News and Notes XVII: Training Camp Underway

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Incidentally, that poem ends the same way as most Hurricanes games.

okay, i'll use this one then

Willows whiten, aspens shiver.
The sunbeam showers break and quiver
In the stream that runneth ever
By the island in the river
Flowing down to Camelot.
Four gray walls, and four gray towers
Overlook a space of flowers,
And the silent isle imbowers
The Lady of Shalott.

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Skinner speaking at the STM Breakfast and he is extremely uncomfortable.

Justin Faulk out skating in front of the crowd. Working one on one with Steve Smith. Looks to be no problem with his mobility.

Sweet, I wasn't the only one out there. I feel less slack for not talking about it until today then. :laugh: Got to meet Don Waddell when he greeted me and my buddy when we sidled up to the breakfast line (catering by Bojangles? Do they know this crowd or do they know this crowd?) He didn't introduce himself before I recognized him, insisted we call him "Don" and thanked us for coming out and showing our support. I agree that Skinner seemed massively uncomfortable but was a good sport to Forslund's questions. Crowd got to Q&A with Forslund. Questions asked ranged from Forslund's thoughts on the goaltending situation (he sees it as the goalies having to face too many shots right now), broadcast aspects (whether there'd be more of Tripp between the benches this season, having a member of the broadcast team in the stands every now and again), the changeover from an independent Hurricanes app to the NHL app, etc. During the end of the Q&A, Faulk came out in a yellow no-contact jersey to do some work with Steve Smith, as mentioned. Rest of the team came out a little later. Cam was out for maybe half the practice before heading back in. Jorge Alves was also dressed out in his goalie gear - the people sitting behind me thought Alves was Cam, which was hilarious. Noticed Peters having a pretty solid one-on-one instructional time with Nordstrom (I'd say they talked for a good 15-20 minutes) and then he spent about 5 minutes more with Murphy. Marcoux was working extensively with Lack, while Smith's attention was focused almost entirely on Faulk and later, both Faulk and Murphy. No Caps practice, which was disappointing.

Postscript, my buddy and I went to Anvil's for lunch and Chuck Kaiton was in line behind us. Didn't get a chance to talk to Chuck. I nodded and said hello but he ignored us, so he seemed like he wanted to do some prep for the game tonight while he ate his lunch.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Looks like Coyotes are getting themselves a new stadium. So that means we will be the permenant scapegoat for any relocation rumors for a while /:

garnetpalmetto

Jerkministrator
Jul 12, 2004
Durham, NC
Looks like Coyotes are getting themselves a new stadium. So that means we will be the permenant scapegoat for any relocation rumors for a while /:

I'm glad to see the 'yotes off the hot seat, not so much to see us get on it. If there's one fanbase that has put up with more crap than we have, it's probably the Coyotes fans.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Went to a lunch today with Eric Tulsky as a speaker. Between being very humble and fairly guarded about the methods and sources he used, there wasn't much valuable information to be gained. He did say he felt Hanifin and Slavin in particular were being underrated.

The Stranger

May 4, 2014
It's amazing that Forslund continues to peddle "the goalies are facing too many shots."

It's hard to believe he would say that considering they are one of the better teams in terms of shots allowed per game.

Maybe he was saying they give up too many high quality shots / scoring chances per game?

The team has a sub-par SV%...so shots allowed per game aside, either the goalies are sub-par, the team is giving up too many grade-a chances, they have been unlucky, or some combination thereof.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
It's amazing that Forslund continues to peddle "the goalies are facing too many shots."

It's weird wording. If he said too many high quality shots, I don't think anyone would blink. Wonder why he doesn't specify.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
He could mean that, but that is also not true at all.

As comparably objective as John is, he's still a company man. This and most organizations refuse to blame goaltending even when it's terrible. The most you'll get is that the goalies need to be better but, so do the 18 guys in front of him. If you asked him his actual opinion at a non team sponsored event, he might sing a different tune. Or maybe not after watching the few games prior to the Washington game where they were giving up grade A chances all over the place.

Finnish Jerk Train

lol stupid mickey mouse organization
Apr 7, 2008
Raleigh
southeast alaska is p nice tbh

its a lot like british columbia

the only problem with juneau is theres no road out of town so we should all get our pilots licenses and pitch in for a floatplane

Unsustainable

Seth Jarvis is Elite
Apr 14, 2012
North Carolina
Lines from practice:
Skinner-Rask-Lindholm
Teravainen-Staal-Aho
Stempniak-Ryan-McGinn
Nordstrom-McClement-Stalberg

TSA line worked good, if the first line comes back around we are good to go.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
It's best to read his tweets as cryptic hints at what's going on with the team. For example, I would interpret these to mean that we are about to trade for Zdeno Chara, then move the team to Juneau.

Or we're going to trade for Joe Juneau and move the team to Klando.

I'll show m

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad