Speculation: Next Head Coach of the Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

lightstorm

Oct 17, 2016
Sounds like a system designed to get the most out of his roster. When you look at the Canes are you impressed with their elite forward talent? No. Are you impressed with the quality and quantity of their scoring depth? Also no. Are you impressed with their great goaltending who they can lean on to stop dangerous chances? Definitely not. Are you impressed with all the star power they have on the blue line? Nope. Their highest paid player is Jordan Staal. This is a budget team that is bottom 5 in terms of talent. You can't squeeze blood from a stone.

What they have is a young and mobile back end. A young and mobile back end that has from all reports flourished under his direction.

In a lot of ways they were actually unfortunate to have Peters as their coach. He kept them from a high pick and the kind of talent that might change their franchise's fortunes. You're also acting like Monahan and Gaudreau didn't set career highs this year playing a similar system. Peter's approach to coaching the Hurricanes and what his approach to coaching the Flames will be are also two different things.

Are we talking about a guy who turned Eric Staal into a 10 goal player?

Peters may legit be a downgrade from GG, as shocking as that sounds.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown

Maybe he will be. In which case you'll get your wish and Treliving will be fired.

Either way seems pretty small to discredit and discount him before he's even announced as the head coach of your favourite hockey team.

ce2.png

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
Pretty sure you posted the same BP quip three times in a 24 hour span. Without actually attempting to make a point, that comes off as the same kind of "hurr durr Boston Pizza Treliving lol" analysis we've come to expect from HFOil.

Like you said, there are other coaches available. That he is moving fast to bring in this coach tells you that he prefers this coach over those coaches, or else those coaches don't want to coach here. There is approximately 0 chance that he hasn't given consideration to every single option to fill the position. That's his job.

If you read my posts, you will see my points and why I made the BP references. I am not happy the way this coaching hire was made(I might not be alone here), I think Brad Trevling should have taken a little bit longer(maybe Brad Trevling was scared that Peters might be snatched up by another team) and really did a thorough search to see what other options were out there. Peters is coming from a losing team, this is what worries me, he may not have had all the resources but he really never helped that team over the hump. The big thing that bugs me is that there some coaches that had won in the NHL and were available and we went with a coach that has never made the playoffs.

All the information I got from Carolina Hurricanes fans and what I read about Peters points toward him not being a good coach, he has most of problems that GG had.

I will be watching the world championship in May a lot closer(especially team Canada because Peters is the head coach of team) and see what things I can pickup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cyrano

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Other than the memorial cup, the others aren't really that important. The reason I feel this is rushed is because we could have waited a bit longer and there would have been more options and maybe better options. Had there been no AV or no Darryl Sutter, than this would have been ok.

From reading about Peters, he is more of a X's and O'S guy, so was GG. I think someone like Darryl Sutter would have been better because he more of a motivator and a hard coach(this is some thing that this team needs now.)

We have a very good core(yes, pieces needed to added and subtracted from it), I hope with Peters we are not wasting anymore years of this core, we have already wasted 2 with GG.
So basically your complaint is you aren't getting who you wanted. Both Sutter and AV were options before Peters was available.

Treliving is known for doing his due diligence, we've all heard how he's always talking to other organizations in regards to available players. There is zero reason to think he hasn't done the same when it comes to coaches. As I stated, if we have known Gully was on thin ice for months, Treliving has known as long or longer. I wouldn't be shocked if Tre went into this season knowing he would be changing the coach if certain criteria wasn't met. There is no reason to think that Treliving didn't do the leg work to find the guy he thinks will be the best fit for this team.

Like I said above, I have Vigneault on my list ahead of Peters too but I'm not going to panic and pretend like he didn't do his leg work when I didn't get the coach I wanted.

In regards to Sutter, I think he is an awful fit for this team. Our defense (and team in general) is far too soft to fit the style of play he likes to employ. Also since goal scoring is an issue, employing a coach known to have lower scoring teams, doesn't seem like the right fit.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
If you read my posts, you will see my points and why I made the BP references.

False. Nothing in your posts makes any kind of connection to running a pizza restaurant/sports bar. You explain why you don't like the hire, sure. But what does that have to do with Boston Pizza?

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
False. Nothing in your posts makes any kind of connection to running a pizza restaurant/sports bar. You explain why you don't like the hire, sure. But what does that have to do with Boston Pizza?
Apparently you have to be bad at business to run a restaurant?

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
I will be watching the world championship in May a lot closer(especially team Canada because Peters is the head coach of team) and see what things I can pickup.

If Peters has been hired/still looks to be the frontrunner we should definitely have a WC GDT

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Yeah. Also the same guy that coached 20 year old Aho, who got 65pts in 78 games. I can do that to.

Slightly different, there is proof that Eric Staal is not a 10 goal scorer without Peters

There is no proof that Aho cant be what he is or maybe even better without Peters

Just saying....

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Slightly different, there is proof that Eric Staal is not a 10 goal scorer without Peters

There is no proof that Aho cant be what he is or maybe even better without Peters

Just saying....
Staal was also a 23 goal scorer with Peters and in the year he had 10 with Carolina, he did equally as poor with the Rangers. But hey, why let facts get in the way of your narrative

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
BT is a defense first guy, Bill Peters is a defense coach. That's the love interest.

Problem is they both suck at the offense side. And while the Flames defensemen are great, they are too soft and not the shutdown type that can make up for the lack of offense.

Maybe BT can some how find some offense help this off season but I doubt he can learn a new trick..we probably get another Brouwer soon

I will probably get a lot of hate for this but I sense these things and it wont be the first time.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Staal was also a 23 goal scorer with Peters and in the year he had 10 with Carolina, he did equally as poor with the Rangers. But hey, why let facts get in the way of your narrative

The Rangers sample is too small to be a stats. [mod]

Eric Staal is clearly a better player without Bill Peters. It's more like it doesnt fit your narrative lol

Last edited by a moderator:

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
The Rangers sample is too small to be a stats. [mod]

Eric Staal is clearly a better player without Bill Peters. It's more like it doesnt fit your narrative lol
No, Staal is clearly a better player on a team with more offensive support. I noticed you completely ignore the fact that Staal had 23 under Peters in Peters 1st year with the Canes. As for that small sample size, while small, he still never produced and by all accounts looked so bad people were declaring his career over. But yes, keep blaming the coach, not the fact he was with a f***ing terrible team with zero offensive weapons.

Last edited by a moderator:

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
Sounds like a system designed to get the most out of his roster. When you look at the Canes are you impressed with their elite forward talent? No. Are you impressed with the quality and quantity of their scoring depth?

Carolina forwards are not great but they are not that much less than Calgary as people here like you to believe.

Aho is not as good as Gaudreau but he is legit top line player

Skinner can score just as well as Monahan

Tkachuk will be a better player but at this point he is not producing more than Teravainen

Jordan Staal and Michael Backlund are pretty much the same

Lindholm is better than Bennett

Justin Williams is better than Ferland

Rask is better than Frolik

Ryan and their depth is better

So it's fault so say that Peters lack of success will change with better forwards in Calgary.

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
No, Staal is clearly a better player on a team with more offensive support. I noticed you completely ignore the fact that Staal had 23 under Peters in Peters 1st year with the Canes. As for that small sample size, while small, he still never produced and by all accounts looked so bad people were declaring his career over. But yes, keep blaming the coach, not the fact he was with a ****ing terrible team with zero offensive weapons.

Some of what you say is true but you have no leg to stand on with the argument that Staal is the better player now3 yrs older without Peters.

As for Carolina's weapon. Yes it's bad but it's not like he is coming to an offensive powerhouse in Calgary

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Some of what you say is true but you have no leg to stand on with the argument that Staal is the better player now3 yrs older without Peters.

As for Carolina's weapon. Yes it's bad but it's not like he is coming to an offensive powerhouse in Calgary
I never said he was. But using 1 season for 1 player as an argument why he shouldn't be hired is beyond moronic.

JPeeper

Hail Satan!
Jan 4, 2015
Are we talking about a guy who turned Eric Staal into a 10 goal player?

Are we talking about the guy who took Pesce, Slavin, Hanifin and turned them all into stud d-men. Ended the year with Fleury-McKeown (young as f) on the bottom pairing, the entire d-core was either 21,23, or 26 years old.

Aho and Teuvo took huge steps.

But lets look at the 1 player who declined under him and has been declining since his sophomore year a decade ago.

Reactions: snipetype

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary

Just saying....

Tbh, Staal is of no concern to me. He’s a guy that played his whole career in Carolina and clearly needed a change of scenery. The only guy in Calgary we have in a similar situation is Gio and he’s still performing at a high level and he’s a dman.

I look more at guys like Lindholm, Tuevo, Aho, Skinner being that our core is younger. All these guys are younger players and produced well for Peters. Backlund will be used like Jordan so I expect similar totals for those players.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
So basically your complaint is you aren't getting who you wanted. Both Sutter and AV were options before Peters was available.

Treliving is known for doing his due diligence, we've all heard how he's always talking to other organizations in regards to available players. There is zero reason to think he hasn't done the same when it comes to coaches. As I stated, if we have known Gully was on thin ice for months, Treliving has known as long or longer. I wouldn't be shocked if Tre went into this season knowing he would be changing the coach if certain criteria wasn't met. There is no reason to think that Treliving didn't do the leg work to find the guy he thinks will be the best fit for this team.

Like I said above, I have Vigneault on my list ahead of Peters too but I'm not going to panic and pretend like he didn't do his leg work when I didn't get the coach I wanted.

In regards to Sutter, I think he is an awful fit for this team. Our defense (and team in general) is far too soft to fit the style of play he likes to employ. Also since goal scoring is an issue, employing a coach known to have lower scoring teams, doesn't seem like the right fit.

The more I think about Peters, the more I am going into the be patient and wait see mode. I would have loved AV but the more I think about Peters the more I think give him a chance. The team will need to get off to a good start, if we get off to a struggling start and it continues into November than the pitchfork s will come out. I think I am caustiously optimistic.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008

At that point, I thought it was rushed and compared to someone running their dads Boston Pizza store, where the son running it just hires his buddy to be the manager instead someone experienced.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
If Peters has been hired/still looks to be the frontrunner we should definitely have a WC GDT

If Peters is announced as head on Monday like everyone is saying, I hope all Flames pay close attention to the WC and team Canada.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad