News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
can't he still sign an 8 year deal with the isles even when he hits UFA?

i would be shocked if he upped with the isles before reaching the market on sunday just doesn't make sense. stamkos was on a contender so it made sense to sign before. JT not so much but o well he will sit there and rot

even if he can't sign that extra year even with the isles IMO being able to see what other "contending" teams would offer and show me would be worth it.

Nope, once he becomes an unrestricted free agent he can't sign for 8 years with anyone not even the Isles. And he technically can hear what other contending teams want to offer without hitting free agency due to the window prior to July 1st.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor

Scene opens with a middle distance shot of Lou sitting behind his plain black desk. Exactly the same as the one he has at home. Lou is wearing a starched white shirt and a black tie. Behind him on the wall is a large black wood framed NJ Devils logo painting. A piece of paper with a Maple Leafs logo is taped over most but not all of the Devils logo. Taped over that is a hastily drawn NYI logo on yellow legal pad paper that doesn't quite cover up either the Leafs or Devils logos. The only things on the desk are an old fashioned black telephone with a dial, a yellow legal pad with something written on the top page, and a pencil. The room is silent except for Lou's slightly amplified breathing. Lou sits looking at the legal pad for about thirty seconds. The phone rings. Lou picks it up slowly and brings the handpiece to his ear.

Lou: Hello, this is Lou Lamoriello. Who is this?

JT: Lou, it's John Tavares. I wanted to touch base with you before I head off on vacation.

Lou: Hello John. Thank you for calling. There are many exciting things happening with the Islanders.

JT: Is it true that Barry Trotz is going to be the coach? If so, I'd sign back at a discount.

Lou: Now, John, you know I can't tell you that.

The camera zooms in on the legal pad. Written on it is a note that says "plan to not announce Trotz is the new coach to the vultures in the media" The camera cuts back to the middle distance shot.

Lou: Now, John, I'd rather focus on what you and I share in common, our long-standing ties to the NYI organization.

JT: Lou, you've been the GM for about a week.

Lou: Now, John, I've watched you grow up in this organization and like you, I can't see you anywhere else.

JT: When you were with the Leafs in April you called my agent and asked if I wanted to come home this summer.

Lou: Now, John, we've had our differences but it's for the good of the organization that we mend fences and you extend your contract.

JT: Well what do you have in mind?

Lou: A very competitive offer.

JT: How competitive.

Lou: Now, John, you know I can't tell you that. It might leak out.

JT: So if I sign this offer you can't reveal to me what happens.

Lou: Well, John, I envision a party in my office. I will even dust off the mylar balloon I gave my son Chris for his tenth birthday and refill it with helium.

JT: Lou, this sounds weird and what about a press release.

Lou: No press!! And he hangs up the phone.

The camera cuts to a close up shot of Tavares sitting in his living room watching a large screen tv and holding his cell phone to his ear. He pulls the phone away from his ear and looks at it.

JT: Lou?

The camera pans back to show Barzal sitting in the room watching the tv and he looks over at Tavares.

Barzal: Did you get cut off?

JT: I guess so.

Barzal: How'd it go?

JT: Really great. It's easy to see why he's so respected and I can't wait to see what else he has in store to turn the team around.

Barzal sends text to Andrew Gross.

The scene cuts back to Lou sitting in his office. He's staring at the legal pad. Written on it underneath the line about how to hide the Trotz signing from the press is the note: "Plan to have press conference about Tavares signing but send assistant coaches and have them deny any knowledge of the contract". The screen fades to black.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Scene opens with a middle distance shot of Lou sitting behind his plain black desk. Exactly the same as the one he has at home. Lou is wearing a starched white shirt and a black tie. Behind him on the wall is a large black wood framed NJ Devils logo painting. A piece of paper with a Maple Leafs logo is taped over most but not all of the Devils logo. Taped over that is a hastily drawn NYI logo on yellow legal pad paper that doesn't quite cover up either the Leafs or Devils logos. The only things on the desk are an old fashioned black telephone with a dial, a yellow legal pad with something written on the top page, and a pencil. The room is silent except for Lou's slightly amplified breathing. Lou sits looking at the legal pad for about thirty seconds. The phone rings. Lou picks it up slowly and brings the handpiece to his ear.

JT: Lou, it's John Tavares. I wanted to touch base with you before I head off on vacation.

Lou: Hello John. Thank you for calling. There are many exciting things happening with the Islanders.

JT: Is it true that Barry Trotz is going to be the coach? If so, I'd sign back at a discount.

The camera zooms in on the legal pad. Written on it is a note that says "plan to not announce Trotz is the new coach to the vultures in the media" The camera cuts back to the middle distance shot.

Lou: Now, John, I'd rather focus on what you and I share in common, our long-standing ties to the NYI organization.

Lou: Now, John, I've watched you grow up in this organization and like you, I can't see you anywhere else.

JT: When you were with the Leafs in April you called my agent and asked if I wanted to come home this summer.

Lou: Now, John, we've had our differences but it's for the good of the organization that we mend fences and you extend your contract.

Lou: Well, John, I envision a party in my office. I will even dust off the mylar balloon I gave my son Chris for his tenth birthday and refill it with helium.

The camera cuts to a close up shot of Tavares sitting in his living room watching a large screen tv and holding his cell phone to his ear. He pulls the phone away from his ear and looks at it.

The camera pans back to show Barzal sitting in the room watching the tv and he looks over at Tavares.

JT: Really great. It's easy to see why he's so respected and I can't wait to see what else he has in store to turn the team around.

The scene cuts back to Lou sitting in his office. He's staring at the legal pad. Written on it underneath the line about how to hide the Trotz signing from the press is the note: "Plan to have press conference about Tavares signing but send assistant coaches and have them deny any knowledge of the contract". The screen fades to black.

It's been up five seconds how do you read it that fast Auron?

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village

I've actually been waiting for you to post something like this :)

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012

This is beautiful

Reactions: My3Sons

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
He clearly wants to stay and the moon, sun and stars have come into place for them. New arena, Lou, Trotz...the only way he gets to July 1 is if he’s leaving no matter what since he’d sacrifice the extra year on the contract if he re-signs with the Isles.

He clearly doesn’t think of them as a dump now with Lou and Trotz. You can’t undersell how having two respected leaders changes the perception.

Lou doesn't impress me at all, he lost his touch with us years ago. That new arena is still years away and it's a franchise that has been pretty much garbage since their glory days. I'd run like hell if I had the chance but maybe JT is a glutton for punishment.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
He clearly wants to stay and the moon, sun and stars have come into place for them. New arena, Lou, Trotz...the only way he gets to July 1 is if he’s leaving no matter what since he’d sacrifice the extra year on the contract if he re-signs with the Isles.

He clearly doesn’t think of them as a dump now with Lou and Trotz. You can’t undersell how having two respected leaders changes the perception.

just pump the brakes please. i really dont get this fascination that lou is some wizard in the hockey world. does no one realize how horrible he had run this franchise post lost season? keeping conte his lap dog and his son in albany? sure the devils made the playoffs all those years but finishing 1st in the divison to be KNOCKED OUT in the first round constantly isn't a success. dont agree with that? then look no further on his resume from 2013 to when he got the boot and how well the devils have been since he left. JT is an idiot if he thinks lou will turn that franchise around if anything by year 6 tavares will be thinking to himself wtf did i sign up for? i have a 81 year gm? no prospects in the pipeline and the arena still isn't even built!

also i get trotz won the cup and he is a good coach but lets not kid ourselves on him being the savior here. he was 1 goal away from being fired

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Lou doesn't impress me at all, he lost his touch with us years ago. That new arena is still years away and it's a franchise that has been pretty much garbage since their glory days. I'd run like hell if I had the chance but maybe JT is a glutton for punishment.

But you’re not a player and you haven’t had to suffer with the likes of Snow and Weight. Lou and Trotz are a CLEAR three steps up from that as far as JT is concerned, however much fans from the outside may parse and debate Lou’s recent record, he still has cache players respect.

JrFischer54

Apr 4, 2017
But you’re not a player and you haven’t had to suffer with the likes of Snow and Weight. Lou and Trotz are a CLEAR three steps up from that as far as JT is concerned, however much fans from the outside may parse and debate Lou’s recent record, he still has cache players respect.

its funny and weird though that when lou was here we couldn't keep any big name ufa nor did we attract any big name ufa? with the all time great broduer nieds stevens you would think that would've been different.

JT supposedly loved weight as a coach?

Reactions: OmNomNom

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
its funny and weird though that when lou was here we couldn't keep any big name ufa nor did we attract any big name ufa? with the all time great broduer nieds stevens you would think that would've been different.

Lou also never had the advantage of contract term limits here. And we still kept plenty of big names before UFA, most pre cap though. It’s not like Marty, Stevens or Elias walked as UFA

billingtons ghost

Nov 29, 2010

Your anti-Lou stance is pretty comical. The honest truth of 'We couldn't attract/keep UFAs' is:
Like Shero said last week, UFA is not the way to build a team.

As far as the 'not keeping':
Gomez - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Holik - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Parise - Why try to match that albatross contract? Went home.
Clarkson - Why try to match that albatross contract?
Rafalski - Went home.
Niedermayer - Went to brother (and home since his folks could travel from BC).

What did you miss out on, exactly? On the surface, these are held to Lou's detriment - in reality, they are part of the reason why we ended up in the Cup Final in 2012 - which is almost 30 years since the last time the Isles were in the Cup final.

Let the Isles have their day. Lou added a rudder to the rudderless ship with some decent talent. If he succeeds in bringing Tavares back in, they could have a considerable turnaround and they've already had the most productive off-season since when?

I'm not an Isles fan, but I hate the Rangers, and I totally want to see Lou succeed and add to his legend- even if it makes it so we have to play those guys in the playoffs year after year.

Reactions: nugg

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010

That would be more of a reason for me too look elsewhere to see other offers and like someone else said apparently he liked Weight. We'll see what happens, I'm not afraid of the Islanders with or without JT and especially with out of touch Lou in charge.

Satans Hockey

Nov 17, 2010
Let the Isles have their day. Lou added a rudder to the rudderless ship with some decent talent. If he succeeds in bringing Tavares back in, they could have a considerable turnaround and they've already had the most productive off-season since when?

I'm not an Isles fan, but I hate the Rangers, and I totally want to see Lou succeed and add to his legend- even if it makes it so we have to play those guys in the playoffs year after year.

Nah I'm good, I'm a logo on the front guy and Lou has been gone for years, I don't care about his legacy with other teams and I won't wish the Islanders nor their obnoxious fans who visit the Prudential center any luck. I don't even care if their arena falls through and they f*** off to another city.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
just pump the brakes please. i really dont get this fascination that lou is some wizard in the hockey world. does no one realize how horrible he had run this franchise post lost season? keeping conte his lap dog and his son in albany? sure the devils made the playoffs all those years but finishing 1st in the divison to be KNOCKED OUT in the first round constantly isn't a success. dont agree with that? then look no further on his resume from 2013 to when he got the boot and how well the devils have been since he left. JT is an idiot if he thinks lou will turn that franchise around if anything by year 6 tavares will be thinking to himself wtf did i sign up for? i have a 81 year gm? no prospects in the pipeline and the arena still isn't even built!

also i get trotz won the cup and he is a good coach but lets not kid ourselves on him being the savior here. he was 1 goal away from being fired

You clearly have been missing my point. My point is not to argue Lou’s post-lockout record has been exceptional. My point is - players like JT do not look at Lou and his resume with the same hyper-partisan microscope fans do. He’s not paying attention to the Devils or the Leafs on a day in day out basis. Here’s what JT sees when you put Lou Lamoriello in front of him:

-Thirty years as a GM with three Cups and like 25 winning seasons with playoff appearances
-Got to the SCF as recently as 2012
-Presided over a vast turnaround in Toronto going from cellar dweller to back to back playoffs
-Respected around all hockey circles with a no-nonsense culture

That’s it, it’s a bottom line mentality...players aren’t sitting there breaking down Lou letting FA’s walk (none of whom were Marty, Stevens or Elias btw) or the Devils’ post-2000 drafting. And that resume looks even better stacked up against your guy Garth’s resume and the lack of success JT had.

And not for nothing but Lou’s main criticism here in his latter years was how bad he was with the forwards. He’s got forwards there, he just needs to work on the D and goaltending which even his detractors concede is still his strength.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• USA vs Sweden
    USA vs Sweden
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,050.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Finland vs Czechia
    Finland vs Czechia