News Around the League: 2017-2018 During and AFTER THE CUP

Status
Not open for further replies.

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
huh? How does that make any sense at all? If I signed Calvin de Haan for next year, and he only played 33 games, (or 29 like Mojo) then yes - I would consider that signing a bust - especially if it is concussion issues that might carry over forever.

Make up your own mind - Clowe's signing here is considered a bust on Lou's watch because he only plays 56 games, but Mojo plays 29 with less production and he isn't one because Shero signed him?
Clowe was 31 and a known lemon coming off multiple concussions in the months before he was signed.

Johansson was 26 with no injury issues until this season, and one of them was a blatant headshot that was completely unavoidable.

You're comparing apples and oranges here.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Let the record reflect that Clowe had suffered concussions the year before we signed him. Marcus Johansson wasn't even an injury prone player before we acquired him. He played all 82 games the year before and 82 games in 2 of the 3 previous seasons. Johansson played at least 80 games in 4 of his first 7 seasons that were 82 games long. That's not counting the lockout season 2013.

Clowe was ''Damaged goods'' when we got him, which was a phrase that was used to describe a whole lot back then. Marcus Johansson was not.

Thing is we were expecting more from a ‘scoring’ winger than >.5 PPG considering MarJo brings nothing else to the table other than being a perimeter offensive talent. That alone means he was certainly a disappointment in the games he did play. If you want to argue 29 games isn’t enough to use the four letter word that’s one thing, but he really needs to be a 45-50 point player this year at minimum.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
$7 million/year for a ~50 point winger is insane. That is a terrible contract.

if Kane is worth that, Hall is worth like $11

krejci is .74 PPG, cap hit of $7.2M
kesler is .6 PPG, cap hit of $6.8M
voracek is .74PPG, cap hit of $8.2M

etc etc. kane is .61 PPG. $7M/year, especially with the cap going up, is pretty far from 'insane'

Reactions: Darkauron

The Wumpus

bottomless pit supervisor
May 9, 2011
Morristown, NJ
Kane essentially puts up Henrique numbers. There is something in his playstyle that seems like he should be a superstar, but the results aren't there. It will be interesting to see what actual superstars like Hall, Tavares, and Kucherov sign for.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA

etc etc. kane is .61 PPG. $7M/year, especially with the cap going up, is pretty far from 'insane'

Krejci and Kesler are centers, so of course they deserve more money.

Kyle Palmieri is at 0.68 ppg in NJ and he makes like $4.6, just as an example

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
Krejci and Kesler are centers, so of course they deserve more money.

Kyle Palmieri is at 0.68 ppg in NJ and he makes like $4.6, just as an example

there are examples of players worth more than kane making less, and players worth less than kane making more. the point is, there's precedent for a cap hit of anywhere between 5.5-7.5M for kane...that's what agents do to find their client's worth. again, considering the cap is going up, there's nothing insane about $7M.

having said that, there is definitely something insane about signing him to a 7 year deal, considering all the baggage he brings. if he winds up getting $7M for 7 years AND wilson throws in a NTC (which i haven't seen mentioned, i'm just saying) he's an idiot

Cheddabombs

Status Quo
Mar 13, 2012
I think Kane is a great fit with the Sharks, he certainly played well in his brief stint with them. He may not have the best point totals across his career but he's also never been on a good team before joining the Sharks. He's still real young too, the term isn't terrible at 7 years. Maybe a little too much money, if it is indeed 7m, but I don't think its that outrageous.

I am a big fan of his game though.

Nubmer6

Sleep is a poor substitute for caffeine
Sponsor
Jul 14, 2013
The Village
Thing is we were expecting more from a ‘scoring’ winger than >.5 PPG considering MarJo brings nothing else to the table other than being a perimeter offensive talent. That alone means he was certainly a disappointment in the games he did play. If you want to argue 29 games isn’t enough to use the four letter word that’s one thing, but he really needs to be a 45-50 point player this year at minimum.
He' s very good at controlled zone entries. It's something we really need help with, especially on the PP.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
for his career in Washington, Johansson was a 0.58 ppg player

in 29 games in NJ (in a season riddle by injuries), he was a 0.48 ppg player

that really isn't that much below what he had been

devlzfan

Aug 28, 2007
Farmingdale, NY
One of the biggest mistakes Lou made in my opinion was not forfeiting the 29th pick of the 2012 entry draft when he knew he would have to forfeit it in either 2013 or 2014. I know they were gifted the 30th pick back in 2014 and maybe Lou knew they would do that all along. They were supposed to pick 11th in 2014 and Kevin Fiala scored 23 goals this year for Nashville. Jakub Vrana was 13, Dylan Larkin was 15 to name some others that could have been taken. I think that goes under the radar but to me it was a huge mistake near the end of Lou's tenure.

Reactions: nugg and Nubmer6

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
Production aside, I just think it's an absurd gamble to commit 7 years to a dude that two organizations grew sour on in short order. And $7M AAV? San Jose assumed an insane amount of risk here.

I know he's a fit and he looked good with their guys for ~3 months, but I just don't see the need to overpay. Given Kane's history, SJ held the cards here, and they just pooped their pants on the spot.

Reactions: ChicoEatsNachos

SpeakingOfTheDevils

Devils Advocate
Jan 22, 2010
Philadelphia, PA
One of the biggest mistakes Lou made in my opinion was not forfeiting the 29th pick of the 2012 entry draft when he knew he would have to forfeit it in either 2013 or 2014. I know they were gifted the 30th pick back in 2014 and maybe Lou knew they would do that all along. They were supposed to pick 11th in 2014 and Kevin Fiala scored 23 goals this year for Nashville. Jakub Vrana was 13, Dylan Larkin was 15 to name some others that could have been taken. I think that goes under the radar but to me it was a huge mistake near the end of Lou's tenure.

It most certainly doesn't, and thanks a bunch for re-re-re-re-opening this can of worms.

Zippy316

aka Zippo
Aug 17, 2012
New Jersey

In retrospect, yes. There was a lot of speculation the Devils were eyeing Vasiliveski and Subban in that draft, which is why they kept the pick. Would make a bit of sense considering Lou traded #9 for Schneider the following summer.

I think that decision would look a lot better if we had a top-end goalie prospect in the system.

Reactions: nugg

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
thats how I got my name ! So it wasnt all bad !

AfroThunder396

[citation needed]
Jan 8, 2006
Miami, FL
50M is way too much to give a guy with more sexual assault allegations than playoff appearances.

He's no better than Palmieri, and I love Palmieri, but if he asked for $7M a season I'd tell him to go f*** himself.

I get that $7M doesn't buy as much as it used to but this is a guy in his 10th season who has cleared 30 goals once and 50 points twice. Those are Henrique numbers. Combined with the off ice issues, being a winger, and being not that good defensively it's absolute madness.

The Devil In I

Jun 28, 2005
Chicago

Krejci had put up three 60+ point seasons and one 70+ point season and had 2 great playoff runs (49 points in 47 total games in the '11 and '13 playoffs) before he signed that contract...and he's a center.

Voracek had averaged .83 PPG over the previous 3 seasons when he signed that contract (including a year of basically PPG play)

Kesler...was a pretty bad deal based on him previously being a very good player, but the GM not realizing he was over the hill/approaching his expiry date.

7x7 for a guy with Kane's history, both stats-wise and with prior teammates, is insane.

Reactions: Zajacs Bowl Cut

The 29th Pick

Still Alive !
Dec 7, 2007
Northvale N.J.
with 1 more team in the league now, the talent is watered down a little more, and the salary cap keeps going up, you'll see "meh" players getting 6/7 million contracts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad