary into a second organization. With that some more realistic development which can garner second chance as a starting QB something like is happening with San Darnold.

But even within a high data driven league, you still see the danger of eye test evaluation like this one of Zach Wilson's pro day. No pads, no helmet, no defensive pressure, just drop back and fire bb's to receivers showing arm strength, ability to throw against his body (which basically is exceptionally limited use in game conditions). Easy to see raw ability but without NHL apex talent and game speed. QB seduction has always created blindspots.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Still trying to wrap my head around Atlanta grabbing a QB so early.

Now long-term I like the idea that they won't be rushing Penix like so many others will be, but the guy wasn't even necessarily a shoe in to go in the 1st let alone top 10.

The team had other needs they should've looked at first.

Plus now they have the cap implications of paying Penix a fully guaranteed higher salary than if they would've waited to find a younger guy later in the draft.

Like I said not a horrible long-term decision, but I thought Atlanta would be trying more to get Cousins weapons to get back into the playoffs

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

Now long-term I like the idea that they won't be rushing Penix like so many others will be, but the guy wasn't even necessarily a shoe in to go in the 1st let alone top 10.

Plus now they have the cap implications of paying Penix a fully guaranteed higher salary than if they would've waited to find a younger guy later in the draft.

Like I said not a horrible long-term decision, but I thought Atlanta would be trying more to get Cousins weapons to get back into the playoffs
I thought that was the head scratcher of the first round. Not what they needed right now, and with his injury history and age, I just don’t see the fit. Maybe the Raiders would have taken him at 13, but that’s the earliest I think he would have gone. At worst should have traded down a few spots.

Reactions: joestevens29

timekeep

Apr 28, 2010

I'm a Bears fan and have seen a few head banging moves, but this one tops those. I don't think that Penix is any healthier than Cousins and definitely not better. Falcons owner is trying to be the new Jerry Jones.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad