Line Combos: Next Years Lines

Scriptor

Jan 1, 2014
Like to play Drouin on top line. Build up his trade value for deadline. His speed will match up well. But doubt he last long.

Caufield - Suzuki - Anderson
Dadonov - Dvorak - Gallagher
Slafkovsky - Dach - Drouin
Hoffman - Evans - Armia

Ylonen, Poehling

I think that Drouin on the third line, with two big boys as line mates, weaker opposition and lesser defensive assignments, will produce more and better enhance his value.

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
Don't know why you would want him in Liga. Why put him somewhere where you no control over your prospects development when you can have him in Laval where the Canadiens training staff can develop him how they want?

his Liga coach might want him to continue being a playmaker while the Habs would prefer him to focus on his "meaness", hitting, and Shooting.

Reactions: Habs10Habs

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
You dont place such a player as Slafkovsky on a 3rd line.

They should play him in AHL, or let him roubd out is game in Liiga one more year - that will do him very good. NHL is NOT a developement league. Have patience. Suck one more year, then accelarate. Otherwuse he will turn into a 3rd line grinder with that big body.

Reactions: calder candidate

TheBuriedHab

Jan 27, 2010
Slaf will be playing in the NHL this year. He already showed he can play vs men in Finland and internationally.

In the past I'd be worried about Slaf getting 13 mins a night but this isn't the old regime. MSL is going to play him 18 mins a night on the top line in all situations and give him a ton of room to be himself.

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
It’s become clear Craig Ramsay had significant responsibility in ramping up Slaf’s progression this season - entire game plan for Team Slovak @ Olympics was focused on Slaf being leaned on to carry the offense.

Ramsay strikes me as a perfect complement to MSLs view on teaching this generation of players, while providing the NHL coaching experience that’s lacking behind the Habs bench.

Last edited:

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
What about Byron and Pitlick. We have too many forwards.
Byron's hip isn't healing as expected. He said he's not even sure if he's going to be ok to start the season when interviewed at Ducharme golfing tournament a few days ago. He can't even train right now.

I wouldn't slot him on the line-up.

I expect two forwards to be traded before the season start on top of that.

blarneylad

Feb 1, 2009
Caufield - Suzuki - Dadonov
Hoffman - White - Anderson
Poehling - Dach - Gallagher
Drouin - Evans - Armia

That is WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY too early for this thread.
There's too many bodies yet, more moves are coming and the Romanov trade should teach you that no one is safe, not even Caufield or Suzuki
Trades still to be made for sure. And UFA day

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
This is what I would do for the first 9 games.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Byron-Dvorak-Gallagher (hard minutes line)
Dadonov-Dach-Anderson (soft minutes and let Dach figure shit out offensively)
Pitlick-Evans-Armia (fourth line)

Need to do something with Hoffman, Drouin, Poehling and Pezzetta.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
If they rush Slafkovsky to the NHL so he can "improve his meanness" playing with grinders I'm going to be so pissed. Short term the goal for the kid should be to get him to focus on his offensive game against non-Kazakh opponents.

This is what I would do for the first 9 games.

Slafkovsky-Suzuki-Caufield
Byron-Dvorak-Gallagher (hard minutes line)
Dadonov-Dach-Anderson (soft minutes and let Dach figure shit out offensively)
Pitlick-Evans-Armia (fourth line)

Need to do something with Hoffman, Drouin, Poehling and Pezzetta.
Trade or waivers

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
Suzuki, Caufield, Anderson, Slafkovsky, Dach & Dadonov to me will be the Top-6.

They might start Dach at 3C and put Dvorak at 2C to start and then they switch roles as the year progresses. But the guys I listed are who I think will start as the Top-6.

But I'll be more than good if Slaf starts in Laval.
Unless our goal is to lose on purpose, can we please play Caufield on the right side? Dadonov can go to the left.

Also I think Dach might pair well with Gallahger and Dvorak with the speedier Andersoh.

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Garnet76

Dec 3, 2017
Chatham Ontario
If Slaf makes the team he should be in the top 6. Don't start him in a checking role because that doesn't make sense. Top 6 in montreal or Laval for me. This season will be another write off so no need to rush the kid.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006
If Slaf makes the team he should be in the top 6. Don't start him in a checking role because that doesn't make sense. Top 6 in montreal or Laval for me. This season will be another write off so no need to rush the kid.
Give him 20 games with Suzuki and Caufield, and see if we have the makings of a number 1 like eventually.

Reactions: Garnet76

HomaridII

May 23, 2006
Montreal, Canada
If we somehow manage to trade away Hoffman and Drouin and a couple other big salariés lol

Slaf - Suzuki - Caufield
Forsberg - Dach - Anderson
Dadonov - Dvorak - Gallagher
Armia - Evans - Byron

Reactions: VirginiaMtlExpat

Rob Sense

Apr 26, 2015
Slaf will be playing in the NHL this year. He already showed he can play vs men in Finland and internationally.

In the past I'd be worried about Slaf getting 13 mins a night but this isn't the old regime. MSL is going to play him 18 mins a night on the top line in all situations and give him a ton of room to be himself.
yes playing against men like in Liiga. expect 5-6 goals and double digit points!

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Byron's hip isn't healing as expected. He said he's not even sure if he's going to be ok to start the season when interviewed at Ducharme golfing tournament a few days ago. He can't even train right now.

I wouldn't slot him on the line-up.

I expect two forwards to be traded before the season start on top of that.
Is he thinking retirement/LTIR?

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
We cannot let Pezzetta out of the lineup you guys are selling him short. Rem as well.

Slaf-Suzuki-CC
Dvorak-Dach-Anderson
Dadonov-Evans-Gallagher
Pezzetta-Poehling-Pitlicik

Hoffman Armia Drouin Byron the ~20M taxi squad. Thanks Bergevin.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Is he thinking retirement/LTIR?
Only one year left on his contract, so probably thinking of retirement. I don't think he's going on LTIR or a buyout, Hughes should be able to make some cap space room to keep him on it.

He's going to try to play this season thought, but he's clearly getting frustrated with all the injuries.

Reactions: Deebs

Milhouse40

Aug 19, 2010
I look at all you guys lines-up.....there's still tons of work to be done but there's little things that bothers me.

1- I'm using Caufield with Dach (and most likely Slaf too)
I want Dach to gain confidence offensively, he's not going to take the hard work or we're going to burn him more than he already is. Place on the 3rd line, we'll turn him into Eller or KK. Suzuki gets that hard job, not using him with two rookies to do that job and it would make sense to put our little winger with our bigger center.

2- Poehling get the 4th line ahead of Evans
Management needs to made a decision cause there's no place for both of them. Not that I think Poehling is better right now....but he's younger, cost less, more potential and he's a very big guy which seems to be appreciated from this management. Evans is also one good hit away from being seriously hurt. Evans might have some little value as Peohling as none yet. I would try to get the little value possible in Evans.

3- Slafkovsky - Suzuki - Caufield
I know everyboody like the idea of that line.....but if we do that they'll get the best defender 100% of the time, we can hardly built another line equally dangerous and Suzuki is our 2-way guy right now. Not that is a terrible idea, it will be try for sure and we'll see but if we want our prospects to develop well, they need to be on offensive minded line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad