Speculation: Next Head Coach of the Calgary Flames

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
I want Michel Therrien, and I'm being dead serious.

Great playoff success. Won't experience the same venom here as he did in Montreal. If you look closely, the Habs did worse after firing him, not better.

Others with NHL experience who I wouldn't hate:
Lindy Ruff - top choice for me, but I think he's the NYR next head coach.
Darryl Sutter - (insert the "Larry David meh" gif here)
Barry Trotz - if he's unemployed after this season, of course.

Other potential candidates outside of the NHL that would be interesting:
Sheldon Keefe - presently head coach of the Toronto Marlies.
Jim Montgomery - Denver, quite successful.
David Quinn - Boston University and team USA. Also quite successful.

Obvious "of course the Flames did that" options:
Dave Tippett - current employee (no he isn't lol) former Coyote.
Bill Peters - because of the inexplicable smoke.

Last edited:

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
Dave Tippett - current employee, former Coyote.

Are you maybe thinking of Maloney? Tippett isn't involved with the Flames right now to my knowledge.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
While at the Red Wings from 2011-14, Peters was responsible for coaching the PK and their defensive game

In those three seasons Detroit's PK was 18th, 12th, and 12th

Their GA in the league was 7th, 5th, and 16th

terry01

Mar 15, 2018
sub'd to this threadhttp://:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:/buluhidung/35/o.png

Calculon

unholy acting talent
Jan 20, 2006
Error 503
Friedman | Peters likely the guy for Flames

“I don’t think it comes as a huge surprise, but I do think it’s something that the Calgary Flames and their organization did wrestle with quite a bit,” said Friedman. “If you watched Brad Treliving’s press conference I think there was a lot about, ‘Do we really think it’s fair to hang this season on the coaching staff.’

“And I don’t think they wanted to do that, but I think ultimately you have to do what you think is best and I think that Treliving just felt that while it wasn’t entirely Glen Gulutzan’s fault, I think he just decided at the end of the day that that’s one of the moves he’s going to make.

“Brad Treliving won a gold medal at the world championships with Bill Peters. And I know there’s a lot of talk about Darryl Sutter and I think Darryl Sutter is a favorite of ownership. I think there potentially are some other candidates.

“But I think at this point in time if you were asking me to say who my No. 1 candidate for the job would be, it would be Bill Peters, who has to let the Carolina Hurricanes know his intentions by Friday or his window closes. I think he’s likely the guy.”
The question was posed to Friedman if Peters would be “kind of the exact same type of hire” that Gulutzan was for the Flames.

“I think they’re very different personalities,” countered Friedman. “Gulutzan is more of a relaxed guy. He showed some intensity at times, but I think in his case he was doing it more to drive up the team. When I think of Gulutzan as a person, he’s one of the nicest guys I’ve ever met. He’s relaxed, he’s passionate, but he’s got more of an ease to him.

“Peters is intense. Peters is blunt. He’s a bit of Babcock light. He’s the kind of guy who one of his biggest challenges in a Canadian market will be you know what, you can’t always give the most blunt answer because it becomes a headline or something that gets used on your team. That’s one of the things that he’ll have to be careful of if he does get that job.
One name lurking in the proverbial coaching weeds is Dave Tippett, and Friedman was asked where the veteran bench boss might fit on teams’ wish lists.

“It’s a good question,” contemplated the Insider. “I’ve got to think Tippett in Dallas could be a possibility. It would be interesting. How many teams would have hired old coaches twice in a row, you go from Hitchcock to Tippett. I think that would be something. But I’ve got to think he’s on the radar there.

“I’ve got to think if Edmonton makes a switch, he would be on the radar there. I don’t think he would be on the radar in Calgary. But I’ve got to think in one of these situations – maybe Dallas or potentially Edmonton if they do make a change – I think Tippett would be there.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
I have to say, I know nothing of Peters. But if he's more of an intense Gulutzan, it wouldn't be a bad thing. Gully was on right the track, he just couldn't pull the right strings.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Part of the reason why the fans were so upset with Peters this season was the way he handled the lines on a game-by-game basis. The Canes rarely had the same line combinations for two consecutive contests. That lack of chemistry could also be blamed on Peters, but that’s not completely fair.
Some forwards like Jeff Skinner, Justin Williams, and Elias Lindholm, have a ton of talent and bounced around between different line combinations all season. Peters did find some solid trios including the TSA line and Valentin Zykov, Teuvo Teravainen, and Sebastian Aho (at the end of the season).
Out of all the players that were bounced around by Peters this season, Skinner might have the biggest qualm with his roster management. Skinner saw his goal total decrease from 37 in 2016-17, to 24 in 2017-18. A lot of that is due to him playing on the third line most of the way.
Carolina Hurricanes: 3 reasons Bill Peters opting out could be a good thing

Yet, things went poorly from the start for Darling against Edmonton. On 30 shots on goal, Darling let seven get past him. His already sub .900 save percentage should now drop below .890. He had a very rough stretch through the second period, and Peters left him in net.
For a team that had a goalie like Cam Ward on the bench, turning to him at the point where Darling gave up the fifth and sixth goals seemed like an obvious move. But, Peters did nothing. Moreover, Peters made way too many line switches as the game went along.
Even for a coach like Peters that became known for juggling lines, this was extreme. Frequently, the lines were completely different on every shift, outside of the top forward line. Peters went back to Jordan Staal, Sebastian Aho, and Teuvo Teravainen on the first line.
The energy coming out of the locker room was not there after either intermission too. Carolina definitely had their chance to stay in the game, but the lack of energy, effort, and motivation cost the Canes on yet another occasion.
Carolina Hurricanes: Bill Peters doesn’t care

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
To me, this reads like Friedman's personal musings more than inside information. I think Peters is probably a candidate, but I don't think the Flames will hire him before seeing who else hits the market.

For what it's worth, I've read a lot in the past about Bill Peters being a good coach. It's kind of hard to assess whether the Hurricanes would've been a playoff team this season with NHL-level goaltending. It would be an underwhelming hire if it was indeed him, but by no means do I think it would be hopeless.

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
Just look at how much time and continuity Capuano was given in order to achieve those results, though. We're replacing Gulutzan and in doing so indicating that we aren't wanting to wait around with a coach who will slowly get this team to where it needs to go as Capuano did on Long Island. Like, let's be realistic here. They don't trust Gulutzan to do the job here, but by no means is it case closed that he wouldn't end up with exactly the same kind of track record as Capuano if he did stay for 4 more seasons. I just don't see him as a big step up.

The Islanders wete rebuilding when Capuano came in. The Flames have a roster they rightfully feel shpuld be in the division race. Bit of a difference.

That bit about line blemders doesn't bother me. Gulutzan's stagnant lines were the worst.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
I want Michel Therrien, and I'm being dead serious.

Great playoff success. Won't experience the same venom here as he did in Montreal. If you look closely, the Habs did worse after firing him, not better.

Others with NHL experience who I wouldn't hate:
Lindy Ruff - top choice for me, but I think he's the NYR next head coach.
Darryl Sutter - (insert the "Larry David meh" gif here)
Barry Trotz - if he's unemployed after this season, of course.

Other potential candidates outside of the NHL that would be interesting:
Sheldon Keefe - presently head coach of the Toronto Marlies.
Jim Montgomery - Denver, quite successful.
David Quinn - Boston University and team USA. Also quite successful.

Dave Tippett - current employee (no he isn't lol) former Coyote.

Sheldon Keefe would be a fantastic hire in my opinion, I understand Treliving has already commented on how NHL experience will be viewed as a positive but one of these three or a similar candidate from the AHL or NCAA should be considered for an assistant position at the very least. Bob Motzko who coached the world junior team last year for the US might be able to get something out of the young players.

Don't get the Trotz love, he's never really won anywhere. Couldn't get it done with an absolutely stacked Capitals team. What makes anyone think he'd be able to do better with the Calgary Flames? Would prefer Peters. Coaches who have 20 years and a bunch of teams under their belt in the NHL I question how invested they would be, especially coaching a team like the Flames that is streaky by nature. Bring in someone who can innovate and adapt. As much as Gulutzan flamed out, I don't think there was anything fundamentally wrong with hiring a younger coach to grow with the team. Glen was soft from what I saw, whoever they hire next needs to be demanding of players and be more consistent.

Flames Fanatic

Mediocre
Aug 14, 2008
Cochrane
Sheldon Keefe would be a fantastic hire in my opinion, I understand Treliving has already commented on how NHL experience will be viewed as a positive but one of these three or a similar candidate from the AHL or NCAA should be considered for an assistant position at the very least. Bob Motzko who coached the world junior team last year for the US might be able to get something out of the young players.

Don't get the Trotz love, he's never really won anywhere. Couldn't get it done with an absolutely stacked Capitals team. What makes anyone think he'd be able to do better with the Calgary Flames? Would prefer Peters. Coaches who have 20 years and a bunch of teams under their belt in the NHL I question how invested they would be, especially coaching a team like the Flames that is streaky by nature. Bring in someone who can innovate and adapt. As much as Gulutzan flamed out, I don't think there was anything fundamentally wrong with hiring a younger coach to grow with the team. Glen was soft from what I saw, whoever they hire next needs to be demanding of players and be more consistent.

To be fair, the Caps have been a strong team for close to a decade now and didn't get anything done before him either.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Trotz has never won anywhere? He's won a ton. Went to the Capitals and made them the best team in the league for two years in a row. People thought that roster was depleted to the point of being a wild-card team this year and he won the division anyway. The guy clearly has a working system that wins games. You can point to playoffs all you want, but playoffs are a fickle thing and it would be foolish to ignore overall success just because of a run of bad results in the playoffs.

Even if I was to agree that playoff results are somehow predictive in nature, I think this team would benefit from being regular season beasts for a few seasons just to build those habits. If a new coach actually did need to be brought in to get over the next hump because curses are real and Trotz is actually cursed, then so be it.

Jagr4President

Nov 16, 2017
Calgary
I would want trotz, thrien ( I can't spell his name right now) or Sutter but I think we really need to bring up our Stockton heat coach as a assistant to the new coach for he can be our coach for the future.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
To be fair, the Caps have been a strong team for close to a decade now and didn't get anything done before him either.

So him being brought in to take a great team over the top and failing is a... positive?

Trotz has never won anywhere? He's won a ton. Went to the Capitals and made them the best team in the league for two years in a row. People thought that roster was depleted to the point of being a wild-card team this year and he won the division anyway. The guy clearly has a working system that wins games. You can point to playoffs all you want, but playoffs are a fickle thing and it would be foolish to ignore overall success just because of a run of bad results in the playoffs.

Even if I was to agree that playoff results are somehow predictive in nature, I think this team would benefit from being regular season beasts for a few seasons just to build those habits. If a new coach actually did need to be brought in to get over the next hump because curses are real and Trotz is actually cursed, then so be it.

Never been out of the second round. They were the best team two years in a row because they had the best roster. I'm not saying the guy sucks and shouldn't get another HC job, and if experience is really all that matters then well he sure has a lot of it, so I'm sure he will. Disagree totally with looking for a stop gap coach, the kind with a short shelf life(Ruff, Sutter, Tippett,Trotz could all fall under this designation), why hire a guy on the pretense of firing him when he gets the team to where management thinks it should be. The kind of cache and respect these coaches get doesn't go on forever and is honestly just repeating past mistakes (Brent Sutter, Mike Keenan, Bob Hartley).

This is a make it or break it decision Treliving has in front of him, and will likely dictate whether his legacy is fondly remembered as a great GM or as yet another good not good enough chapter of the Calgary Flames.

Last edited:

Dack

Jun 16, 2014
The Hurricanes had the last place save percentage and the 28th placed shooting percentage. It's almost impossible to make the playoffs with those kinds of numbers. Some of that may be Peters system but I think it's fair to say nothing went right for his Hurricanes.

Reactions: Vali Maki Sushi

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
Carolina skated circles around us at the Dome this season. Then again, a lot of teams did

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad