Next Seasons Rookie of the Year

Status
Not open for further replies.

flambers

Jun 4, 2005
I still think Lehtonen will win the rookie of the year and it will not even be close. Altanta with all their young players are ready to become a force in the NHL.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
rt said:
He was nearly a point per game in the 'A' this is season. I know, I know, but I'm just saying...

I know, and I didn't mean to sound overly critical of him :) It's just from what I saw of him in the NHL, he has a ways to go.

BIG M

Mar 2, 2002
Calgary
Visit site
Phaneuf - Will win if ?

Phaneuf will win if the Flames are the lucky ones to draft Crosby. With all the media focus on Crosby everyone will be able to see that the best rookie is Phaneuf.

Smelco

Aug 19, 2004
After seeing Ryder, Hunter, and Raycroft surprise last year over overhyped ones....

im going with Jarkko Immonen, Chad Wiseman, David Leneveau

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
jmelm said:
He was a healthy scratch the first couple of games which probably only happened because the coach didn't want to rush him into that kind of situation for fear he might not be able to handle it.

Well, once he was put in the line-up, he was never taken out and his ice time was increased every game, to the point that he was a go-to guy and being put out there when Russia needed to score a big goal.

In any event, minute-for-minute he was the most dominant player on that roster and created more chances than anyone else.

He didnt even score a goal. I really think you are pumping him up way to much. He was great in the world championships but did next to nothing in the world cup, ice time or not he still wasnt the best player on the team. Think about the tournaments that Kovalev and Zubrus had then you are saying he is the best player. I know we all love our prospects around here but common.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
bert said:
He didnt even score a goal. I really think you are pumping him up way to much. He was great in the world championships but did next to nothing in the world cup, ice time or not he still wasnt the best player on the team. Think about the tournaments that Kovalev and Zubrus had then you are saying he is the best player. I know we all love our prospects around here but common.

I think he is talking about the World Championships, but confusing it with the World Cup.

MetalMilitia

Jan 8, 2005
I don't know about the 2005/2006 season, but in the 06/07 season Bobby Ryan will win rook of the year :yo: I might possibly be willing to put money on that

Habruti!

Mar 5, 2002
Gatineau
Visit site
I guess it all depends on a two things: ice time and supporting cast... I would think that the second one is even more important then the first... based on that here are few choices:

Tear 1: Vanek, Carter, Perezhogin, Michalek, Koivu, Kronwall, Parise, Lethinen (I think Atlanta and Buffalo will be Hot next Year).

Tear 2: The obvious Malkin, Overchkin

This could all be re-ordered after the draft (i.e Crosby is drafted by Ottawa or something like that).

sveiglar

Feb 27, 2002
If Atlanta makes the playoff, Lehtonen gets it. It would take a 70+ pt season from another skater to beat him if they get to the playoffs for the first time ever.

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
sveiglar said:
If Atlanta makes the playoff, Lehtonen gets it. It would take a 70+ pt season from another skater to beat him if they get to the playoffs for the first time ever.

team with heatley,kovalchuk and couple freeagents.. no no..

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
Jaded-Fan said:
If either comes over, Malkin or AO. Mostly because of the irony that both Washington and Pittsburgh will suck next year so getting the player who draws the fans in points will be the focus..

You are 100% wrong. Pittsburgh will have a good team next year. They have $6.5 million in committed and have said that they will have a payroll over $30 million next year. They also have a new owner who will doubtless want to show fans that he wants to win.

They are going to have a field day signing those seddenly cheap agents. Look for them to be over .500 and easily make the playoffs.

arnie

Dec 20, 2004
sharkyz15 said:
Based on Vaneks huge in the A he has to be ahead of MAlkin in my mind

but thats just me

I would say

1. AO
2.Kari
3.Vanek
4.Carter
5.Michalek

I agree. The odds of anyone who has not played North American pro being rookie of the year is miniscule. However, Ovechkin is an exception, so you ranking looks about right to me.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
arnie said:
I agree. The odds of anyone who has not played North American pro being rookie of the year is miniscule

Since 1990:

Sergei Makarov
Pavel Bure
Teemu Selanne
Peter Forsberg
Daniel Alfredsson

5/15 is "miniscule"? And there were plenty of guys who finished in the top 3 in voting. Also, the NCAA and CHL are not pro leagues.

4:20

Mar 23, 2002
B.C.
Visit site
I think that there are three main contenders-

1. Ovechkin - If he comes to the NHL he is my favorite to win the calder. He is physically strong, a mature player, has an all around game, is highly skilled, and from everything I have read is a hard worker and motivated to improve.

2. Crosby - He just might have the talent and hockey sense to blow everyone away. Plus with the draft lottery he has a good chance to find himself in a better position to succeed than most #1 overall picks.

3. Lehtonen - Did Patrick Roy lead his team to a stanley cup championship in his first year in the NHL? In my opinion Lehtonen has the best shot of any young goalie to make an immediate and huge impact at the NHL level.

I really like the upside of players like Malkin, Phaneuf, Vanek, Carter, Suter, Parise, and Getzlaf, and I think that any of them could win the award but they would have to have shockingly good seasons (which could happen - someone will surprise everyone with the progress they make).

Other guys mentioned in this thread who I really like are Kronwall and Perezhogin. These guys are little bit older than the others and their maturity might give them an edge if Ovechkin, Crosby, and Lehtonen don't dominate.

sharkyz15

Jul 13, 2003
The Dirty Dirty SC
Visit site
I will break it into 2 main catigories of candatites

The Rookies who will play big Roles on GOOD teams
-Michalek
-Carter
-Richards
-Phanuef

Lehtonin is a guy I think can really control his own fate

Rookies who will play big Minutes on bad teams but talented enough to put up #'s
-Ovechkin
-Malkin
-Crosby (assuming a bad team get him)
-Vanek

Til the End of Time

May 18, 2003
Santa Monica, CA
Visit site
arnie said:
You are 100% wrong. Pittsburgh will have a good team next year. They have $6.5 million in committed and have said that they will have a payroll over $30 million next year. They also have a new owner who will doubtless want to show fans that he wants to win.

They are going to have a field day signing those seddenly cheap agents. Look for them to be over .500 and easily make the playoffs.

Now you're just lying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad