Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

pei fan

Jan 3, 2004
The only way Crosby won't win the Calder is if he ends up on an established team where the Coach wants to "coach him" and not make waves with the more senior
players.Lehetonen could have a pretty big year.I don't expect to see AO in the
NHL next year.My understanding was it would be a few years before he came
over and that was the plan before the lockout.

thomasincanada

Mar 7, 2005
London, ON
flambers said:
M Richards - Philly has to much depth to see this guy make the team
J Carter - Same thing, Philly is a hard team to crack the line up

I think you're underestimating these two and their opportunities on Philly. I fully expect to see them both on the team and playing next year (assuming of course there is an NHL season).

I'm not a philly fan, mind you, but from what I've been reading on these boards I think most flyers fans think the same.

Tom

MojoJojo

Jan 31, 2003
Philadelphia
Visit site
thomasincanada said:
I think you're underestimating these two and their opportunities on Philly. I fully expect to see them both on the team and playing next year (assuming of course there is an NHL season).

I'm not a philly fan, mind you, but from what I've been reading on these boards I think most flyers fans think the same.

Tom

besides the fact that Bobby Clarke has promised that they will be on the team, with a cap, they are likely to see more than just a little icetime. Like every former contender, the Flyers are shedding a lot of contracts and are going to be using a lot more rookie talent to stay below the cap (No more Recchi, Amonte, LeClair, and Zhamnov from last season). I would not be surprised at all if we have first line of Gagne-Carter-Roenick and a second of Knuble-Primeau-Richards. The only other two forwards that are worth getting more ice time are Handzus and Kapanen. If Carter gets time with Gagne and Roenick, even with Hitchcocks defense first mindset, he should be in the running as a serious contender for the Calder.

HFNHL Red Wings

CrossCheck said:
Brad Boyes would be my long shot... Boston has to sign players so, sincs he's cheap, he'll get to play with an UFA and probably Samsonov... Could be worth it!!!

I'm glad someone finally got Boyes into this thread. I'm not betting on him to win it but I would bet on him finishing in the top 5 of calder point producers.

Another I don't see (or overlooked) is Lundqvist. Rangers have a big hole in net and if they can turn things around this year with him in net ... I know a lot of if's there ... he could win it.

Disclaimer: These are homer picks on my part a they are both players I've drafted in the HFNHL ;)

wedge

Oct 4, 2004
victoriaville
I like Vanek's chances, as he'll surely play on one of Buffalo's top two lines from game 1.

Lehtonen is also one of the favorites.

Also, Malin, Ovechkin, Crosby, Kronwall (still a rookie?)

Dominator13

Feb 20, 2003
hockey city
Dominator13
flambers said:
Kostitsyn - He is not even close, he had a brutual year in AHL

My pick for rookie of the year is Lehtonen
hold your darkhorses buddy! the main was to learn defense this year plus he played wtih Raitis Ivanans of all players+ i think he was like the 2nd youngest player in the AHL+ he didn't even know english! give him time, he has a great shot, hands, plus he uses his body witch is very rare for a Euro

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
MrMastodonFarm said:
You're going to have to explain that one.

I said that Calgary needs a Phaneuf on the blueline because of their lack of a superstar physical defenseman. Regehr is their closest, but I think that any team could use a good Phaneuf, and he will be very intimidating to play against. Im not saying Calgary is weak defensively, because they are the opposite, Im just saying that they could use another big defenseman who should be able to help out offensively as well.

X0ssbar

Besides the obvious choices (Let, OvechkinG, Crosby, Malkin) I like the suggestion of Parise as a sleeper.

hockeynut11

Jun 16, 2005
I would say Lehtonen. He's one of the best rookie goalies I've seen in a while. Him and Niittymaki. I don't really think Ovechkin will do well in the NHL without playing physical. Look what Canada (World Juniors) did to him. Although if Crosby is put on a good team, he may be contending for it too. Parise is also a good pick. It is sure going to be a good year for rookies. I'm getting excited. Come on, October come quick.

Vipers

May 17, 2002
Visit site
I don't think that Lehtonen or Niitymaki could be in the game to be rookie of the year. Nurminen and Esche are still under contract ( I think) and they're not bad goalies and they will, at least if they struggle, share for next year. In Raycroft case, it was a different story, Potvin was at the end of the road, and this open the door to Raycroft. Esche has 27 and Nurminen 29. OK a serious injury could change everything, but I will not guess on that, odds are to low.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby or a standout AHL player could fill up the hopes.

Too hard for a defenseman to be there with the quality of the offensive players sub-mentionned.

JohnnyRyall

Nov 2, 2004
Vipers said:
I don't think that Lehtonen or Niitymaki could be in the game to be rookie of the year. Nurminen and Esche are still under contract ( I think) and they're not bad goalies and they will, at least if they struggle, share for next year. In Raycroft case, it was a different story, Potvin was at the end of the road, and this open the door to Raycroft. Esche has 27 and Nurminen 29. OK a serious injury could change everything, but I will not guess on that, odds are to low.

Ovechkin, Malkin, Crosby or a standout AHL player could fill up the hopes.

Too hard for a defenseman to be there with the quality of the offensive players sub-mentionned.

Nurminen and Esche will both be RFA.

Kronwall's got a shot. But yeah, a great year by a rookie d-man will get overshadowed by a great year from a rookie forward ...

Habsfan 32

Aug 18, 2004
Way up north...
Between Crosby and Ovechkin I think AO has the better chance simply because he's been playing in a men's league for the past 3 seasons and he's more mature physicaly then Crosby.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
I think Vanek will be the guy to win it. Playing in Buffalo he could be the one to push them over the edge into the playoffs for the first time in a while. That and hes already got alot of NHL calibre tools to him. If he has success in the scoring department 2/3's of what he had in the AHL then he should be able to take home the hardware. Hes been a scoring force everywhere hes played so far and is one of the few young players to have experience on the world stage other than U-20 teams and what not. Hes got a pretty good edge to win this thing if he can have some desire.

saillias

Sep 6, 2004
Calgary
4.) Phaneuf (will join a Calgary blueline that needs him, He will see alot of playing time along with youngsters Leopold, Regehr, ference and Commodore)
[/QUOTE]

:( God help us if he even makes the roster.

Fozz

Aug 1, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
This thread is getting me excited because of sheer number of potential great players coming into the NHL. The future is bright indeed!

As for the ROY, it's a tough call because of the number of guys that can win it. My favorites are:

- Crosby
- Ovechkin
- Carter
- Lethonen
- Malkin
- Vanek
- Phaneuf
- Kronwall

Last edited:

John Flyers Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Visit site
flambers said:
Interesting post, IMO lots of the names mentioned will not even play in the NHL this year (assuming there is a season).

M Richards - Philly has to much depth to see this guy make the team
J Carter - Same thing, Philly is a hard team to crack the line up

Richards and Carter have all but been guaranteed two of the Flyers four center spots, along with Primeau and Handzus

Birko19

Aug 13, 2002
Hamilton, Ont
Visit site
Here's what I think:

- Sidney Crosby: I don't think he'll crack the top 3 (Just a gut feeling), but will probably do good in terms of offensive production, somewhere around 40 points, but I guess we'll have to see the team he's on before we can say that.

- Alexander Ovechkin: I like his chances out of the forwards because being on a poor team like Washington sure gives him the advantage with the ice-time, specially if he's put on the same line with Semin, I think Ovechkin will do a 50+ point season and lead all rookies in points.

- Niklas Kronwall: Nik has a big chance in winning it, simply because he's gotten much better and not to mention he'll have a big role on Detroit's blue-line this year, he'll most likely be playing with Lidstrom so that should help his chances, plus he should get plenty of ice-time on the PP so this should help his point totals, he has impressed everywhere he played for the past year so he should be a good candidate, if everything goes well for him I expect him to score anywhere from 25-35 points and lead all rookie defenders in points.

- Kari Lehtonen: He's another good pick for the Calder, I think Atlanta will ride him this season and see how well he'll do, I personally think he'll impress and do well, but to be safe I think they should sign a veteran goalie and let them split the season just to see how Kari does, I think he'll be more then fine and will pull off a similar season to Andrew Raycroft last year, on the other hand Atlanta has a poor defense and their forwards are'nt exactly Selke material, so everything I said could turn into the opposite, we'll have to wait and see I guess but if Kari wins the Calder, say hello to the new Roy or Brodeur.

- Dion Phaneuf: Another good choice, assuming Dion gets at least a top 4 job in Calgary and some time on the PP, he should do quite well, his style is all about NHL and I think he's ready for the big show, Dion will probably score somewhere around 15-20 points but will provide the overall performance that will help his chances, pretty much a similar performance to the 2003 Calder winner Barret Jackman.

- Jeff Carter: I think Jeff is the most ready out of all the forwards, however being on a loaded team like Philly will probably hurt his chances due to the small amount of ice-time, unless Philly plays him on the top 2 lines and some PP time I just can't see him passing a player like Ovechkin, but he should be good for a 40+ point season, he has all the tools and should do well regardless.

- Thomas Vanek: Explosive player indeed, but I think he'll have a slow start then explode in the end of the season, kind of like what Tuomo Ruutu pulled off last season, I don't think he'll crack the top 3 but I do think he'll go on fire the second half and reach the 40 point corner.

- Evgeny Malkin: I think he's a great pick, with a young team like the Pens Malkin should get plenty of ice-time, and this kid has the talent so he should do very well, he has impressed me everywhere and he's definitely a youngster to watch, I say he'll crach 45+ points and challange Mr.Ovechkin for the top scorer for rookies.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Birko19 said:
- Kari Lehtonen: He's another good pick for the Calder, I think Atlanta will ride him this season and see how well he'll do, I personally think he'll impress and do well, but to be safe I think they should sign a veteran goalie and let them split the season just to see how Kari does, I think he'll be more then fine and will pull off a similar season to Andrew Raycroft last year, on the other hand Atlanta has a poor defense and their forwards are'nt exactly Selke material, so everything I said could turn into the opposite, we'll have to wait and see I guess but if Kari wins the Calder, say hello to the new Roy or Brodeur.
They've got Pasi, no need to sign anyone...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad