News Article: News & Notes XXXV: You no help me now, I say f*** you Jobu, I do it myself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canes

Oct 31, 2017
An Oblate Spheroid
I say we get ahead of the curve and get Emirates to be our title sponsor, rename PNC, Etihad Arena, and rake in that sweet, sweet Middle East oil money!
I think they would want to buy the team first. Canes become the Manchester City of the NHL.

Would love to hear the "Canes spend 100 million dollars a year on scouting alone, there should be a budget salary cap!" complaints.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Oh same. I just meant part of what made pro sports so cool to me as a kid was the cool names and logos. I don't think I'd have been nearly as interested in the Pepsis vs the FedEx or whatever it may be

In the long term, it just becomes another part of the soap opera to discuss. "That sponsor is shit and the deal is shit! Why can't we get a good sponsor like team X?"

LostInaLostWorld

Work?
Sponsor
Oct 25, 2016
Central City
In the long term, it just becomes another part of the soap opera to discuss. "That sponsor is shit and the deal is shit! Why can't we get a good sponsor like team X?"
Like this?

81gqSQLwwGL._AC_SX466_.jpg

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Read the article and it's basically just finalizing the 5 year lease extension that was agreed to before COVID that keeps the team here through 2029, though that might not be as strong as indicated. Buyouts scale down as the years progress if the team were to break lease as follows:

2024 - $31m termination fee
2025 - $20m termination fee
2026 - $12m termination fee
2027 - $6m termination fee
2028 - $3m termination fee
2029 - $0 termination fee

Also said we are looking to potentially break the PNC naming rights agreement and try to sign someone else as PNC is only paying $4m per year.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Yeah, can't say anything bad about that. The Canes are a regional team, not a Raleigh one, and a downtown arena would shut out a large chunk of the fanbase. The location is ideal, and the extensive parking serves the regional fanbase. Not to mention it just costs a lot to build a new arena, and that juice just isn't going to be worth the squeeze, even if you do think you're going to get some marginal gain from going downtown.

And PNC has great bones- the big wave of recent arena replacement was because a lot of arenas just couldn't accommodate large numbers of suites with good views without major structural changes, but PNC was built with them. The concourses are big, and we did just overhaul the locker room complex fairly recently, and unlike some arenas, PNC had the space for that. No obstructed views, etc. Really, as long as we stay on top of maintenance and keep the finishings updated, there's no reason to replace it until the next era of radically different arenas.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Read the article and it's basically just finalizing the 5 year lease extension that was agreed to before COVID that keeps the team here through 2029, though that might not be as strong as indicated. Buyouts scale down as the years progress if the team were to break lease as follows:

2024 - $31m termination fee
2025 - $20m termination fee
2026 - $12m termination fee
2027 - $6m termination fee
2028 - $3m termination fee
2029 - $0 termination fee

Also said we are looking to potentially break the PNC naming rights agreement and try to sign someone else as PNC is only paying $4m per year.

If Dundon was truthful about it being it being no big deal writing an $11M dollar check as Aho’s signing bonus, then these termination fees are more of an annoyance than a real deterrent.

I’m not worried and don’t think he’s looking to break the lease, just that there’s no much to stop him should he choose to.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, can't say anything bad about that. The Canes are a regional team, not a Raleigh one, and a downtown arena would shut out a large chunk of the fanbase. The location is ideal, and the extensive parking serves the regional fanbase. Not to mention it just costs a lot to build a new arena, and that juice just isn't going to be worth the squeeze, even if you do think you're going to get some marginal gain from going downtown.

I agree for the most part. The one thing working against PNC is that there’s nothing near the arena to foster any sort of nightlife, pre/post game fun, community, etc.,.

That worked in my favor when I was going to games with my kids as it rarely took me more than 20 minutes to be home post games, so there are trade offs.

Lambeau Field in Green Bay had a similar vibe as PNC. Lots of tailgating before games and not much around the arena do they created Titletown, a mixed use area with residential, hotels, business, retail, food/beverage, nightlife, etc.

Unfortunately, that won’t likely be able to happen at PNC, but it would be great because it would preserve the current ability to tailgate and central location, but add some things that are missing.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If Dundon was truthful about it being it being no big deal writing an $11M dollar check as Aho’s signing bonus, then these termination fees are more of an annoyance than a real deterrent.

I’m not worried and don’t think he’s looking to break the lease, just that there’s no much to stop him should he choose to.
Agreed. But at the same time, they're also not really paying a lease to play in the arena, so its still a sweetheart deal.

I think this has more to do with trying to pressure the city into building a downtown arena within the next 10 years, or at least to encourage enough nightlife growth around the current facilities to not make it an issue. I think the upcoming renovation plans for PNC are going to make or break it as a facility the Canes use for the next 20-30 years as opposed to moving downtown.

CanesUltimate11

Nov 24, 2008
Northern Virginia
I agree for the most part. The one thing working against PNC is that there’s nothing near the arena to foster any sort of nightlife, pre/post game fun, community, etc.,.

That worked in my favor when I was going to games with my kids as it rarely took me more than 20 minutes to be home post games, so there are trade offs.

Lambeau Field in Green Bay had a similar vibe as PNC. Lots of tailgating before games and not much around the arena do they created Titletown, a mixed use area with residential, hotels, business, retail, food/beverage, nightlife, etc.

Unfortunately, that won’t likely be able to happen at PNC, but it would be great because it would preserve the current ability to tailgate and central location, but add some things that are missing.

If they could figure out where to put it something like what Philly has at their sports complex would be good. Multiple restaurants and some bar/club type places if memory servers. It's setup in between all the stadiums. Also includes some outdoor concert and event space.

The Cordish Companies - Xfinity Live!

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Dundon did mention in a recent interview that developing the area around PNC is a bit of priority to him:

Q: You’re on the verge of finalizing the new lease for PNC Arena. What changes would you like to see with the arena the next couple of years?
A: “We’re hoping we can work with the city and county and do a development around PNC (Arena). I think we can make it a really unique entertainment area. That’s always been the goal and I think were going to get to work on that now.”

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Last I heard, the first goal is to build out more office space and then they want to expand the width of the lower concourse to add more dining and seating. Encourage more pre and post game engagement at the PNC.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
If they could figure out where to put it something like what Philly has at their sports complex would be good. Multiple restaurants and some bar/club type places if memory servers. It's setup in between all the stadiums. Also includes some outdoor concert and event space.

The Cordish Companies - Xfinity Live!
I am willing to die on this hill

040220_EMPTY_PNC-TEL_02.JPG

Everything in brick in the above picture should be a plaza between PNC Arena and Carter-Finley with development to build up bars and team stores for the Canes and NC State lining both sides. lower the street that crosses in front to an underground tunnel and make it a big gathering spot for football, basketball, and hockey throughout the year. Put a large screen inside the plaza and turn it into the official game watching facility for the Canes during the playoffs, or even NC State during the NCAA tournament. And go the extra mile and turn it into a hosting site for the Triangle to watch US Soccer during the World Cup (men's and women's).

The KC Power & Light District is exactly the kind of venue I'd be looking to emulate here:

kc-live-shot-1580677167.jpg

It would take all of one playoff run for that location to completely transform the gameday experience at Canes games for the better. And it doesn't need to compete with tailgating, you can market it as an extension of the tailgate scene.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I am willing to die on this hill

040220_EMPTY_PNC-TEL_02.JPG

Everything in brick in the above picture should be a plaza between PNC Arena and Carter-Finley with development to build up bars and team stores for the Canes and NC State lining both sides. lower the street that crosses in front to an underground tunnel and make it a big gathering spot for football, basketball, and hockey throughout the year. Put a large screen inside the plaza and turn it into the official game watching facility for the Canes during the playoffs, or even NC State during the NCAA tournament. And go the extra mile and turn it into a hosting site for the Triangle to watch US Soccer during the World Cup (men's and women's).

The KC Power & Light District is exactly the kind of venue I'd be looking to emulate here:

kc-live-shot-1580677167.jpg

It would take all of one playoff run for that location to completely transform the gameday experience at Canes games for the better. And it doesn't need to compete with tailgating, you can market it as an extension of the tailgate scene.

Long-term, this works as an expansion of the State Fairgrounds as well. You can use it for some of the weekend markets with easy-access parking right behind, and part of the state fair space as well.

That could get some Ag Department $$ to make the changes as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad