News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
I read an article from Chip Alexander that said new cane Ferland is 4 years sober i believe. That will be nice for Darling to have someone to relate to. Ill post the link when i find it.

How the Canes helped themselves by trading for Flames' forward Ferland

Here is an interview with Ferland on 99.9 today
Ferland: I'd be a perfect fit with Aho and Teravainen

He may not be wrong. Aho and TT played well with Savinainen at the World Championships who has a similar game to Ferland. Works hard on the boards, high energy, physical, and isn't a black hole offensively.

UNCCHcane

Nov 26, 2008
He may not be wrong. Aho and TT played well with Savinainen at the World Championships who has a similar game to Ferland. Works hard on the boards, high energy, physical, and isn't a black hole offensively.

I like that the guy comes in and wants to be put in a spot to be successful and believes he can succeed with offensive players. Team already is starting to have a different feel, to me at least.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
just listened to Ferland's interview. he was explicitly asked how he would fit with Aho and Teravainen and said "yeah, sure, that could work" in essence. just to get ahead of any runaway storylines.
Can you believe how Ferland talked that much shit about the other wingers on this team? Thinks he can just stroll up and take 1st line duties. The cajones on this guy. And to hear Fox is already saying he should be in the NHL this year? Man, locker room cancers, the whole lot!

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
If Ferland can be successful on the top line, that probably makes a potential Skinner deal easier to work around. Not that they play the same game by any stretch, but I'm not loving the depth on the left side without him. Who do you stick with Jordan and Justin, though? PDG? McGinn? Someone new?

I realize thinking about line combinations at this point is silly, but it's not even July yet. We've got to talk about something.

May 23, 2016
Raleigh, NC
You saying this and then on the interview he made the Tom Wilson comparison which isnt bad putting aside the questionable hits he makes.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
You gotta feel for Ferland. He works himself out of a hole, onto a productive line with Monohan and Gadreau and scores 20 goals/40 points, then gets traded for his contract year to a team that's historically been a scoring wasteland. He now has an uphill battle to recreate the contract year that he had visions of a month ago.

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
You gotta feel for Ferland. He works himself out of a hole, onto a productive line with Monohan and Gadreau and scores 20 goals/20 points, then gets traded for his contract year to a team that's historically been a scoring wasteland. He now has an uphill battle to recreate the contract year that he had visions of a month ago.
Yeah but the other option was being coached by Bill Peters....

vorbis

bunch of likes
Feb 9, 2013
YTZ
So does Aho slide to the middle this season?
As of now the roster looks something like this?
Ferland/Aho/TT
McGinn/Staal/Williams
Skinner/Rask/Svechnikov
PDG/Martinook/Manalananenemen
guessing that you'll have to find a spot for Necas on one of these lines, as he's ticketed to start the season on the NHL roster for the 2nd year in a row

What the Faulk

You'll know when you go
May 30, 2005
North Carolina
So does Aho slide to the middle this season?
As of now the roster looks something like this?
Ferland/Aho/TT
McGinn/Staal/Williams
Skinner/Rask/Svechnikov
PDG/Martinook/Manalananenemen

Necas has gotten glowing reviews at the development camp. I think they're going to give him every opportunity to make the team. If Aho moves to center, I think Rask either gets traded or plays the wing where I'm interested in seeing how he fares.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
AHL to 1st line winger in 5 months...

sure, why not

Zykov got a 10 game stint to end the year largely with Aho and TT. In his 10 games he put up 7 5v5 points good for 3.34 P/60 and 2.86 P1/60. The next highest player (>10 games) for each stat was Connor McDavid with 3.20 P/60 and Auston Matthews with 2.60 P1/60. Only a 10 game sample size, but Zykov was scoring at a significantly higher rate than McDavid and Matthews.

He definitely earned another look.

Boats Ahoes

Apr 28, 2011
AHL to 1st line winger in 5 months...

sure, why not

Led the AHL in goals, followed by 7 points in 10 NHL games. Not saying he’s the 3rd most talented forward on the team obviously, but he doesn’t have to be. If our current leading option for that position is Michael Ferland, then no reason why Zykov can’t fill it more effectively imo.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
Necas has gotten glowing reviews at the development camp. I think they're going to give him every opportunity to make the team. If Aho moves to center, I think Rask either gets traded or plays the wing where I'm interested in seeing how he fares.

Rask was the 4C after Staal returned from his absence in March; I think he'd probably end up back down there, if not dealt.

Ferland/Zykov - Aho - Teravainen
McGinn - Staal - Williams
Skinner - Necas - Svechnikov
Martinook - Rask - Ferland/Zykov
PDG

Aho and Necas both playing in the middle next season seems like a stretch, however.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad