News and Notes XXII: Now With More Finnish!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
So Eklund is throwing it out there that “a couple of sources not too close” are suggesting Hanifin wants out of here.

He’s usually very wrong.

"When Elliotte Friedman says or writes something the hockey world listens. So it was that the Sportsnet analyst ignited a firestorm in Vancouver with one sentence.5. Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver. That’s all it took for speculation to abound in the market about the chances of Vancouver reeling in the Carolina Hurricanes’ promising young defenceman. For those who don’t regularly read Friedman’s weekly 31 Thoughts column or listen to his podcast (with Jeff Marek) of the same name, it’s exactly that: 31 thoughts. This isn’t to say that Friedman just put stuff out there for no reason. He’s a consummate professional and there’s always a reason behind everything he reports."

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC

If we did go the hip hop/rap route, we'd be one of only two teams with a goal song from that genre. The other being Buffalo.

Its just gotta be a song that breathes "North Carolina". I always love it in Nashville when they play the Tim McGraw song and it goes "I like it, I love it, I want some more of it. I try, so hard. I cant rise above it. Dont know what it is about those PREDATORS SCORING but I Like it, I love it, I want some more of it." So they personalize it even. We have to find something thats as personal as that.

Ahem...

Anyone remember the really dumb song they did during games where a guy sang "What's the name of the team CAROLINA HURRICANES" over and over again?

I do indeed - IIRC the artist who recorded that sued the Canes for royalties. Given we never heard anything about it afterwards I'll assume they settled out of court for an undisclosed amount with the agreement they not use it in the future.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
"When Elliotte Friedman says or writes something the hockey world listens. So it was that the Sportsnet analyst ignited a firestorm in Vancouver with one sentence.5. Stealth team for Noah Hanifin: Vancouver. That’s all it took for speculation to abound in the market about the chances of Vancouver reeling in the Carolina Hurricanes’ promising young defenceman. For those who don’t regularly read Friedman’s weekly 31 Thoughts column or listen to his podcast (with Jeff Marek) of the same name, it’s exactly that: 31 thoughts. This isn’t to say that Friedman just put stuff out there for no reason. He’s a consummate professional and there’s always a reason behind everything he reports."

The idea Hanifin wants out of here, when you consider his Dad's posts from last year or the year before seems like a believable idea. Hopefully, a year under Brindamour changes his outlook on the team.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
His alleged 'Dad' was unhappy with how he was being used by Peters. Felt he was being put in a position to fail, and it was bad for his development. Nobody actually knows who the poster was exactly, but family member was the overwhelming theory.
To a certain extent, I would agree that he was somewhat misused by Peters....mostly by not giving him nearly enough PP time once Faulk proved offensively impotent. He started to make strides up to the All Star game and then seemed to be stunted.

Still, I doubt any stories that he's dissatisfied in a broad sense. What I am concerned about is that guys like Hanifin, Lindholm, and TVR haven't been extended given there's not really any other contract issues the front office should be dealing with until 7/1.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
To a certain extent, I would agree that he was somewhat misused by Peters....mostly by not giving him nearly enough PP time once Faulk proved offensively impotent. He started to make strides up to the All Star game and then seemed to be stunted.

Still, I doubt any stories that he's dissatisfied in a broad sense. What I am concerned about is that guys like Hanifin, Lindholm, and TVR haven't been extended given there's not really any other contract issues the front office should be dealing with until 7/1.

Shouldn’t be worried. Zero top RFAs have signed. Hanifin, Lindholm, and TVR are waiting for their comparables to sign contracts. No real incentive for them to sign before teams have a chance to offer sheet them or sign comparable players to monster contracts.

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
despite what anyone says to the contrary, vegas is perhaps the best thing to happen to the nhl from a health of the league standpoint in quite some time. it reminds me of when the avalanche relocated and were immediately cup winners and how that created a throng of avalanche supporters in a market where the nhl was something of an afterthought. getting vegas behind the knights has been seamless because of the winning, and when the league wins each franchise wins with revenue sharing. it would be interesting to learn how much the league has already made on vegas.

Hulkacaniac

You MUST
Jun 4, 2015
NC

That’s certainly a gob of money we would have to spend on top of any additional spending we planned

giphy.gif

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
despite what anyone says to the contrary, vegas is perhaps the best thing to happen to the nhl from a health of the league standpoint in quite some time. it reminds me of when the avalanche relocated and were immediately cup winners and how that created a throng of avalanche supporters in a market where the nhl was something of an afterthought. getting vegas behind the knights has been seamless because of the winning, and when the league wins each franchise wins with revenue sharing. it would be interesting to learn how much the league has already made on vegas.

Agreed. Love seeing another sunbelt team do well.

I had my doubts at first that the city would warm up to major league sports but they have proven me wrong.

Anton Dubinchuk

aho
Sponsor
Jul 18, 2010
Atlanta, GA

Everyone give Vagrant kudos - I distinctly remember him saying Marchessault was a beast last year and not a one-hit wonder. Good call.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014

Faulk is 26 years old and is the franchise leader for d-men in goals, assists, and points.

Also worth pointing out, look at their respective PP TOI and PPP...Faulk was more productive on the PP this past year.

#notJustin'sDadorWife

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Everyone give Vagrant kudos - I distinctly remember him saying Marchessault was a beast last year and not a one-hit wonder. Good call.

I wanted us to go after him hard back during the pre-expansion draft period where people were saying he might shake loose from Florida. Turns out McPhee made us (and other teams) sacrifice any hopes of doing moves like that if we wanted to do any deals for players Vegas picked, so yeah, good move on their part. He, Neal, MAF and Schmidt are why I was much more generous to their chances before this season than most- I was bold enough to call them a bubble team. :laugh:

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Yeah we've all seen that since it came out. What's that got to do with Eklund saying Hanifin WANTS out? That's why I posted it. No one anywhere at any point has said he wants out. Thought peeps would find that interesting or funny considering the source.

Negan4Coach

Fantastic and Stochastic
Aug 31, 2017
Raleigh, NC

Yes, but I have the feeling that when they come back to earth, the fans who have been spoiled by immediate success will feel cheated and bail.

Primetime8

Oct 10, 2014
Columbia, SC
Yeah we've all seen that since it came out. What's that got to do with Eklund saying Hanifin WANTS out? That's why I posted it. No one anywhere at any point has said he wants out. Thought peeps would find that interesting or funny considering the source.

I found it funny that the writer thinks Eklund is some crazy good trustworthy source. That's all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad