News Article: News and Notes XXVI: A Sisyphean Rask

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
I think it was obvious that he lost the room last season, but that in itself does not make a bad coach at any point. Just means he wasn't going to work here and that it's easier to replace coaches than players if you DON'T CHEAP OUT, TOM!

The worst realization of all is that going cheap might have worked if they went with a good cheap option.

Why they hired RBA over Vellucci I'm still trying to understand.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Doesn't matter if you're a good coach. Or even a great one. Results matter. If you don't get them, regardless of the talent level you're given, you'll be gone eventually. And fans will turn on you. Lucky for him, he had the opt out, bet on himself, and is making a good go in Calgary. I never wanted Lavi gone, but the results outweigh all else at some point, so I understood it. And Peters will probably need more than a half of a good season to really prove how good he is too.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
The worst realization of all is that going cheap might have worked if they went with a good cheap option.

Though I think Velucci for sure would be doing better I don't think anyone in the league outside Trotz could compete for the playoffs with this team as composed... Maybe Lavi.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014

Knowing Velucci is doing a good job bringing the Canes prospects along is one of the only silver linings to this season. At least he didn't get poached away by a real NHL organization with the Canes hiring Chad LaRose to coach the Checkers for $20k a year.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
Knowing Velucci is doing a good job bringing the Canes prospects along is one of the only silver linings to this season. At least he didn't get poached away by a real NHL organization with the Canes hiring Chad LaRose to coach the Checkers for $20k a year.

Is he though? I mean, it's great they are winning against AHL competition, but when they get called up, nobody looks ready for the NHL. For example, it's super that he coached Zykov to all those AHL goals, but now Zykov's being passed around the waiver wire. Does he go in the well-developed column?

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Is he though? I mean, it's great they are winning against AHL competition, but when they get called up, nobody looks ready for the NHL. For example, it's super that he coached Zykov to all those AHL goals, but now Zykov's being passed around the waiver wire. Does he go in the well-developed column?

I think it is easy to confuse "nobody looks ready for the NHL" and "AHLers are being called up to play in the NHL on a line with two other AHLers". Realistically no AHL callup is going to blow the doors off with guys like Wallmark, Rask, Bishop, or even Staal driving their line's offense at Center.

Zykov being waived twice might not reflect well on him individually but the fact that he has been picked up twice means he has some desirability. In any case Velucci seems to be milking all the skill out of his roster. Canes absolutely have to develop a winning mentality at some level and Charlotte is 24-8-3 this year. Getting in the mindset of being the best in the league can't hurt.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Getting in the mindset of being the best in the league can't hurt.

I don't know, when I started in the uni they made a big deal out of it that up until now you have been among the best of your class on all levels, but now you're in a place where so has everyone else, and now it's the time to... Face Your Own Mediocrity!

(you can imagine the speech being delivered by R. Lee Ermey to give the anecdote some oomph, because yeah admittedly it's kind of crappy this way)

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Bishop's been solid in his callup, Bean looked competent, and even for all the battling of the puck going on for the guy Foegele at worst looks like a solid 4th liner/PKer right now. I trust the guy. That said you can't fix skating issues if they're bad enough (Zykov).

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
More likely we see offer sheet threads claiming Dundon can't/won't pay him.

Until Dundon spends more money on players than the absolute bare minimum required by the CBA the "Dundon is cheap" narrative will grow and thrive. Who knows if he actually is willing to put up the money required for Aho or at what point spending that money becomes "irresponsible"? We know he wouldn't spend the $7 million on ROR to give Brind'Amour the exact player he desired on a Cap Floor team.

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Until Dundon spends more money on players than the absolute bare minimum required by the CBA the "Dundon is cheap" narrative will grow and thrive. Who knows if he actually is willing to put up the money required for Aho or at what point spending that money becomes "irresponsible"? We know he wouldn't spend the $7 million on ROR to give Brind'Amour the exact player he desired on a Cap Floor team.

Do we know that for sure? I have not seen anything official.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad