News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
Rask was the 4C after Staal returned from his absence in March; I think he'd probably end up back down there, if not dealt.

Ferland/Zykov - Aho - Teravainen
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Skinner - Necas - Svechnikov
Martinook - Rask - Ferland/Zykov
PDG

Aho and Necas both playing in the middle next season seems like a stretch, however.

You're probably right. I just think if Rask is relegated to 4th line duties, they may as well call up Montreal and take that 2nd round pick. Seems like a waste to have him play there.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
I would agree with you if Lindholm was still on the roster. The team has gone from being somewhat deep, in terms of potential of options, to thin at that position. If Necas isn't ready or Aho can't cut it, they'll need someone capable of playing Top 9 minutes to slide up. Perhaps that's why they were still talking to Ryan.

EDIT: Or in the case of injury.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
You're probably right. I just think if Rask is relegated to 4th line duties, they may as well call up Montreal and take that 2nd round pick. Seems like a waste to have him play there.

I think it depends on how they use the 4th line. If it has players like Martinook and McLovin on it, probably not the best place for Rask. If it’s an offensive 4th line with say Zykov and PDG (or Saarela, or IDK) it could be interesting. 10-12 minutes a night against crap competition.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
I think it depends on how they use the 4th line. If it has players like Martinook and McLovin on it, probably not the best place for Rask. If it’s an offensive 4th line with say Zykov and PDG (or Saarela, or IDK) it could be interesting. 10-12 minutes a night against crap competition.

That's fair. New coach, new philosophy. It'd be nice to have a 4th line that's capable of eating minutes and being a threat.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Unfortunately we know there definitely was a plan to get Grubauer and the Canes made the best offer. Really hoping they worked out a Plan B and Plan C once that failed. Dundon being super frustrated about asset values in his recent interview doesn't inspire a lot of confidence. Feels like all the Metro teams told him to **** off and now they are sorting through the bargain bin options.

Then why wouldn't they turn around and make the Avs an offer tbey couldnt refuse for him and give the big middle finger to DC?

raynman

Jan 20, 2013
Why arent Fogele or Zykov part of this after the way they played at the end of this year?

Wouldn’t the only place for them be on the 4th line? I admit I didn’t watch the end of the season due to a hectic schedule. I’m in the camp that’d rather play guys who project as “higher” up in the lineup play meaningful minutes and then get the call rather than play less than 10 minutes a night. But as others mentioned it probably will depend upon how Brind’Amour deploys his 4th line.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
I respectfully dissent.

Zykov/Aho/Teravainen

That has to be the top offensive-leaning line to begin the season. Zykov played 9 games with Aho and TT (remember the last game BP played him with Roy for some reason). In those 9 games he was 3g/4a and +4, Aho was 4g/4a +5, TT was 2g/3a +3.

Then the remaining lines are something like:

McGinn/Staal/Svechnikov
Ferland/Necas/Williams
Foegele/Rask/Martinook

Keep the rookies to one per line to start the season. If Necas starts well, flip him with Staal. The Rask line should be able to play 11-12 minutes of ES time both scoring and checking.

FlyingSquirrels

Jul 5, 2011
I respectfully dissent.

Zykov/Aho/Teravainen

That has to be the top offensive-leaning line to begin the season. Zykov played 9 games with Aho and TT (remember the last game BP played him with Roy for some reason). In those 9 games he was 3g/4a and +4, Aho was 4g/4a +5, TT was 2g/3a +3.

McGinn/Staal/Svechnikov
Ferland/Necas/Williams
Foegele/Rask/Martinook

Keep the rookies to one per line to start the season. If Necas starts well, flip him with Staal. The Rask line should be able to play 11-12 minutes of ES time both scoring and checking.
I get the 1 rookie per line reasoning, but the ones to flip would be Williams and Svech.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Zykov got a 10 game stint to end the year largely with Aho and TT. In his 10 games he put up 7 5v5 points good for 3.34 P/60 and 2.86 P1/60. The next highest player (>10 games) for each stat was Connor McDavid with 3.20 P/60 and Auston Matthews with 2.60 P1/60. Only a 10 game sample size, but Zykov was scoring at a significantly higher rate than McDavid and Matthews.

He definitely earned another look.
... and needs to be signed now for that to be able to happen. His ELC is up.

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina

Confirmation.

I respectfully dissent.

Zykov/Aho/Teravainen

McGinn/Staal/Svechnikov
Ferland/Necas/Williams
Foegele/Rask/Martinook

Nine games. He looked good, but nine games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad