Speculation: Next Head Coach of the Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014

A coach who understands the importance of faceoffs?

Did you miss the part where he says, "...it's not about about face offs, but I put it in anyways. It's about situational awareness. That took two seconds. So now as coaches when you're pissed of at your power play, you..."

:naughty:

Reactions: Johnny Hoxville

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
[mod]

the main reason I don't like this is because it is rushed.

We should have waited and weighed all our options and than decided on what coach to hire. If we had bought in a more veteran and winning coach, I think it would have calmed the fanbase and the players down a bit.

I apologie if I have offended but I am just a frustrated fan who went to about 15 Flames games this and I feel like I did not get money worth.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: No Draft

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
This sums up what I feel like, we could have went with AV or Darryl Sutter or waited because another good coach becomes available, there was no rush, but no we go and hire a coach that has had not be successful at many levels.

The whole "process" was not done right, it was rushed.
How has he not been successful at many levels?
He's won:
- a Memorial Cup
- Ivan Hlinka gold medal
- World Championship gold medal
- 8 players from his AHL tenure have gone on to win Stanley Cups

Sure he hasn't won in the NHL, but he was with the Carolina f***ing Hurricanes. I like them and all but they have zero forward depth, shitty goaltending and their defensemen might as well be forwards. No one would win with that team and yet until the new owner yanked the carpet out from under the franchise by reassigning the GM, he had the team in a playoff race.

And how do you know the process was rushed? We've all known Gulutzan was done at the end of this year for months. You don't think that the management team has been preparing for that day? Gathering all the information they can all any and all potential replacements? This NHL isn't like the Tim Horton's where you bus tables, where they have to rely on resumes and interviews. All the information for potential NHL coaches is out there, between video and the connections these guys have, the information about candidates is there. That's why they don't have to interview 10 different people for the job, they already know what they want and what the candidates are capable of. The interview is no more than a formality, to make sure you have the same vision going forward. If the team does multiple interviews, it means they never saw eye to eye with the top candidate on their list.

The assumptions you make have zero basis in reality.

Snazu

I contribute nothing
Feb 2, 2007
The more I read about Bill Peters, the less I'm skeptical about this potential hiring. Seems like a good dude and I like the fact that he's worked as an assistant with Mike Babcock for numerous years.
zN_zea.mp4

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
And you are the one who knows everything? You are one of those blind squirrels that just follow anyone and believe everything.

There is not a whole lot of difference between Peters and Glen Gulutzan, Peters is “just a hard ass” that will tuned out by the players. Brad Trevling is running this team like it is his dad Boston Pizza. There are two very good coaches available (AV and Darryl Sutter) and he goes and hires a coach that does not have a good record and is coming from a losing organization.

There aren't many coaches that aren't hard asses. Boudreau is one of the few I'm aware of. Even nice guy Glen swore like a sailor and sent sticks sailing into the stands. Anyone else?

GM with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation hires a coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation(s). Said coach bombs out, so the GM hires another coach with no history of success and coming from a crappy organisation.

What can go wrong?

Possibly nothing is held against Brad by ownership. I seriously do not think it's a coincidence that we've been low balling coaches for the last decade. IIRC Sutter was coach/GM because the owners didn't want to pay for both. Gully supposedly made $800K which pales in comparison to AV and Babcock.

Peters makes 1.6 mil ish. I think management is a huge factor that might actually still be controlled by ownership even though Treliving is rumored to demand autonomy. I think ownership gave him NHL roster autonomy but possibly not management autonomy.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Did you miss the part where he says, "...it's not about about face offs, but I put it in anyways. It's about situational awareness. That took two seconds. So now as coaches when you're pissed of at your power play, you..."

:naughty:
Yeah, but the idea that the faceoff is important because it's an indicator, a byproduct of what he goes on to discuss; situational awareness, the compete level, the readiness to play - that's kind of where I was coming from. At least that's what I got from it.

Anyways, I'm still not fully sold on him, but I think "basically the same as Gulutzan" appears to be the worst case scenario (except he'll juggle lines - maybe to a fault)

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
Yeah, but the idea that the faceoff is important because it's an indicator, a byproduct of what he goes on to discuss; situational awareness, the compete level, the readiness to play - that's kind of where I was coming from. At least that's what I got from it.

Anyways, I'm still not fully sold on him, but I think "basically the same as Gulutzan" appears to be the worst case scenario (except he'll juggle lines - maybe to a fault)

Lol. I was teasing. I completely agree with you regarding face offs. :)

Face off could be a good metaphor for the Gully vs Peters situation though... ;)

giphy.gif

And in all seriousness... half of ya'll need a good laugh. Ya'll too serious.
giphy.gif

giphy.gif

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
How has he not been successful at many levels?
He's won:
- a Memorial Cup
- Ivan Hlinka gold medal
- World Championship gold medal
- 8 players from his AHL tenure have gone on to win Stanley Cups

Sure he hasn't won in the NHL, but he was with the Carolina ****ing Hurricanes. I like them and all but they have zero forward depth, ****ty goaltending and their defensemen might as well be forwards. No one would win with that team and yet until the new owner yanked the carpet out from under the franchise by reassigning the GM, he had the team in a playoff race.

And how do you know the process was rushed? We've all known Gulutzan was done at the end of this year for months. You don't think that the management team has been preparing for that day? Gathering all the information they can all any and all potential replacements? This NHL isn't like the Tim Horton's where you bus tables, where they have to rely on resumes and interviews. All the information for potential NHL coaches is out there, between video and the connections these guys have, the information about candidates is there. That's why they don't have to interview 10 different people for the job, they already know what they want and what the candidates are capable of. The interview is no more than a formality, to make sure you have the same vision going forward. If the team does multiple interviews, it means they never saw eye to eye with the top candidate on their list.

The assumptions you make have zero basis in reality.

Other than the memorial cup, the others aren't really that important. The reason I feel this is rushed is because we could have waited a bit longer and there would have been more options and maybe better options. Had there been no AV or no Darryl Sutter, than this would have been ok.

From reading about Peters, he is more of a X's and O'S guy, so was GG. I think someone like Darryl Sutter would have been better because he more of a motivator and a hard coach(this is some thing that this team needs now.)

We have a very good core(yes, pieces needed to added and subtracted from it), I hope with Peters we are not wasting anymore years of this core, we have already wasted 2 with GG.

Last edited:

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary

I think there's a difference between faceoffs being important, and the faceoff percentage stat being important. How you follow a lost faceoff or a non-clean win is more important than whether you won 55% of your faceoffs or 48% of your faceoffs. I think everybody agrees the actual details around faceoffs are crucial. Some just think the stat itself is garbage.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
One thing I'm seriously curious about though is this: Who supports the new HC? There's no damn way Treliving jumps on a guy like Peters without a backup plan IMO. I think he tries what he did with Gully, but more heavy handed.

IIRC, Gully was supposed to be worried that another former head coach (Cameron) could oust him if he truly struggled and failed. Except... Gully never was in a situation to be worried about Cameron.

What if we're literally staring at a "why not both?" combination of 3-4 guys with HC experience?

Imagine if part of the situation is throwing a dart at two of the following names:

AC
Sutter
Tippett
Ruff
Peters

then adding someone else as the last assistant.

If that's the case, I would consider:
Sutter
Peters
Tippett

As the finalists under the assumption all 3 guys are willing to take salaries around 1.5-2 mil. (this adding to the theory about how ownership might not want to pay for a coach).

tmurfin

That’s the joke
May 8, 2010
One thing I'm seriously curious about though is this: Who supports the new HC? There's no damn way Treliving jumps on a guy like Peters without a backup plan IMO. I think he tries what he did with Gully, but more heavy handed.

IIRC, Gully was supposed to be worried that another former head coach (Cameron) could oust him if he truly struggled and failed. Except... Gully never was in a situation to be worried about Cameron.

What if we're literally staring at a "why not both?" combination of 3-4 guys with HC experience?

Imagine if part of the situation is throwing a dart at two of the following names:

AC
Sutter
Tippett
Ruff
Peters

then adding someone else as the last assistant.

If that's the case, I would consider:
Sutter
Peters
Tippett

As the finalists under the assumption all 3 guys are willing to take salaries around 1.5-2 mil. (this adding to the theory about how ownership might not want to pay for a coach).

Way too many cooks in the kitchen. I’ve always preferred HC’s to bring in their own AC’s, they usually already have past chemistry and mesh well. Coaches that butt heads is no bueno for the the future.

As for this possible hire. No comment. I refuse to get my hopes up, or be bummed out, until I see an on ice product. Been burned far too many times.

Last edited:

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I think everyone needs to step back and look at the bigger picture. Even if peters is a lateral move...we got rid of dave “the PP guru” Cameron. That is truly a case of addition by subtraction.

Thank f***ing christ that muppet is gone. The man who featured Gaudreau(a LHS diminutive playmaker) in the Ovechkin, Stamkos, Laine snipers position on a umbrella powerplay that never failed to take no less than 30 seconds to get anything on net.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
My mind is still blown at the sheer amount of people who want Darryl Sutter back.

Look at Kopitar without him, 92 points. Look at Dustin "the bum" Brown, got 60 points after looking like he was done in the league. Doughty a career high 60 points. I understand Sutter won 2 cups with them, but both times they barely got in the playoffs and they played a very heavy style which would never suit the Flames with either the D or the F group. Just because Sutter had success with the Flames four-freaking-teen years ago, doesn't mean it will happen again.

Like if you're going to hate on Peters then claim to want Sutter, I just don't know what to say. I like Sutter as well, but I don't believe he would be a good fit for this team.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
My mind is still blown at the sheer amount of people who want Darryl Sutter back.

Look at Kopitar without him, 92 points. Look at Dustin "the bum" Brown, got 60 points after looking like he was done in the league. Doughty a career high 60 points. I understand Sutter won 2 cups with them, but both times they barely got in the playoffs and they played a very heavy style which would never suit the Flames with either the D or the F group. Just because Sutter had success with the Flames four-freaking-teen years ago, doesn't mean it will happen again.

Like if you're going to hate on Peters then claim to want Sutter, I just don't know what to say. I like Sutter as well, but I don't believe he would be a good fit for this team.

What kind of numbers do you think will our players have under Peters?

His teams are the least penalized teams in the league, will this have a affect on Tkachuk's game?

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Thank ****ing christ that muppet is gone. The man who featured Gaudreau(a LHS diminutive playmaker) in the Ovechkin, Stamkos, Laine snipers position on a umbrella powerplay that never failed to take no less than 30 seconds to get anything on net.

Carolina under Peters has been near the bottom of the league in special team so dont get your hope up too high

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Carolina under Peters has been near the bottom of the league in special team so dont get your hope up too high

Not all special teams.

The prior two seasons, the Canes were one of the best teams in the league on the PK and that's even with the league's worst goaltending. This year they fell off, but in general, they've been a good PK team. If you sum together all of Peter's 4 years, the Canes have the 5th best PK% in the NHL during that stretch, while having some of the worst goaltending in the NHL.

PP I agree with though. It has been the opposite as they are 6th worst over that same stretch of 4 years, but did improve a little this season. I'm not sure how much of that is coaching vs. lack of skill though as most teams run the PP almost the same way. Until Aho showed up and Teravainen started improving, the Canes had virtually no skill on the PP. Jordan Staal has hands of stone. Skinner is such a 1 man show that he's not overly effective on the PP. Lindholm is decent making plays down low, but that was about it. Faulk has a bomb from the point, but teams started taking that away and he hasn't been the same since his injury a couple years ago.

It was easy to defend the Canes on the PP, just pressure the puck where-ever it is because there was nobody you had to worry about beating you with skill. It's gotten a bit better with Aho and TT this year, but until/unless they get more skill, the PP is never going to be great.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
If they’re looking at hiring a PP coach (rather than leaving that to the new coach) who should be the one to target?

I’m thinking one of the college guys I mentioned earlier or even the Marlies coach. Assuming they’d accept such a role.

It also leaves the door open to some consistency should Peters fail.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Either they're scared of somebody else hiring him or Treliving has the guy he wanted and wanted bad.

Brad Treliving strikes me as an analytical and methodical man. Wouldn't be surprised if he's been planning this for a while. Certainly will never be described as gun shy, time will tell if that's a good thing or not.

I heard Friedman on the radio mention Peters to Calgary almost 2 months ago. At that time it was purely his speculation, but he noted the relationship Peters and Treliving had and thought their could be something there. Turns out, it looks like he was correct and that’s why I like Friedman so much.

I’m also confused by many people’s comments, that Peters is a lateral move to Gully..

Why is that? Because both play a possession style of system? I’ve got news for you, pretty much every modern system is based on possession metrics. It’s style of hockey that Treliving believes in you need to play today to be successful (he’s been quoted as saying such and it’s why he fired Hartley) and it’s obvious to me that he heavily believes in Peter’s style that he coaches.

From what we’ve heard from Carolina posters, Peter’s system sounds largely different from Gully’s. It’s entirely feasible to me that Dougie takes another step under this coach and becomes a top 3 scoring dman. I think it’s logical to suggest to Brodie returns to his previous levels, we see increased production from both Gio moderate improvement from Hamonic. I also like the thought of Peters getting his hands on Rasmus, Valimaki and Fox.

Honestly I don’t think a single person in Calgary heard much about Slavin and Pesce before they entered the NHL. Slavin has been referred to as the leagues most underrated superstar by media types. Our organizational strength is defensive depth so I love the thought of Peters for that reason. Gully on the other hand neutered our defensive players and other Dougie, all saw massive production drops in their numbers. Our teams best depth is on D and it always bothered me greatly that Gully did not take advantage of this the way Hartley did. Know what your assets are and bloody use them!

I also won’t mind the line juggling bit, at least at first. We never saw any of this under Gully. Monahan was married to Gaudreau and Backlund to Frolik and Tkachuk. What would a Backlund, Tkachuk and Gaudreau line look like? What would a Bennett, Monahan or Tkachuk line look like? None of us have any idea because it was never tried. So sure the coaches play a possession system, but that’s where the similarities stop IMO. I also love Peters demeanour and think he’s the exact type of coach this soft group needs. I’m really excited for his hiring.

Reactions: Bounces R Way

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011

Lot of good those numbers did them in the post season...

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Darryl has a shelf life 3-4 years. He is always highly effective at everywhere he goes in the beginning phases and the Kings were the perfect roster for him to go there and win the Cup.

I like Darryl, I think he would be good for this team. But I like where Treliving has taken this team in all areas and I would be more happy with Peters. Plus and him and Peters Drive In would make for memes on here.

Reactions: Janks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad