NFL 2024

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Not that any of you care, but very interesting situation going on in Pittsburgh with the QB situation.

Rudolph probably moving on, which while doesn't seem big really was our best QB last year.

Trubisky gone, which I never understood why they signed him in first place. I mean makes sense to try bring in a vet to help Pickett, but Trubisky isn't that vet.

Then you have Pickett who there was some controversy surrounding late in the year. Personally I don't think he's the guy of the future, but Qb's are so damn funny in the NFL.

Now the names coming in potentially. Fields and Tannehill. Really don't know what to think. Fields being more mobile than what we've had could be a good fit for the new offense we are going to try, but I'm curious how much rope Smith has under Tomlin. Tomlin has been known to want the team to run a low risk offense, so if that's the case is Fields any good?

Reactions: bellagiobob

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Not that any of you care, but very interesting situation going on in Pittsburgh with the QB situation.

Rudolph probably moving on, which while doesn't seem big really was our best QB last year.

Trubisky gone, which I never understood why they signed him in first place. I mean makes sense to try bring in a vet to help Pickett, but Trubisky isn't that vet.

Then you have Pickett who there was some controversy surrounding late in the year. Personally I don't think he's the guy of the future, but Qb's are so damn funny in the NFL.

Now the names coming in potentially. Fields and Tannehill. Really don't know what to think. Fields being more mobile than what we've had could be a good fit for the new offense we are going to try, but I'm curious how much rope Smith has under Tomlin. Tomlin has been known to want the team to run a low risk offense, so if that's the case is Fields any good?
Gonna be interesting what Chicago does with Fields and the 1st overall. I still think they keep him and trade down, but if a team offers them a 1st for Fields, I think they jump at it. For Pitts, it would be an interesting add. Both extremely talented and frustrating at the same time, not sure how much of that is on the player and how much is on the poor development and coaching carousel he’s had in Chicago. I’m not a big Pickett fan, but he’s still young and the guy does have decent skill, maybe he just needs more time. Will be a fun off season.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Really? I don’t see it at all. A good head coach coming in for 1 year tops to run Shanahans defence? Not very appealing for both parties imo. I think the Niners hire internal.
I see it as Shanahan is in the hot seat now with his lack of playoff success, and another year of no SB and he may get turfed. Bring in an excellent D mind, who inherits a very good D that can springboard him back to a HC job next year. Win win.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I see it as Shanahan is in the hot seat now with his lack of playoff success, and another year of no SB and he may get turfed. Bring in an excellent D mind, who inherits a very good D that can springboard him back to a HC job next year. Win win.
He wants to run his defence though. That’s part of the reason he turfed his DC was it not?

Vrabel will have a job as a HC next season. He won’t need a spring board imo. It’s pretty ridiculous he hasn’t been hired already.

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
I hate the Niners, but I think Shanahan is a damn good coach

there was a time when Andy Reid couldn't win "the big one" with Philly after all those Conference Finals loses and 1 SB loss...now he's a genius

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

there was a time when Andy Reid couldn't win "the big one" with Philly after all those Conference Finals loses and 1 SB loss...now he's a genius
1708010127379.gif

• Haha
Reactions: CantHaveTkachev

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
He wants to run his defence though. That’s part of the reason he turfed his DC was it not?

Vrabel will have a job as a HC next season. He won’t need a spring board imo. It’s pretty ridiculous he hasn’t been hired already.
I mean he was passed over by numerous teams this off season, so he won’t have a job at the start of the year. And it’s usually shitty teams that fire their coaches about 3/4 of the way thru the season, so not exactly the pick of the crop. Shanahan needed a scapegoat, and he picked the DC. Will see, just thought it looked interesting as a potential one season fit.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006

He is a very good coach, but Reid had to go elsewhere to get the brass ring. Not saying it will happen, but if the Niners happen to cough up another double digit lead in the playoffs, I could see a change being made, depending on what other coaching options are available at the time. Just saying his seat is getting hotter.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018
I mean he was passed over by numerous teams this off season, so he won’t have a job at the start of the year. And it’s usually shitty teams that fire their coaches about 3/4 of the way thru the season, so not exactly the pick of the crop. Shanahan needed a scapegoat, and he picked the DC. Will see, just thought it looked interesting as a potential one season fit.
It was a scape goat for sure but he still mentioned running his defence. A previous good head coach will have no interest in being a DC pawn. There will be a power struggle guaranteed.

Yah some of the HC hires this year are beyond ridiculous.

It’s not necessarily only bad teams that fire their coach mid season. Underperforming good ones do as well sometimes. I could see someone like Sirianni having a short leash.

With Vrabel I see

A. Takes a season off and gets hired for next season.
B. Gets hired by a good team that fires their coach because they are underperforming.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
It was a scape goat for sure but he still mentioned running his defence. A previous good head coach will have no interest in being a DC pawn. There will be a power struggle guaranteed.

Yah some of the HC hires this year are beyond ridiculous.

It’s not necessarily only bad teams that fire their coach mid season. Underperforming good ones do as well sometimes. I could see someone like Sirianni having a short leash.

With Vrabel I see

A. Takes a season off and gets hired for next season.
B. Gets hired by a good team that fires their coach because they are underperforming.
That was my line of thinking until the Niner DC job became available. It probably won’t happen, but egos aside and all that, think it could work.

Reactions: TopShelfGloveSide

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Gonna be interesting what Chicago does with Fields and the 1st overall. I still think they keep him and trade down, but if a team offers them a 1st for Fields, I think they jump at it. For Pitts, it would be an interesting add. Both extremely talented and frustrating at the same time, not sure how much of that is on the player and how much is on the poor development and coaching carousel he’s had in Chicago. I’m not a big Pickett fan, but he’s still young and the guy does have decent skill, maybe he just needs more time. Will be a fun off season.
Keeping Fields if they view him as the QB who will be the best option means that you need to see him perform well enough in 2024 to warrant at a Minimum the Daniel Jones contract which was $80 mill fully guaranteed (4 years for $160 mill in Total). You obviously pick up the 5th year option this summer.

If he doesn’t play well enough to warrant that and you still need 2025 to decide, going to be a massive hot seat for the front office.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad