News & Notes XLIII: Cam Ward is a Cute lil 10 Year Old

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I think Guentzel could get 7 years $10M from a poorer team. I think $64M is about the minimum it would take to get him to sign here. I'd love it to start with a 7 as well.
Yeah, I was referring to Jarvis regarding a deal that started with a 7. I think the best we can/will do for Guentzel would be something like 8X$8.25 million and that's even a stretch.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I mean I know +/- isn't everything. But Staal had the 2nd worst +/- of his career and was worst on the team. Why is this the year he finally is a Selke finalist? He's had considerably better seasons over this one where he didn't even get considered as a finalist. Curious what got him nominated this year.
As Tarheel said, it’s a reputation award more than actually earning it. I feel a few of the awards can be this way, like the Lady Bing.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I mean I know +/- isn't everything. But Staal had the 2nd worst +/- of his career and was worst on the team. Why is this the year he finally is a Selke finalist? He's had considerably better seasons over this one where he didn't even get considered as a finalist. Curious what got him nominated this year.
It's a purely reputation based award that often serves as a lifetime achievement award rather than anything based on the current season.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
So this may not mean anything, but before yesterday's game, I was told to keep an eye out for anything Guentzel does "good or bad."

Unfortunately, Guentzel did a lot of bad in Game 5, so I put together a package highlighting that, especially on the 2nd and 3rd goal against.

I was then told that package was good and they saw what I saw, but they couldn't air it because they don't want to give possible ammunition for the upcoming contract negotiations.
meanwhile Guentz gave us opportunity in game 2 and 3.

He scored 3 goals in 2 games. He seems to be the only one producing other than Svech last night

Its whatever any more.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think it’s funny that someone said it, that we actually miss Bunting now. Ironic, though we need the guy we got back more. If we don’t sign Jake we won’t have either.

Fast is a great playoff player. Pesce and Fast would be solidifying things and Fast might actually chip in a goal or two. Martinook has been a little quiet for him in the playoffs.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I think it’s funny that someone said it, that we actually miss Bunting now. Ironic, though we need the guy we got back more. If we don’t sign Jake we won’t have either.

Fast is a great playoff player. Pesce and Fast would be solidifying things and Fast might actually chip in a goal or two. Martinook has been a little quiet for him in the playoffs.
I do worry if a player like Bunting fits what Brindy is trying to do here. Him and Trocheck seem to be of the same mold, and they both saw a fall in the lineup and playing time reduced because they weren't doing whatever it was that was expected of them here. But at the same time, you look at them both as the exact kinds of players we need in times like this.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I do worry if a player like Bunting fits what Brindy is trying to do here. Him and Trocheck seem to be of the same mold, and they both saw a fall in the lineup and playing time reduced because they weren't doing whatever it was that was expected of them here. But at the same time, you look at them both as the exact kinds of players we need in times like this.
Agreed, though I don’t remember Tro falling in the lineup. We had some blender moments but Tro was in my memory very much trusted and always ended up back at 2C.

I like how the national broadcast shows Tro making a lot of little plays and giving him credit for it, because he did the same things for us. We just didn’t have the guns for him to play with then. His first season he pretty much nailed it with us and the second season production was affected by pp usage.

Bunting and Tro were Rod players as you say, though Bunting was much harder to enjoy for me. I struggle with the yapping there but he’s generally effective. The thought that if we are married to Rod we need to build him the team he wants and stop trying to make it more skilled has a lot of merit. Replace Necas and TT with Coleman and your favorite grinder with mid level skill. Even our grinders can be a bit too vanilla. Staal is as vanilla as it comes, Fast can be. KK. On a team with sandpaper Drury would be the same but with us he’s borderline fiery.

If we sign Jake we made a step forward imo because Jake brings a lot of what we need, therefore it’s worth the trade. If we don’t sign him that’s one of my least favorite trades I think, mostly because I never saw this years team as the one therefore not really worth blowing the assets - unless we keep him. I don’t like big name rental trades in the first place and don’t view it as not “going for it” if you don’t do those. I like our building in the summer and rounding out depth at the deadline.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Agreed, though I don’t remember Tro falling in the lineup. We had some blender moments but Tro was in my memory very much trusted and always ended up back at 2C.

I like how the national broadcast shows Tro making a lot of little plays and giving him credit for it, because he did the same things for us. We just didn’t have the guns for him to play with then. His first season he pretty much nailed it with us and the second season production was affected by pp usage.

Bunting and Tro were Rod players as you say, though Bunting was much harder to enjoy for me. I struggle with the yapping there but he’s generally effective. The thought that if we are married to Rod we need to build him the team he wants and stop trying to make it more skilled has a lot of merit. Replace Necas and TT with Coleman and your favorite grinder with mid level skill. Even our grinders can be a bit too vanilla. Staal is as vanilla as it comes, Fast can be. KK. On a team with sandpaper Drury would be the same but with us he’s borderline fiery.

If we sign Jake we made a step forward imo because Jake brings a lot of what we need, therefore it’s worth the trade. If we don’t sign him that’s one of my least favorite trades I think, mostly because I never saw this years team as the one therefore not really worth blowing the assets - unless we keep him. I don’t like big name rental trades in the first place and don’t view it as not “going for it” if you don’t do those. I like our building in the summer and rounding out depth at the deadline.
If we don't resign Jake we've screwed up. I never looked at that as a rental deal. He's the exact kind of player we've been trying to get for years, and the exact kind of player you want to build around. You bring him in to give Aho an elite winger for the next 6 years. If he walks, who know if and when we'll ever have that kind of talent again.

I also fully agree with the rest of that. Guys like Necas and Turbo need to be replaced with guys who are absolutely willing to get their nose dirty. Staal needs to have his minutes significantly reduced going forward because he just has too many miles on his legs at this point. Our defense should be a lot different next year, and my big hope is that we bring in some guys who are willing to play nasty and to let them do that. And our defensive depth needs to be guys who are better at keeping the puck away from our own net than they are at facilitating offense on the other side of the rink.

Our strength has always been an overwhelming offensive cycle that grinds teams down with a defense that shuts shit down on our side of the rink and gets the puck to our forwards who put in the work. We stagnate badly when we veer from that.

Derailed75

Jan 5, 2021
Danville
If we don't resign Jake we've screwed up. I never looked at that as a rental deal. He's the exact kind of player we've been trying to get for years, and the exact kind of player you want to build around. You bring him in to give Aho an elite winger for the next 6 years. If he walks, who know if and when we'll ever have that kind of talent again.

I also fully agree with the rest of that. Guys like Necas and Turbo need to be replaced with guys who are absolutely willing to get their nose dirty. Staal needs to have his minutes significantly reduced going forward because he just has too many miles on his legs at this point. Our defense should be a lot different next year, and my big hope is that we bring in some guys who are willing to play nasty and to let them do that. And our defensive depth needs to be guys who are better at keeping the puck away from our own net than they are at facilitating offense on the other side of the rink.

Our strength has always been an overwhelming offensive cycle that grinds teams down with a defense that shuts shit down on our side of the rink and gets the puck to our forwards who put in the work. We stagnate badly when we veer from that.
Funny you mention Turbo not being able to get his nose dirty like needs to be done in the playoffs, when he is one of the few guys on our roster with his name on the cup

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL

"Our strength has always been an overwhelming offensive cycle that grinds teams down with a defense that shuts shit down on our side of the rink and gets the puck to our forwards who put in the work."

I'd suggest that may be a good 3rd and 4th line philosophy but for your top two skilled lines, RBA needs to allow a much looser philosophy. Aho, Guentzel, Necas (although despite what DW said in a recent interview, reporters believe he is gone), Svetch need a different approach.

btw: having seen this movie over last 6 years, I've moved to the grief acceptance phase. I saw this online and adapted it to the Canes fanbase:

1715443820381.png

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC

I'm in a way wondering if we're counting on Nadeau and FUS to step into the roster next year to replace Turbo and Fast. I'm not sold on us having to move Necas, but in Rod's system he's not a great fit. That said unless we're getting Brady Tkachuk out of Ottawa there's no trade fit that makes sense of the rumored available players. Marner is exponentially more expensive and is basically the same player.

KK + pick for Provorov from Columbus, Comtois replacing Noesen, and re-signing Chat at 2.5 x 3, keeping all 3 of Jake, Necas, and Jarvis is doable with a bit over a million to spare for a #7 D
Screenshot 2024-05-11 123138.png

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
I'm in a way wondering if we're counting on Nadeau and FUS to step into the roster next year to replace Turbo and Fast. I'm not sold on us having to move Necas, but in Rod's system he's not a great fit. That said unless we're getting Brady Tkachuk out of Ottawa there's no trade fit that makes sense of the rumored available players. Marner is exponentially more expensive and is basically the same player.

KK + pick for Provorov from Columbus, Comtois replacing Noesen, and re-signing Chat at 2.5 x 3, keeping all 3 of Jake, Necas, and Jarvis is doable with a bit over a million to spare for a #7 DView attachment 868940
I like the thought that we keep Jake, Necas and Jarvis (I'm thinking next year already too....if we keep Necas we need to give him freedom and partner with a better 2C...plus, tell him to hit the weight room).

Where would you play Nadeau (he has a rocket that would bookend well on the PP with Necas/Svetch) and FUS? Doesn't add size though....

edit: Provorov would need retention? Plus, his PIM is very low. Don't we need a tough guy on the back end too?

Last edited:
Reactions: WreckingCrew

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I like the thought that we keep Jake, Necas and Jarvis (I'm thinking next year already too....if we keep Necas we need to give him freedom and partner with a better 2C...plus, tell him to hit the weight room).

Where would you play Nadeau (he has a rocket that would bookend well on the PP with Necas/Svetch) and FUS?
FUS and Nadeau would battle to start the season on the 4th line IMO. Whichever one is better in camp starts on that line. I have Nadeau there currently because his shot could be a weapon on the PP, but I can easily see the more mature game of FUS getting the nod, and Nads starting the season in the A which wouldn't be a bad thing for the kid.

I still think we need more jam in the lineup even with this as my projection, and I could easily see that result in Marty being allowed to walk in UFA and bringing in another big body for the 4th line, letting Comtois play up on the 3rd.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site

KK + pick for Provorov from Columbus, Comtois replacing Noesen, and re-signing Chat at 2.5 x 3, keeping all 3 of Jake, Necas, and Jarvis is doable with a bit over a million to spare for a #7 DView attachment 868940
I agree I’d think Necas could stay, but In one of the shared videos Decock intimates that TT, Necas, Skjei and Pesce are all gone in a way that suggests he knows from behind the scenes something about it.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State

Where would you play Nadeau (he has a rocket that would bookend well on the PP with Necas/Svetch) and FUS? Doesn't add size though....
Do you really think Necas will return? While I haven't seen LeBrun weigh in, EF and all those in the After Dark segment spoke as if it's a given he's gone.

Do you all think the series would be different had we opened this round at home? I think an early win could have given them a small bump to their confidence.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Do you really think Necas will return? While I haven't seen LeBrun weigh in, EF and all those in the After Dark segment spoke as if it's a given he's gone.

Do you all think the series would be different had we opened this round at home? I think an early win could have given them a small bump to their confidence.
I think a win in either of the first two games could’ve easily shifted the weight of the series. Maybe even game three but definitely the first two. Home probably would’ve helped.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I agree I’d think Necas could stay, but In one of the shared videos Decock intimates that TT, Necas, Skjei and Pesce are all gone in a way that suggests he knows from behind the scenes something about it.
yeah, I think if the right fit is there Necas is getting traded. I just don't know that the right fit is there trade wise unless it's the other Tkachuk brother.

Definitely an early bump in confidence that likely would have resulted in Friday being a win, but I honestly think starting on the road wasn't a bad thing in this series. We get any kind of bounces (or if the refs weren't falling for the Rangers dives in game 2) we're up 2-1 in the series right now.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
yeah, I think if the right fit is there Necas is getting traded. I just don't know that the right fit is there trade wise unless it's the other Tkachuk brother.

Definitely an early bump in confidence that likely would have resulted in Friday being a win, but I honestly think starting on the road wasn't a bad thing in this series. We get any kind of bounces (or if the refs weren't falling for the Rangers dives in game 2) we're up 2-1 in the series right now.
I’ve been thinking Necas could go for a dman we keep for a few years. We’ll see, he could go for a pick at the draft too.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
can't see a pick at all, dman maybe. Chychrun would be a possibility there, assuming he can stay healthy and would want to extend in Raleigh.
If we are going to trade Necas for a dman, I want to make sure it's someone with a nasty side to his game and mainly defensive first. This franchise needs to make it a point of it not being a fun physical experience for anyone to play against us. Right now, we are a team that tends to take it on the chin more than we dish it. That is turning a little this year, but I really want to see us go all in with it. If we bring back Guentzel and extend Jarvis, we have the scoring, we would just need the jam. And that jam needs to be all over the lineup, not just a token guy in the bottom pair or a 7th defenseman. We forecheck like maniacs, we should have a reputation for being a nasty team to play against.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad