News Article: News & Notes XXXI: What the Fau... Foegele Will Happen This Season?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
How are the Yotes doing it? I wonder how many games they've won when only scoring two goals or less? @Boom Boom Apathy
whats-a-yute-judge-chamberlain-haller-in-my-cousin-vinny.png

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Great team defense and elite goaltending, that's how.

They also lead the league in SO wins with 5 and have 4 OTL points as well. Carolina has 2 SO wins and 1 OTL point for comparison.

I haven't watched them much, but

GF/GP: Much worse than average
GA/GP: 2nd best in the NHL
PK: average
PP: slightly above average.
Shots/Game: Below average
SA/Game: Below average

Their shots (CF/CA/CF%) numbers are pretty bad relative to other teams and their scoring chances against / 60 aren't great. Their high danger CA/60 is pretty good though.

So it looks like between excellent goaltending, limiting high danger scoring chances, doing well in shoot-outs, and getting a lot of games to OT are what is doing it for them (although there is a relationship with some of those).

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
The good thing for him is he's getting paid and likely won't have difficulty finding work. Could end up in a better situation going forward.

From a team building perspective, you may not want to lose big names and you may like big splashes and you may love the idea of rewarding guys for so many years of great service (or Karlsson), but it's a bad idea to have more than maybe 1 big contract for a plus 30 guy. That's why I'm more than happy to have the dynamic shift to paying young guys the big money.

Bunch of Jurcos

The poster formally known as Hedley
Feb 24, 2016
So DeBoer got fired because his goalies are Swiss cheese and he he’s got $2o+ million invested in 2 RHD that are at this stage below average defensively?

Seems like a real recipe for success there.

To expound on that a little further

Martin Jones - 5.75M Cap hit
upload_2019-12-12_5-10-32.png

Aaron Dell - 1.6M Salary
upload_2019-12-12_5-13-50.png

These guys didn't just somehow forget how to hockey at the same time. Okay I've seen some Dell highlights and maybe he did but Jones WAS legit. So management knew something was wrong last year and they didn't make a move to improve the net. As we've seen so clearly, hard to win a cup when your goalies are actively losing you games.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
To expound on that a little further

Martin Jones - 5.75M Cap hit

Aaron Dell - 1.6M Salary

These guys didn't just somehow forget how to hockey at the same time. Okay I've seen some Dell highlights and maybe he did but Jones WAS legit. So management knew something was wrong last year and they didn't make a move to improve the net. As we've seen so clearly, hard to win a cup when your goalies are actively losing you games.

I don’t see a lot of Sharks games so I really don’t know how bad the goalies have been, but it doesn’t seem like a coincidence that their stats took a nose dive when they decided to go with the 4 forward approach for over 2/3rds of the game.

Last edited:

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Reader Q&A: Tripp Tracy on Svechnikov, his mom, pulling...

Everything you need to know about Tripp Tracey (and many things you don't)

I split my pants in the worst possible spot on the backside, and I simply didn’t have layered protection. So I went upstairs to the booth and asked John Forslund if I could get away with this when I interviewed Micheal Ferland at the bench during warmups. John said the entire low bowl behind me would see a full moon. So I wore Lululemons for the game. - Tripp Tracy

Learning that Tripp freeballs during games is why I spend money on The Athletic. Where else are you getting that scoop?

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Sebastian Aho bought a house and is in a heavy blow

Sebastian Aho mättää maaleja enemmän kuin koskaan – peliin tuli silmiinpistävä muutos: ”Siltä paikalta ne tehdään”

Sebastian Aho misses goals more than ever - there is a striking change to the game: "Where they are made from"

The expression is often serious, but the result comes. Sebastian Aho is flaming in the NHL.
The expression is often serious, but the result comes. Sebastian Aho is flaming in the NHL.

Photo: Kevin Schultz / ZUMAPRESS

Ice
Published: 10:40
Fresh homeowner Sebastian Aho shines as the hottest paint gun in the entire NHL.

Sebastian Aho of the Carolina Hurricanes is currently in a heavy blow. Still in October, the point and goal mixers stayed closed, but when November came, the tap popped open. Aho has since scored 15 goals in 20 games.

Although both Aho and Carolina lost zero in Vancouver on Thursday, Aho's goal rate has been one and a half months higher than any other NHL player.

- That's what it's like sometimes. I thought I was playing good games in the early part of the season, but not just points and goals. Now I'm just basically played the same way, but it is only sunk. I get the bounces I lost in the early part. Now those bombs have turned to me, says Aho.

Aho's number of goals among Finns is in a class of its own. He is banging on this run by breaking his previous record (30). With this wound Aho roasts at a rate of 46 hits.

The glory of Aho, 22, has been played by a radar pair, Teuvo Teräväinen, who has two power points higher than Aho (31–29).

The seamless collaboration of the duo, who are playing together for the fourth time, is always getting more devastating. In Tuesday's match against Edmonton, it was once again a spectacular show as Teräväinen pioneered Aho's goal in a mesmerizing fashion.

Aho was still behind the goal, but he scrambled to scratch the puck from behind.

- "Teukka" might try to steer it towards the goal, but I happened to be in the right place at the right time, Aho laughs.

- But she has served me pretty well. We've got the game going, and it's great to play with Teuka.

Aho (right) and Teuvo Teräväinen are bringing their headaches to the opponents of the Carolina Hurricanes.
Aho (right) and Teuvo Teräväinen are bringing their headaches to the opponents of the Carolina Hurricanes.

Photo: John Crouch / Icon Sportswire / AOP

There is no mere Finnish two-man team of attackers. They also play together with underdog, and evenings face to face with the best of their opponents.
- I think I have evolved in playing defense. It is the basis of everything that you can defend well. Our chain plays against the top chains every night, so always try to blind your opponent.

Aho, who is in his fourth NHL season, has got one striking change this fall. He has been put on the field by overwhelming power, although in the past the role has always been familiar from conducting the game to running the game.

In the new role-playing role, Aho is constantly forced by his opponents in tight goalscores. However, it doesn't hurt - at least not as long as the conversion comes.

- I've done it now a lot of goals, so what it is: ripareita, irtokiekkoja, ohjureita. That is where most of the paint comes from. I'll be happy to take a couple of bruises if I can paint.

Aho is doing more paints today with paintball.
Aho is doing more paints today with paintball.

Photo: Fred Kfoury III / Icon Sportswire / AOP

Outside the trough, Aho has enjoyed himself even better. He got his own hotel room for guest games this season when the arrival contract expired.

Aho, who signed a five-year and over $ 40 million extension agreement in the summer, also recently smelled of a home village in Raleigh. He says that he bought his first detached house.

- Now, why not call it a mansion, but a nice roommate, a modest Oulu.

- Not at least Teukka's neighbor, but see how much he sleeps in the guest room in the future.

Helsinki Hurricanes

Sep 6, 2018

I'm procrastinating while writing my thesis so here's some quick notes/tldr (hopefully a bit better translation than Google):

Has had most goals in last 1,5 months.
Thinks he played as well early but now gets more lucky bounces.
Says he has developed in the defensive side. It's important as he's playing against the opposition's best lines every day.
Plays in the netfront position in the PP instead of his previous role.
Doesn't mind getting the bruises as long as points and goals follow.
Bough a new apartment (away from Teuvo), doesn't know how much time Teuvo will spend in his guest room.

Lempo

Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I'm procrastinating while writing my thesis so here's some quick notes/tldr (hopefully a bit better translation than Google):

Has had most goals in last 1,5 months.
Thinks he played as well early but now gets more lucky bounces.
Says he has developed in the defensive side. It's important as he's playing against the opposition's best lines every day.
Plays in the netfront position in the PP instead of his previous role.
Doesn't mind getting the bruises as long as points and goals follow.
Bough a new apartment (away from Teuvo), doesn't know how much time Teuvo will spend in his guest room.
The google translation is good the way it is.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Listening to Forslund last night around 6pm on 99.9 the fan, he spoke about Aho. To paraphrase:

- Aho was putting too much pressure on himself early on, likely trying to live up to his big contract.
- When he started pressing, he was trying to score at the expense of doing the some of the other things he needed to do on the ice.
- Rod had to sit him down and say that if Aho didn't start focusing on the other aspects of the game, there would be a problem.
- Per Forslund, Aho started putting emphasis on other aspects of the game and his offense came around.

Sens1Canes2

May 13, 2007
I listened to a bit of that interview. I thought it was illuminating when the talk went to Ferland and how he’s doing in Vancouver. Forslund went out of his way to say “while the league’s gone softer, I still think the Canes need someone with Ferland’s type of game (rugged, defends teammates, dirty areas, etc.).”

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Did Ferland do something to piss off Rod during the Washington series? I remember Rod sticking up for Ferland after his game 2 hit that drew a 5 minute major and then after game 4 or so Rod was asked about him and he just shook his head in disgust. I'm sure you guys talked about it but I must of missed it. Whats the story there?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Did Ferland do something to piss off Rod during the Washington series? I remember Rod sticking up for Ferland after his game 2 hit that drew a 5 minute major and then after game 4 or so Rod was asked about him and he just shook his head in disgust. I'm sure you guys talked about it but I must of missed it. Whats the story there?

Lots of opinions at the time. From my perspective Rod seemed pretty frustrated that Ferland said he could go and then couldn't.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
I listened to a bit of that interview. I thought it was illuminating when the talk went to Ferland and how he’s doing in Vancouver. Forslund went out of his way to say “while the league’s gone softer, I still think the Canes need someone with Ferland’s type of game (rugged, defends teammates, dirty areas, etc.).”

And yet the guy who could most likely be that guy is playing like 6 minutes a night, so.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad