News Article: News from Around the League - Part XXXVI

Status
Not open for further replies.

tycobb

Jun 28, 2011
I don't know how much more steam that rumor will take, but I am not confident in the strategy of "bring in one overrated goalie to replace another overrated goalie."

You can't buy out until the off-season anyway. I would love for Lou to jump at the chance of signing Ilya on the cheap next off-season. The guy was great when he had a solid defense in front of him.

DevilChuk*

Was looking at the Rangers board to see what info they had seen about the openers and oh man how the tables have turned :laugh:

Posters complaining that the Bruins board are calling them boring and one poster with a complete gem saying other teams are allowed to play defense but if the Rangers do then its called the trap.

Oh the irony

kiwidevil

"Hey look! I've got my tie undone because I have been so busy!!" "Take a picture, take a picture!. Hey you with the camera!! Have you seen my tie and important face?"

Saugus

Ecrasez l'infame!
Jun 17, 2009
Connecticut
I guess Winnipeg isn't swapping with Columbus after all. Pity. I was hoping to see the Devils play.

That is annoying. It's the common sense solution, but they still refuse to do it because Detroit has the league by the balls.

I wouldn't be surprised to see Burke as a potential Lou replacement in another year or two. That may be crazy, but that's what Devils offseasons are anymore.

Woof, no thanks. Burke is an ego hound, not a serious GM. I was never impressed by his work with the Leafs, and I do not want him in charge here. I'd rather have someone in the mould of Lou, or at least as close as we can get to that.

But, please, think of the rest of us... imagine the quotable goldmine a Bryz/Lu tandem would be. I'm in love with that idea.

And the rest of the Flyers would have to share like $5 of cap space between them. :laugh:

If they bring in Luongo, Bryz is gone.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Ryan Whitney jokes "marijuana is legal in some places" when told of @adater pre-season rankings. Says just playoffs would be more realistic.

For his Sports Illustrated piece, Adrian Dater (Avs beat writer) put Edmonton at #3.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Dan Tencer ‏@dantencer
Ryan Whitney jokes "marijuana is legal in some places" when told of @adater pre-season rankings. Says just playoffs would be more realistic.

For his Sports Illustrated piece, Adrian Dater (Avs beat writer) put Edmonton at #3.

He also said our run last year was a fluke. **** that guy! He was the first to break when the lockout ended I believe, but other than that **** em! He did have us 16th in his rankings, and not 25th like most fans, and writers around the league do.

Also Bryz was a fantastic goalie in Phoenix. One year he could even won the Vezina. I think that's 3 years ago now. This guy Philly had playing for them last year I kept saying they found in a dumpster somewhere. They shouldn't have given him a 9 year deal though.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Ryan Whitney's correct, but the runaway train that is the Oiler bandwagon is off the rails with unrealistic expectations now. That might actually work against them, they haven't done anything yet to justify the hype and living up to it's going to be an issue. I understand why people think they'll do well, they have a bunch of kids that got to play in the AHL and Schultz looks like the real deal (unfortunately) but good grief, they're getting so overrated and nobody knows if they have goaltending or can have an above-average D yet, and it's not like their offense is Crosby to Malkin yet.

apice3*

Uhh, what is different between the 32-40-10 Oilers from last year and this current squad, aside from drafting Yakupov (is he even playing in the NHL?) Eberle, Hall, and RNH are one year better, but is that enough to turn them from 29th place to 3rd place?

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Schultz, the defenseman they contreversially were able to sign last year has been tearing up the AHL with about a point a game, so he's a good addition. Yakupov didn't seem that great in the WJC, I don't know if he's going to make a big impact this year. And the fact they had more key players playing than most teams during the lockout. That's about it, as far as 'improvement'.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Ryan Whitney's correct, but the runaway train that is the Oiler bandwagon is off the rails with unrealistic expectations now. That might actually work against them, they haven't done anything yet to justify the hype and living up to it's going to be an issue. I understand why people think they'll do well, they have a bunch of kids that got to play in the AHL and Schultz looks like the real deal (unfortunately) but good grief, they're getting so overrated and nobody knows if they have goaltending or can have an above-average D yet, and it's not like their offense is Crosby to Malkin yet.

Yup, and the Oilers have the crumbling bulin wall in net for this year still. He's been a joke the past few seasons. They need Ronald Reagan to tell Tambellini to tear down that wall. He did start off well last year as did the rest of the team though. By all star break though they weren't in a playoff spot anymore. It was the first 20-30 games they were doing good.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Yup, and the Oilers have the crumbling bulin wall in net for this year still. He's been a joke the past few seasons. They need Ronald Reagan to tell Tambellini to tear down that wall. He did start off well last year as did the rest of the team though. By all star break though they weren't in a playoff spot anymore. It was the first 20-30 games they were doing good.

I think Dubnyk's supposed to be their starter, for what that's worth. And he did okay down the stretch last year, but still it's questionable until proven otherwise.

apice3*

Schultz, the defenseman they contreversially were able to sign last year has been tearing up the AHL with about a point a game, so he's a good addition. Yakupov didn't seem that great in the WJC, I don't know if he's going to make a big impact this year. And the fact they had more key players playing than most teams during the lockout. That's about it, as far as 'improvement'.

So they're an improved steaming pile of crap. I see them being one of those teams that gets it 8-seed hopes up, only to come back down to reality before long.

CerebralGenesis

Jul 23, 2009
If Schultz gets them to the #3 then he will be the MVP. Definitely gonna try and draft him in my fantasy draft though.

They could make the playoffs with a shortened season, but so could anyone.

kiwidevil

It's amazing how many players "looked good down the stretch last season".

Some players just play their best when there is nothing really on the line.

I'm sick of hearing about the ****ing oilers "future"

apice3*

Yeah the Oilers will have a sick group of forwards, but aside from this Schultz kid and his 0 games played and already one of the most hated players in the league, who do they have on D or in net?

kiwidevil

Then how are they going to improve? They will have to pay these guys big bucks and use their cap or let them go by the time they build their D.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Whitney himself helps their D tremendously, when he's not on the shelf. Unfortunately for them, he's made of glass. If you gave me an over-under on 20 games played for Whitney, I might go under.

And picking them third's insane anyway cause you're picking them ahead of Vancouver. Whatever happens with Schnieder and Strombone I don't think anyone in that division's good enough to beat the Nucks yet, even with Kesler's issues.

davebenj

Mar 19, 2011
I'm not too sure about Whitney. His defense to me was bad in both Pittsburgh and Anaheim although he has played much better in Edmonton. The problem is of course that he is NEVER healthy. Even in seasons where he's played the majority of , he's said to have felt like crap.

Last edited:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Tallinder, Urbom, and a 3rd for Gagner PLZ!

If anyway possible they'll just take Tallinder, and the 3rd, or Tallinder, and a 2nd that would be sweet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad