Speculation: Next Blue to have their number retired?

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
DP57

With the team 3x
Likes being here
Stanley Cup

No Petro…he fled…after we made him a VERY GOOD offer. His number can hang from the rafters in Vegas. It’s pretty empty there, so it should liven up the place.
Kind of like Brett Hull, right, who never won a SC in St. Louis? And spurned the team for a better offer because he got a NTC and $2 mil. more from Dallas.

By that logic, he shouldn’t have his number retired either.

Reactions: Celtic Note

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
I wildly disagree with all of these, but comparing eras is essentially impossible so I'm not going to get into the weeds comparing players separated by multiple decades and eras.

But the Parayko comment is ludicrous. Parayko is 28 and turns 29 in a few months. He's 3 years younger than Petro. He's never earned a single vote for Norris, never topped 35 points, never went to the World Junior, never represented Canada at a best-on-best tournament, and so far has not demonstrated that he can be an effective #1 D man. This is Petro's 11th straight season playing 24+ minutes a night. This is Parayko's first season doing it and he is getting caved in. His high prior to this season was 23:00 a night.

You have no idea what you are watching on the ice if you believe that Parayko's career performance is even remotely comparable to Petro's. Petro was considered a top 5-15 D man for nearly a decade here. Parayko briefly cracked some top 20 lists and has since fallen out of all of them.

I respect Bob Plager for what he meant to the organization and the city, but he was not the same caliber of player as Parayko.

Neither were Barclay Plager and Ramage when comparing to Pietrangelo.

The only numbers I can see being retired due to their longevity, performance, and what they mean to the organization currently are 20(Steen), 42 (Backes), 27 (Pietrangelo). Jackman has as much of an argument as Plager does for 5 being retired.

Tarasenko and Perron could also have their numbers retired depending on how long they stay with the organization as well.

We can agree to disagree.

Parayko is clearly the better defensive player, Petro is more in the two way mode, mostly focused on being a PMD. They are on quite similar levels if you look at them by the end of their careers.

Barclay and Ramage were likely better players. One is a defensive D-man that cannot be compared to Petro directly, the other had somewhat similar of a career. And both played in an era with far better competition, not like the watered down 32 teams that we have right now.

EastVillageBlues

Feb 18, 2019
DP57

With the team 3x
Likes being here
Stanley Cup

No Petro…he fled…after we made him a VERY GOOD offer. His number can hang from the rafters in Vegas. It’s pretty empty there, so it should liven up the place.

Yeah, retiring Petro's number is almost like the Senators retiring Yashin's number. Even if it would be justified on purely performance considerations, it's just a kick in the teeth to the fan-base.

AjaxManifesto

Pro sports is becoming predictable and boring
Mar 9, 2016
St. Louis
Kind of like Brett Hull, right, who never won a SC in St. Louis? And spurned the team for a better offer because he got a NTC and $2 mil. more from Dallas.

Petro is dead to me. Ask in 10 years and I might think differently.

ArenaRat

Jan 19, 2022
Nola
Pietrangelo would only not go up out of pettiness. He captained the only Cup winner and scored its GWG. He was the team's best defenseman for a decade and anchored a return from the dregs of missing playoffs to perennial playoff contention. Why even have jerseys go up if you're going to snub one of the best players the franchise has ever had and its only winner. The dude was on the ice for 18 of the Blues' 20 shots in Game 7. Imagine if they hadn't had him, they don't even sniff the Cup. The Cup is the most important thing to happen to the franchise in its history, by a lot. The team is still not a true contender because they lack a player like him. This is the definition of impact. This is a champion who's going into the Hall of Fame. I would throw up if they let someone else wear 27.
This thread -- and this response in particular -- finally motivated me to sign up after many years just reading. PocketNines nailed it. And this is coming from a Blues fan who doesn't begrudge the team for 27's departure.

Reactions: HighNote

TheDizee

Trade Jordan Kyrou ASAP | ALWAYS RIGHT
Apr 5, 2014
also since i have not given my official stance on retiring 27, i will go ahead and make it official:

no-bugs-bunny.gif

No personal hardware and left the city bc of dollars. We thank him for his service and we can celebrate his cup victory down the road but under no circumstance will his number be retired unless he dedicates his post playing career to the Note. We dodged a major bullet not overpaying for him as it has allowed us to further increase our depth around the lineup but that is a story for another thread.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Club ran Hull out of town. Made no real effort to re-sign him. They offered Petro richest contract in franchise history and he turned it down.
Hull had plenty of say in being run out of town. He wasn’t exactly out for anyone else but himself. There was a reason many called him the golden brat.

Reactions: Louie the Blue

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
also since i have not given my official stance on retiring 27, i will go ahead and make it official:

no-bugs-bunny.gif

No personal hardware and left the city bc of dollars. We thank him for his service and we can celebrate his cup victory down the road but under no circumstance will his number be retired unless he dedicates his post playing career to the Note. We dodged a major bullet not overpaying for him as it has allowed us to further increase our depth around the lineup but that is a story for another thread.
Cool, so Brett Hull shouldn’t have his number retired either since he left for more money and better terms in addition to never winning a SC in STL.

Federko, Pronger, MacInnis, Sutter, and the Plagers. No one else.

Reactions: Ridge1982

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Cool, so Brett Hull shouldn’t have his number retired either since he left for more money and better terms in addition to never winning a SC in STL.

Federko, Pronger, MacInnis, Sutter, and the Plagers. No one else.
No.

hull won personal hardware including a league mvp

Next.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I wouldn't be surprised if they retire 27, but I don't see it happening with the current management/ownership group.

TheDizee

Apr 5, 2014
Hull never led the team to a SCF appearance and forced his own way out.
What does that have to do with anything?

Having your jersey retired is a individual award, not a team award.

Last I checked 27 did not win a cup by himself. He does not have the personal hardware or accomplishments to warrant a jersey retirement nor does he have the lifetime service since he left the team over petty money issues.

Reactions: Blueston

ChicagoBlues

Sentient
Oct 24, 2006
David Perron should be the next one.

He 100% Bleeds Blue and farts Chuck Berry tunes.

The Quebecois Kid loves Frenchy St. Louis.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010

Last I checked 27 did not win a cup by himself. He does not have the personal hardware or accomplishments to warrant a jersey retirement nor does he have the lifetime service since he left the team over petty money issues.
When I go to a hockey game, I don’t go to see individual players.

I go because I like to see the team I support win.

I’d rather have 0 Hart, Rocket, Vezina, and Norris the rest of my life if it meant the Blues won the SC every season.

Reactions: TheDizee

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland

I view Pietro's game was one of the biggest reason why we won a Cup. Defense cornerstone and biggest piece. Cup team was build behind him. Coaching, playing style. Defensive first mentality.

HighNote

Just one more Cup
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
I'd say Pietrangelo deserves it. He was here for over a decade, was our #1 defenseman for nearly his entire time here, and was arguably the most important player overall for our Cup run. And his game 7 is among the best single game performances in Blues history, and it's obviously the most important. I understand why people don't feel right putting 27 in the rafters right now, but I can almost guarantee that after Pietrangelo retires, most of you will have warmed up to it.

However, it must be said that Pietrangelo is my favorite all time Blue, and has been for nearly a decade now. So there is bias. Regardless, the numbers and the results don't lie. Among Blues defenseman, he's 2nd in games played, 2nd in goals, 1st in assists, and 2nd in points. If you don't think those things warrant 27 being retired, then a Stanley Cup certainly puts him over the edge.

If Tarasenko decides to stay, and if his play going forward proves that the last few years were simply "a bump in the road," then he's got a real good shot (pun intended). He'd almost certainly slot right into 3rd all time in points and 3rd in goals (currently 159 points and 71 goals back). And him and Perron are the only current players with a real shot at sniffing 2nd or 3rd in games played.

O'Reilly could be in the discussion depending on how the rest of his career goes, but a lot of things would have to go right.

TL;DR: Pietrangelo should be, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, and Perron are in the picture, not so sure anyone else is.

BuLLeT1291

Dec 16, 2010
Tarasenko and Perron would be my 2 choices. Face it, since Hull we haven't had a player like 91 who there for awhile could change the entire outcome of a game by himself alone. We are past that now but he is proving he is nowhere near done. I just hope the issues this past offseason hasn't turned him sour and he still wants out.

Xerloris

reckless optimism
Jun 9, 2015
St.Louis

Without Brett Hull the Blues may not even be in St.Louis anymore. He put asses in the seats.

When I go to a hockey game, I don’t go to see individual players.

I go because I like to see the team I support win.

I’d rather have 0 Hart, Rocket, Vezina, and Norris the rest of my life if it meant the Blues won the SC every season.

When you have a player the likes of Hull, you root for the team but you go to see him put on a show.

I'd say Pietrangelo deserves it. He was here for over a decade, was our #1 defenseman for nearly his entire time here, and was arguably the most important player overall for our Cup run. And his game 7 is among the best single game performances in Blues history, and it's obviously the most important. I understand why people don't feel right putting 27 in the rafters right now, but I can almost guarantee that after Pietrangelo retires, most of you will have warmed up to it.

However, it must be said that Pietrangelo is my favorite all time Blue, and has been for nearly a decade now. So there is bias. Regardless, the numbers and the results don't lie. Among Blues defenseman, he's 2nd in games played, 2nd in goals, 1st in assists, and 2nd in points. If you don't think those things warrant 27 being retired, then a Stanley Cup certainly puts him over the edge.

If Tarasenko decides to stay, and if his play going forward proves that the last few years were simply "a bump in the road," then he's got a real good shot (pun intended). He'd almost certainly slot right into 3rd all time in points and 3rd in goals (currently 159 points and 71 goals back). And him and Perron are the only current players with a real shot at sniffing 2nd or 3rd in games played.

O'Reilly could be in the discussion depending on how the rest of his career goes, but a lot of things would have to go right.

TL;DR: Pietrangelo should be, Tarasenko, O'Reilly, and Perron are in the picture, not so sure anyone else is.

What the f*** are you talking about the last few years are a "bump in the road"? Do you mean his poor performance and stats? Cus the dude had serious medical issues and it's not like he just had a bad year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad