News & Notes Thread Part VI: "Where the Hell is the News Thread?" Editon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
@ice_chip: Francis praises work done by Rutherford but noted "I am my own man" and will take his own approach.

Please let this be true

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He's been VP of Hockey Ops for a while. Mostly dealing with things on the PR and media front.

Yeah I read up on him. I think the title just threw me off. The likelihood he has any impact on the on-ice product is low so for my purposes I'll continue to not care. Good for him though, working your way up from the bottom of professional sport steam is no joke .

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Kyle is Kyle Hanlin, Director of Media Relations and Broadcasting.

Hanlin.Kyle.jpg

If there's ever a movie made about the Carolina Hurricanes, I think we've found who to cast Paul Giamatti as.

faulkingdynamic

J Troll
Oct 4, 2006
Raleigh NC
What was said about Staal?

Nothing specific, in fact I don't think Staal was even mentioned by name. But RF made it a point to say he was a captain on winning teams, knows how to win, and knows what needs to be done. Its clear he takes/took the captaincy role very seriously. Also went out of his way, I thought, to mention that he is looking for players who do whatever is needed to win and guys that are playing for the crest on the front and not the name on the back. As I also said, Im sure im reading far too much into the comments. But it sounded like a guy who was intent on changing the tone of leadership in the organization.

daikan

(╯︵╰,)
Oct 28, 2005
Berlin
Maniscalco trying to get on PK about the budget, nice.

Haha, the awkwardness after PK's response on that question is brutal. Sounds to me like he's begrudgingly widened his purse and is mighty disappointed with the (lack of) results. "We'll set the budget wherever we think we can have the most competitive hockey team." So—and allow me to be a little naïve for a second—that should be right at the ceiling, right? I don't see how it could be otherwise.

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Haha, the awkwardness after PK's response on that question is brutal. Sounds to me like he's begrudgingly widened his purse and is mighty disappointed with the (lack of) results. "We'll set the budget wherever we think we can have the most competitive hockey team." So—and allow me to be a little naïve for a second—that should be right at the ceiling, right? I don't see how it could be otherwise.

Hence the comments about having young, exciting players and the need for fans to be patient?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
I'd be all over that trade. Plus it'll be an interesting side show watching Eric and Phaneuf try to out lazy each other for an entire season. Especially in that market :laugh:

normalpsychology

Oct 27, 2011
Mass

Except for PK's comments before that about how they "spent to the cap before and look what that got them"

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Nothing specific, in fact I don't think Staal was even mentioned by name. But RF made it a point to say he was a captain on winning teams, knows how to win, and knows what needs to be done. Its clear he takes/took the captaincy role very seriously. Also went out of his way, I thought, to mention that he is looking for players who do whatever is needed to win and guys that are playing for the crest on the front and not the name on the back. As I also said, Im sure im reading far too much into the comments. But it sounded like a guy who was intent on changing the tone of leadership in the organization.

He also said he looks for players that "lay it all out on the line every night".

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
#CaptainNathanGerbe #confirmed

Wouldn't be the worst choice on the planet. Too many teams just reflexively slap the C on their best player. The Captaincy can't just be about skill, it has to be about consistant work ethic. When you have a guy who has both the work ethic and the skill, great, that's perfect. Give it to that guy (Francis, Brindy are both examples). But if you have a guy with talent who doesn't work? I think I can just let that hang.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad